Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default DC media embargoes

Why does DC/WBD have such strict embargoes when it comes to a Deathstroke for example appearing on tv and the big screen? On another board, someone posted that Lex Luthor was only allowed to be used for one episode on Titans. Superman has a ton of rogues to choose from and Lex isn't even the biggest or most important villain. Interesting how Smallville was able to use Lex for as long as they wanted. Would have stopped the show dead in its tracks with an embargo. By imposing the restrictions it really limits what the tv shows can do, which is unfair. Do they assume the audience is dumb enough or would be confused by having different iterations on different formats? Another egregious examples would be Gotham, where they have a character who looks and acts like Joker but is not called Joker. Think about how much better Arrow would have been being able to incorporate their Suicide Squad into the show and have Batman make guest appearances Batwoman have CW's version of Batman. What's the harm? Otherwise it looks really awkward and open to plot holes teasing Harley and then never referring to her again in the show Or Kate Kane make references to cousin Bruce but we never get to see him. I say remove the embargoes allow for different iterations to be seen on both small and big screens. I mean when people look at art in a museum, some paintings look similar to others, so with DC tv and film, why should it be different? And then meanwhile, on the animated side they have free reign on any character.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Because they think that the audience is stupid and they don't want multiple versions running around or being "tainted" when they have an idea for one of them that is 5 years away.

They embargoed an animated Aquaman because of Justin Hartleys Aquaman pilot that was live action...

Sometimes it has to do with licensing deals WB/DC may have with different companies for the use of certain characters. Granted, DC itself owns the characters, but different studios may have exclusive deals with WB/DC for the use of those characters in anything that's live action (like movies or TV).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sometimes it has to do with licensing deals WB/DC may have with different companies for the use of certain characters. Granted, DC itself owns the characters, but different studios may have exclusive deals with WB/DC for the use of those characters in anything that's live action (like movies or TV).
    This is probably the best answer. As to why DC does this, I'd guess it's less DC's idea than the companies licensing the characters for their TV, movies, etc. If I'm doing a live action Aquaman show, I wouldn't want a cartoon around to eat away at the audience, so exclusivity is in the contract. An early example of this was the introduction of H.E.R.B.I.E. in a Marvel FF cartoon since the Human Torch's rights were tied up elsewhere at the time.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Except none of the characters embargoed in the past have been outlicensed.

Ted Kord was embargoed for 9 years straight with not one thing coming out with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is probably the best answer. As to why DC does this, I'd guess it's less DC's idea than the companies licensing the characters for their TV, movies, etc. If I'm doing a live action Aquaman show, I wouldn't want a cartoon around to eat away at the audience, so exclusivity is in the contract. An early example of this was the introduction of H.E.R.B.I.E. in a Marvel FF cartoon since the Human Torch's rights were tied up elsewhere at the time.
    Aquaman was a WB production so it wasn't a different studio or anything.

Warner Bros almost canceled Smallville because they didn't want it to be on at the same time as SR
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-14-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Except none of the characters embargoed in the past have been outlicensed.

Ted Kord was embargoed for 9 years straight with not one thing coming out with him.
    Who said he was "embargoed"?

Maybe nobody with authority had a burning desire to use Ted Kord when other characters were available instead?

Incredible Member

Maybe nobody with authority had a burning desire to use Ted Kord when other characters were available instead?
    Brandom Routh was going to play Ted Kord on Arrow instead of Ray Palmer, or at least the original idea was to ise Kord, but they Weren't allowed to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Brandom Routh was going to play Ted Kord on Arrow instead of Ray Palmer, or at least the original idea was to ise Kord, but they Weren't allowed to use him.
    Lord knows why when it's not like Ted is the one the Blue Beetle movie is about. And that was like 10 years ago. These people are idiots.

Arrow tried every season to use him. They were denied every time. Like the other post said, it's what lead The Atom being introduced instead.

I enjoyed Routh as Ray, so in terms of embargoes, I'm not that upset about it. He would've given us a good Ted, however.

Hopefully, DC is done with that; there have been baby steps toward moving past that, but they just don't stick.

Flash making a big screen debut while the show is airing. Although the movie got pushed back so much, now it's coming out after the show finally ends.

Reeves Batman, which was going to be followed by the return of Keaton a year later.

Although, what Gunn said about the multiverse makes me think we won't be so limited. If a character fits into a story (live-action, animated) I don't see the point in pushing them out, we'd actually get better content otherwise.

Plus, some of them are stupid. Like Ted Kord of all people not being allowed to be on Arrow. Wasn't Hal Jordan not allowed either?
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Wasn't Hal Jordan not allowed either?
    Yeah, because according to the showrunners, WB "had plans" for him. Amusing, right?

And we all know that Diana is always off the table. They couldn't even give the island the name if i remember correctly in LoT.

And we all know that Diana is always off the table. They couldn't even give the island the name if i remember correctly in LoT.
    I think they didn't outright say the name but they subtitled it as Themyscira.

Argus also had a cell for Cheetah but they never did anything with it.

Incredible Member

Actually, the name of the island was actually Themyscira (on 1253 B.C.)

I like to think Helen of Troy becoming an amazon called Troy was kind of a reference to Donna.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Wasn't Hal Jordan not allowed either?
    Yes and I think it was an issue back for Justice League Cartoon.

I want to say McDuffie and Timm's way way way early pitch had Hal and Vixen on the team.

They got told they couldn't use either and then we got the later versions before the final one.

I think that "we got plans" was the issue. In other words SOMETHING was being talked about or discusses or set to do and as always fell apart once other projects started.

It happen to Aquaman that got him off Smallville and JLU that lead to that Mercy Reef pilot.

It happen to Firestorm in JLU and that got us Booster Gold episode with Plastic Man references.

Joker not being in Legion of Doom because of another show.

Black Lightning for Static Shock numerous times.