View Poll Results: What should WB do about Ezra Miller?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reboot the universe and junk the DCEU

29 31.87%
  • Quietly recast

41 45.05%
  • Replace Barry with Wally/someone else

29 31.87%
  • Other

6 6.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I honestly think most of us just forget rather than out of any transphobia.
    Of course in my case the forgetting is especially worse because I just explained that in another thread and then still forgot again posting here.
    They have a traditionally male name and we know them from playing male characters. I think people could try a hell of a lot harder to remember their pronouns but I understand why some people have a hard time. I try to go over my posts before posting to make sure I didn't make that mistake

They literally can't do that - they need to try to recoup some money as is, reshooting not only makes it certain that they'll lose any chance at making a profit, but it'll ensure heavy financial losses on this film. They'd sooner scrap the movie than reshoot it, they'd lose far less money scrapping it than reshooting it, and that's a fact. And as others explained, they can't scrap it either because they've sunk too much money into it and have already filmed at least one other movie spinning out of it. For better or worse they have to release the film, and they can't reshoot Miller out.
    Let’s not pretend that what happens with this movie will cause WB to go bankrupt. While not ideal, the company can afford to scrap the entire project and still keep the doors open. I could see the logic in not spending hundreds of millions of dollars to essentially reshoot an entire movie; that would require blockbuster status just to break even. But plenty of movies fall well short of the cost to make them. If recasting and reshooting is not cost effective, I think they can withstand the money they have thus far invested going into the red column. I think if they press forward “as is” and even more weird **** keeps coming out or if Miller ends up getting arrested, the PR disaster alone would make it not worthwhile.

Retired

My final position on this is to wait. The movie is not scheduled to come out for almost a year. A lot can happen in that time. There's nothing to be done now as it is.

What do people expect Warner Bros. to do? The person worked for them, now they've been released from their contract. W.B. has no authority in the matter beyond that. They aren't the police. If they did try to do something, they could be putting themselves in a legal quagmire.

It's up to the legal system to decide what happens next, if any laws have been broken. Since I'm not a lawyer or a police officer--or a psychiatrist--it's not for me to talk about that stuff. It's not in my purview. I'm here to talk about comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    They have a traditionally male name and we know them from playing male characters. I think people could try a hell of a lot harder to remember their pronouns but I understand why some people have a hard time. I try to go over my posts before posting to make sure I didn't make that mistake
    Of course a mistake is not a big deal, but I've already spoken to people who feel that they shouldn't respect someone's pronouns because of something reprehensible they've done, and I noticed folks using he/him for Ezra a lot here so wanted to remind people. Someone accidentally using the wrong pronouns because they aren't used to it is more understandable to me but who's to say which of these intentions is more prevalent than the other?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Astonishing Member

I honestly think most of us just forget rather than out of any transphobia.
    Of course in my case the forgetting is especially worse because I just explained that in another thread and then still forgot again posting here.
    It's decades of using him/he/she/her programmed into us. It's no wonder posters are going to forget to use they/them. Most of the posters here are not transphobic but people can generalize that they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    Let’s not pretend that what happens with this movie will cause WB to go bankrupt. While not ideal, the company can afford to scrap the entire project and still keep the doors open. I could see the logic in not spending hundreds of millions of dollars to essentially reshoot an entire movie; that would require blockbuster status just to break even. But plenty of movies fall well short of the cost to make them. If recasting and reshooting is not cost effective, I think they can withstand the money they have thus far invested going into the red column. I think if they press forward “as is” and even more weird **** keeps coming out or if Miller ends up getting arrested, the PR disaster alone would make it not worthwhile.
    The problem is also in shelving a movie that features Keaton as Batman and sets up a bunch of other movies that are in production or already finished. It also could well mean violating numerous contracts and getting sued.

Miller is a lunatic, but there aren't a lot of options here on any level. They might as well put it out and let the chips fall where they may.

BANNED

To be frank, the claim of kidnapping is kind of bull, the girl is an adult now and is with him willingly. I just can't call that kidnapping no matter how I try and stretch my mind around it.
    The allegations that he groomed her before she became an adult tho is a valid concern. His interactions with minors is still the most concerning thing I'm worried about.
    Agreed. An actor being a crazy person isn't anything new and, relatively speaking, not anything major. I don't really care if they own a bunch of guns and smoke too much pot. Bar scuffles and insane behavior that didn't result in serious injury isn't cool, but it's also still in "this person needs help" territory. The grooming stuff, if true, is very dark and disturbing.

BANNED

I'm convinced people who are digging their heels in about him here are either very young and raised in protest culture, or just can't separate that as bad as some people can be it just isn't your problem to try to 'punish' them. Plenty of worse things going on in the world right now that we can actually try to change, and we're fighting about who's defending Ezra because... why? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but needing to beat this drum as if we are the jury who will decide his eventual fate is silly.

This isn't about if he should continue in the role or not, that ship has sailed, the only thing relevant is whether an already completely finished movie should be released, and yet that has unbelievably turned into side-choosing. I have no real opinion on him as The Flash but I want to see Keaton in the role and make the best of a bad situation. I simply do not believe as a core value that we are the moral arbiters of people we will never meet or have a moral duty to challenge anyone we deem unfit, and at the end of the day you have to recognize that people don't have to think the same as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    Except that corporations in America are legally acquired to make their shareholders the most money they can, or at least try to. It's dumb, but it's how it is. Plus what's the downside for them to release it. Worst case scenario, they lose less money releasing it than not. Corporations prioritize financial gain over any moral feelings.

Extraordinary Member

IMHO this guy should have never been cast in the first place.

For those of us who grew up reading Flash or JLofA, there is nothing that this actor brought to the table that anywhere closely resembled Barry Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

For those of us who grew up reading Flash or JLofA, there is nothing that this actor brought to the table that anywhere closely resembled Barry Allen.
    I agree. I've never been sold on Ezra as The Flash.

Can WB not find a guy with blonde hair to play the Flash? Or a red head to play Wally?

Should not be that hard.

I did not mind Ezra as the Flash as I stated but I want him gone now.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

So some things are turning out to be false.

https://cabanadoleitor.com.br/ezra-m...-vida-diz-mae/

Why won’t the police find him so everything can he set straight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I mean, the Flash is my favorite comics franchise and I've been reading for decades and I would disagree. A lot of comic characters aren't exactly the same on film, but as long as the spirit of the character is there, that's what's important. Barry was always a brilliant, socially awkward, big hearted geek that loved superheroes. The movie version certainly fits that.

Also, Miller didn't write or direct Justice League. They didn't choose how the character would be written and portrayed.

Not defending their behavior, but I feel like the differences between comics Barry and movie Barry are fairly superficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I mean, the Flash is my favorite comics franchise and I've been reading for decades and I would disagree. A lot of comic characters aren't exactly the same on film, but as long as the spirit of the character is there, that's what's important. Barry was always a brilliant, socially awkward, big hearted geek that loved superheroes. The movie version certainly fits that.

Also, Miller didn't write or direct Justice League. They didn't choose how the character would be written and portrayed.

Not defending their behavior, but I feel like the differences between comics Barry and movie Barry are fairly superficial.
    He didn't look like traditional Barry but as you said, I think Barry's character traits were there. He was a socially awkward comic book nerd interested in science and forensics. I just think Ezra's performance sometimes went too far with the adorkable comedy, but that was probably more on the director.