View Poll Results: What should WB do about Ezra Miller?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reboot the universe and junk the DCEU

29 31.87%
  • Quietly recast

41 45.05%
  • Replace Barry with Wally/someone else

29 31.87%
  • Other

6 6.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    actors get bonuses depending on how the film does
    depends on the contract. For an established actor with good representation on a film like this you expect residuals and bonuses.
    The J-man

IMO just release both film as is. For any potential sequels just re-cast the actor and actress. Everything else is drama.
    Let the civil and legal spheres sort out issues in their own spheres. Let the Twitter sphere eat itself while the sane universe continues to go to work and deal with more pressing issues.

Amber Heard is a problematic employee? Cool. Fire her and replace.
    Ezra Miller is a problematic employee? Cool. Fire him and replace.
    Pay them both what they're due for services rendered and move on.

Extraordinary Member

Regardless of what they do with content they've largely created; going forward they need to be VERY much more careful in who they cast and who they hire in any role. They don't seem to do even minimal vetting of cast or directors and the like. Let's face it, Whedon's issues were well known even outside Hollywood for years before. Sure, Marvel managed to get some work out of him without any reported issues, but WB had to have known what a risk working with a guy like that was, yet they hired him anyway, and didn't supervise him closely enough. There were rumors about Heard for a while as well. Miller...I don't know what was known before all this. But something had to have been known. Enough to raise red flags. In the future, WB needs to look for those flags and heed them before trusting millions of dollars to any of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Crazy thought here...

We separate the actor from the character. They release the movie, and find a better Barry Allen, while Miller fades away.

They recast Batman, Superman, James Bond, why is this any different?
    If it was a small movie they would have cancelled it already. The problem is this movie is going to have to make close to a billion in order to turn a profit. So they cant just release nor can they outright cancel it.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    actors get bonuses depending on how the film does
    I would be shocked if their antics haven’t broken some clause of their contract

Crazy thought here...

We separate the actor from the character. They release the movie, and find a better Barry Allen, while Miller fades away.

They recast Batman, Superman, James Bond, why is this any different?
    no people like to know who you are what you believe in. Just like with companies people don't like to support individuals they feel are immoral or have done something untoward. Consumers are more aware of their power and impact. And the longer an actor portrays a character the more they bleed into one another see the Marvel films. Thor, Ironman etc.

That said, I don't think Ezra has fully reached the point of no return. If there are no more bombshells, WB will try to do damage control. So therapy, an apology and limited press. This a multiverse film that WB hopes hits $1 billion or more. It's suppose to relaunch their univserse and they even have Batman in it.

However, if another bombshell drops and Ezra does something worse that really builds up public sentiment against him Warner may have no choice. Or if more unfavorable news comes out about the grooming or the children staying at his compound etc.

Again all speculation, I don't even know all the details to the prior incidents. Who knows how this will go.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Regardless of what they do with content they've largely created; going forward they need to be VERY much more careful in who they cast and who they hire in any role. They don't seem to do even minimal vetting of cast or directors and the like. Let's face it, Whedon's issues were well known even outside Hollywood for years before. Sure, Marvel managed to get some work out of him without any reported issues, but WB had to have known what a risk working with a guy like that was, yet they hired him anyway, and didn't supervise him closely enough. There were rumors about Heard for a while as well. Miller...I don't know what was known before all this. But something had to have been known. Enough to raise red flags. In the future, WB needs to look for those flags and heed them before trusting millions of dollars to any of these people.
    Everyone wants what Marvel has, a connected universe that works as a springboard for more and more movies, but it's pretty clear none of them are willing to put in the work.

DC thinks they can snap their fingers and get an Avengers level movie.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There are things worth being bothered by and there are things that aren't...this is clearly the latter as it was a single misuse in a post that was otherwise respectful. If someone was purposefully misgendering someone over and over again that would be cause for alarm, but one time after doing it right multiple times? Making an issue out of that just comes across as pedantic.
    I'm not talking about a specific person, I'm talking about everyone continuing to misgender them. And as I said if it's not purposeful they can edit their post or just move on, but the problematic thing here is taking the time to explain why/how when it shouldn't be happening to begin with
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

BANNED

Everyone wants what Marvel has, a connected universe that works as a springboard for more and more movies, but it's pretty clear none of them are willing to put in the work.

Honestly, I don't think making that kind of thing work is as simple as just putting in the work. Marvel managed to do it, but that was like 14 years ago and it was new. It was lightning in a bottle. Even so, it had stumbles and recasts and movies that were only modest successes. Other studios have tried to do it and it didn't work. Marvel did work hard, but they were also very lucky.

Honestly, I just want quality movies. If they cross over, great. But I wish I could just enjoy a movie as it's own thing rather than it being an ad for another movie or event. And I want movies with different styles and tones, not something as homogenized as the MCU.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but the MCU thing isn't new and fresh anymore. I don't know if constantly trying to repeat that formula is the answer. Even Marvel itself seems to be struggling to recreate the excitement of the early MCU these days.

To be fair, we don't know what the new game plan is. I agree that I don't think that the Powers That be know what they're doing, but I think we need to see what they're planning to do beyond burning down the present slate to see how badly they've screwed up or how on track they actually are. (Still, the way that David Zaslav has pitched his intentions does make it sound like he thinks one can just go and make a cinematic universe just like that, which, as we've seen time and again, is more easily said than done.)

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think making that kind of thing work is as simple as just putting in the work. Marvel managed to do it, but that was like 14 years ago and it was new. It was lightning in a bottle. Even so, it had stumbles and recasts and movies that were only modest successes. Other studios have tried to do it and it didn't work. Marvel did work hard, but they were also very lucky.

Honestly, I just want quality movies. If they cross over, great. But I wish I could just enjoy a movie as it's own thing rather than it being an ad for another movie or event. And I want movies with different styles and tones, not something as homogenized as the MCU.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but the MCU thing isn't new and fresh anymore. I don't know if constantly trying to repeat that formula is the answer. Even Marvel itself seems to be struggling to recreate the excitement of the early MCU these days.
    Funny, but I'd actually argue that the post-Justice League era through the Discovery sellout (e.g. Aquaman through The Suicide Squad, possibly including Black Adam and whatever finished films Zaslav is planning to spare from his purge) are actually the closest the DCEU got to the MCU. I mean, the Phase One stuff was a lot more standalone with some minor connective tissue and the height of the MCU (so far) has involved investing in lesser-known characters, streaming, etc. Granted, WB did struggle to make this era profitable due to COVID and their mistake in dumping everything on HBOMax, but they had cracked the code more or less and were building a decent foundation if they wanted to bring back characters for event movies. Heck, if anything, Zaslav's purging of HBOMax content and lesser-known character projects seems to be taking him farther away from the MCU model, not closer to it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

"It was me, Barry".

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I suppose that's true, but the bulk of the payday has happened and I think their career is likely over at this point, so I feel like it's not a significant issue in the long run. I doubt Miller has much of a future in movies going forward.
    And it's highly likely all of Miller's money will be drained away from the numerous civil suits they'll be hit with in the coming years.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I would be shocked if their antics haven’t broken some clause of their contract
    Yes, many modern contracts have a morality clause in them that could allow WBD to get out of the terms of Miller's contract.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And it's highly likely all of Miller's money will be drained away from the numerous civil suits they'll be hit with in the coming years.
    Also a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I heard his parents are pretty well off so I don’t think Ezra will ever be suffering for money.