Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Netflix Animation Division Gets Gutted

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...220251819.html

This hurts. Animation hands down the best thing about Netflix for me. Moving away from creator driven work is going to hurt way more. Using Boss Baby as the model moving forward? I want to cry.

What does this mean?

It doesn't sound as bad as the headline.

However, it sounds like while the focus will shift to "established" properties with more advertising and merch rights, it will be at the cost of the avante garde animation.

Bone and a bunch of Dahl stuff got canned.

But Netflix Family is disputing some of the cancelled projects already.

Netflix had a historic run of profits followed by the biggest subscription drop during the current streamer wars. I suspect this is just the beginning of the creative purge and not even the biggest.

Didn't think Netflix would be the first one to buckle.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-20-2022 at 07:49 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Didn't think Netflix would be the first one to buckle.
    I'm surprised as well, but in retrospect, Disney and HBO have solid franchises to build on. Marvel, Star Wars, the DC stable, etc. Netflix doesn't have anything like that or an identity with its original programming the way HBO does. It will be interesting to see how they restructure/rebrand.

I was really looking forward to finally getting a proper Bone adaption or the Roald Dahl animated universe .

After the dismal Netflix results in Q1, I have a feeling a lot of projects/ series are going to get cancelled to save money and heads will roll

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    After the dismal Netflix results in Q1, I have a feeling a lot of projects/ series are going to get cancelled to save money and heads will roll
    That's not going to work. Netflix is a shark - it has to keep swimming or it dies.

I'm not sure anything is going to work when they're $15 billion in the hole and they can never ever stop generating content.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    That's not going to work. Netflix is a shark - it has to keep swimming or it dies.

I'm not sure anything is going to work when they're $15 billion in the hole and they can never ever stop generating content.
    They talked about cracking down on password sharing and introducing advertising, but all of a sudden there's a perfect storm of 1) People having less money due to inflation and tax hikes, 2) People spending less time at home due to the end of Covid restrictions, 3) Fierce competition from other streaming services, which wasn't the case some years ago, 4) Netflix has lost a lot of non original content, 5) And, in my opinion, a lot of new original Netflix content is poor, mainly their original movies.

But I guess, at the same time, they need to slash costs, which means getting rid of less promising projects.

Ultimate Member

Interestingly I was actually talking to my wife about canceling my Netflix subscription.

It just doesn’t seem worth it now because the recent price increase has really made me question the content I am paying for.

I only kept my subscription because my kids watch a couple of programs on there. There’s really too much streaming right now and if the companies can’t provide premium content at a reasonable price, then they should be prepared to struggle.

Raising prices while eliminating content does not sound like a winning plan.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They're thinking about putting ads on the lower sub plans and cracking down harder on account sharing. They are doing everything they can to further lose subs

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I cancelled Netflix last year because we just weren’t watching it. We didn’t love their original content enough for the price.

I do plan to rejoin in June for Umbrella Academy but then I’ll likely cancel again.

One thing they could do is distribute episodes weekly like the others are. Binging was revolutionary, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Right or wrong, that "Cuties" controversy didn't help either.

Interestingly, HBO/HBO Max have announced +3 million subscribers added during the last quarter, up to 76.8 million subscribers now.

I have to say I do agree with Netflix cracking down on password sharing - they've said they estimate ~100 million households watch Netflix without paying for it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This basically.