Default Jack Kirby New Gods better reprints

trying to decide which way to read Jack Kirby's The New Gods between the 2018 TPB or the 6 issue series(2 issues in each installment) printed in 1984. i assume there are difference in paper stock as well as coloring. the 2018 TPB also includes The Hunger Dogs graphic novel but if the paper and coloring doesn't do the series justice than that's a non-factor for me.

so yeah, if any Kirby fans could help me out, thanks in advance.

2018 TPB
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=46433218

6 issue mini
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=281901
    Last edited by BigLbo; 04-22-2022 at 06:34 AM.

The best way to read it by reading the full Fourth World saga available in:
    - Brand New Absolute editions - ongoing
    - One omnibus
    - 4 tpb

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    trying to decide which way to read Jack Kirby's The New Gods between the 2018 TPB or the 6 issue series(2 issues in each installment) printed in 1984. i assume there are difference in paper stock as well as coloring. the 2018 TPB also includes The Hunger Dogs graphic novel but if the paper and coloring doesn't do the series justice than that's a non-factor for me.

so yeah, if any Kirby fans could help me out, thanks in advance.

2018 TPB
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=46433218

6 issue mini
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=281901
    Ah crud. I was going to say go for the Fourth World HCs released a few years back but it looks like the prices have gone insane.
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=740561

These have the old school paper quality that shows the coloring how it was meant to be - not the new age glossy paper that makes the colors look too modern and incorrect.
    I saw some of the Fourth World HCs at my local comic shop recently - you might want to look around.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Ah crud. I was going to say go for the Fourth World HCs released a few years back but it looks like the prices have gone insane.
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=740561
    But like I said, DC is reprinting the Fourth World in brand new Absolute editions. Big size for the art and good qualité paper and cover. And even e slipcase if I'm not mistaking.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think the big Omnibus that is still in print is a reasonable way to go, but those Absolute Editions are designed to look like Mother Boxes, so even though I have the other collections, the absolutes look great. I really like the hard cover Jack Kirby Omnibus books they printed a few years back. They are not really oversized but the paper looks like newsprint so there is something about them that remind me of old comics. They are out of print but I think you could get the complete set used. They are probably too expensive when you look at the newer formats. https://www.goodreads.com/series/61281

thanks for the feedback everyone. i'm not committed enough to buy the omnibus or absolute type editions. the options i listed are most reasonably priced for me to test the waters. if i enjoy it that much i may get one of those later down the line, for now i just want to know how those 2 compare to one another.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

If you like Black and White art, you want to read all the 4th World Books someday, get the black and white trades. If you just want the New God series in color, get the limited series reprint. I haven’t read that exact reprint, but I have a couple of other reprints from that era. I think they made a Batman and Swamp Thing one. They look great and have new covers.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    But like I said, DC is reprinting the Fourth World in brand new Absolute editions. Big size for the art and good qualité paper and cover. And even e slipcase if I'm not mistaking.
    Yeah but the original post is almost entirely asking about new/old paper and how the colors look on that paper. New paper ruins the coloring of how many of these old books originally looked. It doesnt look the same at all.

As an example - Marvel's The Nam recieved a couple TPBs in the 80s that look identical to the original comics. In the early 2000s they released 3 Complete TPBs of The NAM - with new coloring on new paper. It doesnt look like the original at all.

If the newer New Gods absolute editions arent on that newsprint - they arent going to look identical to the original. The New Gods Omnis I posted ARE printed on that newsprint.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    thanks for the feedback everyone. i'm not committed enough to buy the omnibus or absolute type editions. the options i listed are most reasonably priced for me to test the waters. if i enjoy it that much i may get one of those later down the line, for now i just want to know how those 2 compare to one another.
    Just go for the 2018 TPB. $15 is crazy cheap. Just know that the New Gods book itself is just a tiny part of the New Gods overall Kirby Fourth World storyline. Youre missing the Jimmy Olsen, Forever People, and Mister Miracle parts.
    Last edited by Destro777; 04-24-2022 at 03:26 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Yeah but the original post is almost entirely asking about new/old paper and how the colors look on that paper. New paper ruins the coloring of how many of these old books originally looked. It doesnt look the same at all.

As an example - Marvel's The Nam recieved a couple TPBs in the 80s that look identical to the original comics. In the early 2000s they released 3 Complete TPBs of The NAM - with new coloring on new paper. It doesnt look like the original at all.

If the newer New Gods absolute editions arent on that newsprint - they arent going to look identical to the original. The New Gods Omnis I posted ARE printed on that newsprint.

Just go for the 2018 TPB. $15 is crazy cheap. Just know that the New Gods book itself is just a tiny part of the New Gods overall Kirby Fourth World storyline. Youre missing the Jimmy Olsen, Forever People, and Mister Miracle parts.
    thanks for the feedback.