View Poll Results: Who was a better Spider-Man writer?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Slott

47 45.19%
  • Nick Spencer

57 54.81%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    R*pe, attempted on MJ Watson and carried out on Peter Parker and others. Not all sexual misconduct is r*pe but let's just call it like it is.
    Yeah, it's incredibly disturbing

How does it make Mary Jane Watson a liar? Both Norman and Gwen are dead shortly after the Sins Past flashback.

She didn't know what became of the children or that Osborn survived the piercing of his heart. If she told Peter without evidence, she'd worry he'd think her a liar. Peter would have written it off as Osborn using psychoactive drugs on her. Harry would never have accepted his father had a fling with Gwen Stacy and possibly murdered his newborn brother and sister. Informing either man would have only strained the friendship between the three people. MJ may have believed that Peter would resent Harry in his father's absence. Later, Norman Osborn returns and commits Infanticide in retaliation for Harry's death, Osborn's "only son". A grieving mother would assume the villain who murdered her child either put his own up for adoption or, more likely, did the same to Gwen Stacy's babies.

What purpose does telling Peter Parker anything after so long serve? It would give him more incentive to attack Osborn again in front of security cameras and further validate the villain's smear campaign against Spider-man. Or give Osborn what he wanted when the Green Goblin attempted to commit suicide-by-superhero because he couldn't deal with his issues anymore. There wasn't a time to deal with that situation, and all signs pointed to Harry as the only child to survive to adulthood.

...Or that no other offspring existed before Sins Past.

Hooking up with a legal adult is socially frowned upon for age reasons but was entirely lawful. Osborn was already a sexist murderer of children.

Gwen Stacy did nothing wrong and the story was at odds with 616 canon before Editorial touched it.
    I'm not saying she should have told him then and their, I'm saying she should have told him in the decades of their relationship/marriage, specially once Norman came bak from the dead

Also it really wasn't at odds w/ editorial, back then we had CCA and the story we got is far more OOC than what we would have gotten

Also it doesn't have to be illegal to be disturbing, which it def. was.Not to mention making Gwen far more weak willed and in a retcon decades after her death to service the plot."Attracted to his strength and magnetism" lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I've heard a lot of people who do like Slott are one's who didn't read much of Pre-OMD Spidey or not consistent readers which I guess makes sense

Still in issue 2 of Superior Doc Ock s*xually assaults MJ and when he can't seem to get to the next step w/ her goes through Peter's and MJ's private memories which is just...

Even if one doesn't care for these characters how could one route for Ock here, mind you he did all these things w/ his own will

Also could you elaborate on how the retcon is worse, because the Original story made Gwen(and MJ a liar) and Norman a full blown creep, and it was mandated by editorial.I understand why people aren't happy w/ the retcon because it couldn't retcon the entire event, but how does it make it worse
    I didn't like what happened to MJ in that issue of Superior as I didn't like reading Spidey when Peter hit MJ. Just because you read a story doesn't mean you condone what's in it. And I heard the retcon really screwed up Harry and is extremely convoluted.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 05-02-2022 at 09:26 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I heard the retcon really screwed up Harry and is extremely convoluted.
    It only screwed Harry up if you liked him being revived in the first place. In my opinion it 'fixed' him.

But yeah, it is incredibly nuts and convoluted. In a fun way.

Harry was only revived because they were writing MJ out, and they wanted someone to be Peter's friend. It's not like they had any kind of big plans after they brought him back.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Harry was only revived because they were writing MJ out, and they wanted someone to be Peter's friend. It's not like they had any kind of big plans after they brought him back.
    Yeah Slott is getting worse and will be hilarious when he gets booed by Doctor Who fans

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Yeah Slott is getting worse and will be hilarious when he gets booed by Doctor Who fans
    I have some pre-emptive booing all ready to go.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

BANNED

Some of the more modern Doctor Who fans aren't known for having the best taste, some will welcome him with open arms.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Some of the more modern Doctor Who fans aren't known for having the best taste, some will welcome him with open arms.
    Let's see what the reviews say and fan response and knowing his work it could start out peachy, but then sour oh so fast

Let's see what the reviews say and fan response and knowing his work it could start out peachy, but then sour oh so fast
    What is Slott doing with Doctor Who? I know he's writing an issue of the comic, but that's it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I have to go with Nick Spencer.

I've gone back and re-read more of Spencer's stories by comparison and I liked his take on Peter Parker better.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I'd say Spencer's run was more consistent with a steady decline in quality while Slott's run was a bit more of a rollercoaster in terms of highs and lows. I think Spencer got Peter and MJ's voices better, but at the same time Slott's run did a lot more in terms of concentrating on Peter's personal life and the lives of his supporting cast. To be honest, I don't remember a single thing that actually happened in Peter's life during Spencer's run except for him going back to school in the first arc. So that's a major negative of Spencer's run to me. I also think Slott's run had the higher highs, despite having just as many lows as Spencer's run. Overall I'd probably pick Slott because he actually wrote about Peter Parker and his supporting cast more, while Spencer's run often felt like Spider-Man 24/7, plus looking back on it, I feel like nothing really happened during Spencer's run - which isn't something anyone can say about Slott's run.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I've heard a lot of people who do like Slott are one's who didn't read much of Pre-OMD Spidey or not consistent readers which I guess makes sense
    Let's not stereotype too much, there are older fans who enjoy Slott's run.

Still in issue 2 of Superior Doc Ock s*xually assaults MJ and when he can't seem to get to the next step w/ her goes through Peter's and MJ's private memories which is just...
    It's also weird that Slott and Gage talk about Otto like he respects women after he pulls **** like this.

Maybe they mean an incel's way of respecting women .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Yeah, I love it. It vindicates Spencer after months of everyone finding his Kindred arc very trying, and is also proving Slott's run has aged like milk on reassessment.
    I do wonder how much a "recent run bias" is going with with Spencer, since his run only ended last year.

Not that I'm denying it had good stuff, but there's **** that is liked more just because it's more recent, but then again, it may be disliked more just because it's recent too lol.

I'm still baffled at the number of votes though, didn't think there were so many people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    And I heard the retcon really screwed up Harry and is extremely convoluted.
    So back in Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, around the time Civil War was going on, Mysterio came back from the dead with demonic powers, and he's mentioned to have a boss who's ordering him to do ****, Spencer used that plot point to create Kindred, who is Mysterio's demonic boss, and in ASM#50.LR (Two years after Kindred's debut), it's finally revealed that Kindred is Harry, but the run doesn't clear up if it's the same living Harry or not.

In the last issues, a bit before Sinister War, things get complicated because it turns out Harry was imprisoned, so he couldn't be Kindred, and then Sinister War explains clears up what's going on.

You see, back in Sins Past, it was said that Norman impregnated Gwen with rapid aging twins, but not actually, it turns out that Gabriel and Sarah are just rapidly aging clones created by Harry/AI Harry, and the reason why MJ and Norman, who Harry somehow knew he'd resurrect, both thought that Norman fucked Gwen is because Mysterio did magic therapy™ to hypnotize both of them into thinking Norman fucked Gwen, to make the plan of making Spider-Man sad sound more plausible, and it turns out, Kindred is actually Gabriel and Sarah, Gabriel the one with a brown coat, and Sarah the one with a purple coat, and for arbitrary reasons both Kindreds with their seemingly unlimited powers can't shape shift and needs the Chameleon serum to do so, and they were both being controlled by the AI Harry, who has Harry's memories before he redeemed himself, and that AI Harry is controlled by Mephisto, who made a deal with Norman many years ago, in which Norman sold Harry's soul to save his business, and the living Harry is a randomly made clone, and whoever made the clone isn't said.

So basically, whoever said this is convoluted is a liar, never trust 'em again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

spencer run the art was so inconsistent that it made me mad
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spectacular Member

Yeah, it's incredibly disturbing
    Agreed.

I'm not saying she should have told him then and their, I'm saying she should have told him in the decades of their relationship/marriage, specially once Norman came bak from the dead
    How does that make her a liar? She tells him the truth when it's brought up and admits she kept silent. She was honest. I've outlined reasons she might have for non-disclosure. If I recall correctly, Gwendolyne Stacy swore Mary Jane Watson into secrecy, then Gwen died, Norman died, and everything went to hell. Even in a normal relationship, it's not an easy conversation when she has no proof it happened. When he rises from the dead, he murders her child and then explodes. He returns again after buying the Bugle, and she sees what happens when Peter Parker gets angry: Osborn scores a victory with the public. He wants Spider-man to attack him because he looks more sympathetic to Marvel's gullible citizenry. Later, he wants Spider-man to kill him because he's had enough of living. Put yourself in her shoes and show me an issue where it would help Peter Parker to know this information. The twins don't arrive until after Osborn is incarcerated for the first time in 40 years.

Also it really wasn't at odds w/ editorial, back then we had CCA and the story we got is far more OOC than what we would have gotten
    I refuse to re-read Sins Past to find everything wrong with it had Peter been the father, but from memory:
    Why hide secret babies from Peter? What earlier panel showed someone who could've been a mother carrying twins? Why do we want amazing pre-mature aging Spider sperm in our comics? Why did his ejaculate cause Gwen Stacy's children to prematurely age but not MJ's baby? That problem people have with MJ not notifying anyone? If she knew Gwen had babies and Osborn wasn't involved, she'd look worse for not speaking up.

Also it doesn't have to be illegal to be disturbing, which it def. was.
    True enough, but it doesn't make Osborn worse than he was. It just means Marvel traumatized us with an unflattering rendition of Tommy Lee Jones. The actor should sue.

Not to mention making Gwen far more weak willed and in a retcon decades after her death to service the plot."Attracted to his strength and magnetism"
    Didn't Gwen mention he was sad and broken too? She appreciates a good fixer-upper. Sadly, that house had arsenic in the wallpaper.
    She was interested in Osborn because Norman with dissociative amnesia ain't half bad.
    lol.jpg lol.jpg lol.jpg
    Gwen could want Norman because he's a tall, affluent, well-dressed, muscular, blue-eyed, uniquely coiffed redhead with great pecs and a butt so firm you can bounce a quarter off it, who appears to dye his hair brown and alternates between green, brown, and once, purple eye contacts. That still wouldn't make her weak-willed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    He had friends. Randy Robertson sends his regards. Flash Thompson or Johnny Storm work too. Harry and Liz broke up because MJ was written out, but that's not the reason he returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    He had friends. Randy Robertson sends his regards. Flash Thompson or Johnny Storm work too. Harry and Liz broke up because MJ was written out, but that's not the reason he returned.
    All of them are not as prominent in Peter's social circle as MJ. The only characters that would have come close are Harry or Gwen. And they didn't want to revive Gwen. So they picked Harry. (Also, Johnny forgot Peter was Spider-Man as a result of the mind wipe so he would definitely have been out of place at the time. He didn't regain that knowledge until after Bendis had Peter unmask for the New Avengers, which led to Slott having Peter unmask before the Fantastic Four.)