View Poll Results: Who was a better Spider-Man writer?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Slott

47 45.19%
  • Nick Spencer

57 54.81%
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not the 90s show and definitely not the MTV version.

They fall into the same trap that the later Spider-Man stories and adaptations have: only focusing on important characters.

The MTV show literally only had Harry and MJ. They added Indy as a decoy love interest but Peter’s supporting cast was incredibly sparse.

TAS I felt handled it better but they still used a lot of OCs thst could’ve been filled by established characters.
    Every Spider-Man story has focused only on important characters. This isn't new. Unless your story is vital to the main plot or a major oart of Peter's life in some way, you weren't focused on. Spider-Man isn't Archie.

Felicia Hardy more or less replaced Gwen Stacy’s role, and Lee is just yet another Police insider that Spider-Man works with.

But I admit, I’m getting a bit nitpicky here.
    Lee is the only oc in that show. Felicia is not an oc, regardless of how much she had in common with her comic counterpart. And aside from being blonde and dating Peter, she had nothing in common with Gwen.

Not the 90s show and definitely not the MTV version.

They fall into the same trap that the later Spider-Man stories and adaptations have: only focusing on important characters.

The MTV show literally only had Harry and MJ. They added Indy as a decoy love interest but Peter’s supporting cast was incredibly sparse.

TAS I felt handled it better but they still used a lot of OCs thst could’ve been filled by established characters.
    MJ, Felicia, Aunt May, Anna Watson, JJJ, Robbie, Harry, etc...I mean, I guess they're seen as "important" characters but I wouldn't call it sparse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Lee is the only oc in that show. Felicia is not an oc, regardless of how much she had in common with her comic counterpart. And aside from being blonde and dating Peter, she had nothing in common with Gwen.
    Shallow uptown girl that becomes attracted to Peter because he’s the only guy that doesn’t automatically swoon over her; not to mention she used to hate Spider-Man

I was more thinking about a lot of the reinterpretations of the villains like Electro, Hobgoblin, and Vulture.

Shallow uptown girl that becomes attracted to Peter because he’s the only guy that doesn’t automatically swoon over her; not to mention she used to hate Spider-Man

I was more thinking about a lot of the reinterpretations of the villains like Electro, Hobgoblin, and Vulture.
    She didn't start out hating Spider-Man and that was only for one episode where she thought he kidnapped Morbius. It's also implied she was attracted to Peter much early on.

Vulture and Hobgoblin are reimaginings not ocs. They have their comic counterparts' names and similar histories. Being different from the comics is not the same as being an oc. And even then, they aren't the majority of the characters. Most of the villains were more or less faithful translations from the comics.

Amazing Member

I only read the very end of Slott's run with the Red Goblin arc, so I can't comment who is the better writer. I did enjoy the first 25 issues of Spencer's ASM run. My favorite issues were the character studies of JJJ and the Black Cat. I believe he excelled at characterization, but was weaker when it came to plot driven stories. The Kindred saga would have been better if it ended much earlier. I understand editorial probably didn't let him end it as he may have wanted to, but it was still too drawn out. Saying that Spencer was far better than the dreck we got with Beyond.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I voted for Dan Slott in this poll but have also enjoyed Spencer's run immensely. I'm very easy and feel very lucky as a Spider-Man fan as I think we've had excellent creative teams on Webhead since the early 2000s. From JMS to the Brand New Day teams, then Slott, Spencer and now Wells, not to mention a ridiculous amount of great artists. As a fan since the mid-90s, I don't think we've had a consistently enjoyable streak of Spider-Man stories by multiple creators... probably ever. One of the few highlights of the Quesada and post-Quesada eras.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I voted for Dan Slott in this poll but have also enjoyed Spencer's run immensely. I'm very easy and feel very lucky as a Spider-Man fan as I think we've had excellent creative teams on Webhead since the early 2000s. From JMS to the Brand New Day teams, then Slott, Spencer and now Wells, not to mention a ridiculous amount of great artists. As a fan since the mid-90s, I don't think we've had a consistently enjoyable streak of Spider-Man stories by multiple creators... probably ever. One of the few highlights of the Quesada and post-Quesada eras.
    Besides JMS and Miller, the best Spider-Man material to me from around the period of the 2000s and 2010s were all the AUs we got, and Spectacular on television is worth far more than any of the post-OMD runs, Spencer excluded.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 05-14-2022 at 07:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Besides JMS and Miller, the best Spider-Man material to me from around the period of the 2000s and 2010s were all the AUs we got, and Spectacular on television is worth far more than any of the post-OMD runs, Spencer excluded.
    I liked the stories up until Big Time.

I can see why you like Spencer since all of the AUs are just retreads of things that already happened. Including the TV show adaptations.

It makes me wonder if we shouldn’t just end Spider-Man as a whole.

BANNED

Nick Spencer. The fact that his run was so much shorter and went to crap at the end and he STILL beat Slott in the poll should tell you. Slott was horrible, the absolute worst writer to ever be on Spidey who didn't understand the character at all (but thought he did which made it worse).