Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Web

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I doubt they're even sending any message intentionally, they just want Spidey to be miserable and that's that.
    Whether they intend to or not, that's the message they send. But it's clear they don't put any more thought into it beyond "the drama."

That tells you about how inspired editorial is.
    NWH sent the message that "MJ" is a multiverse constant in Peter's life, and Garfield's Peter learned that two of his variants were in relationships with their world's "MJ." The movie made it pretty clear that he would meet his world's MJ in the future and learn to love again. We just won't see it because that movie is never going to exist. (If we ever see Garfield's Peter again, I fully expect he'll make it clear he's met his world's MJ by that point.)

While I can't say anything about how he passed Spidey, the fact Spidey got some Gwen-related reward makes me wonder if Wells even read the notes lol.

At best, maybe at some point the Celestial was meant to give rewards and ASM got an early version of that (Stuff like that has happened a few times), but somehow I doubt it.
    The tie-in doesn't read like it's even part of the same event. (The event itself is also actually good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    NWH sent the message that "MJ" is a multiverse constant in Peter's life, and Garfield's Peter learned that two of his variants were in relationships with their world's "MJ." The movie made it pretty clear that he would meet his world's MJ in the future and learn to love again. We just won't see it because that movie is never going to exist. (If we ever see Garfield's Peter again, I fully expect he'll make it clear he's met his world's MJ by that point.)
    To be fair, he also talks like Gwen is "his" MJ, so whether or not he'll find another chick is up in the air.

The tie-in doesn't read like it's even part of the same event. (The event itself is also actually good.)
    Eh, wouldn't go that far, it's alright lol.

Most interesting part for me is discussing the Celestial's weird logics (And how dumb it can get at times), the story itself has usual event problems (specific plot points happening in other comics, padding, being rushed despite also having padding, made to be read on trade making individual issues less interesting a lot of the time), though, it tries to write characters well and its conflict isn't too contrived, so by event standards it's a masterpiece lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

To be fair, he also talks like Gwen is "his" MJ, so whether or not he'll find another chick is up in the air.
    Not really. He has no frame of reference for who MJ is, so he just thinks of her as Holland-Peter's girlfriend. When Maguire-Peter references his being with "MJ" later on, the look on Garfield-Peter's face says it all. (Garfield's Peter also claimed he'd never be able to forgive himself for his failure to save Gwen, but it's made clear that happened too after he saves MCU MJ.)

Eh, wouldn't go that far, it's alright lol.

Most interesting part for me is discussing the Celestial's weird logics (And how dumb it can get at times), the story itself has usual event problems (specific plot points happening in other comics, padding, being rushed despite also having padding, made to be read on trade making individual issues less interesting a lot of the time), though, it tries to write characters well and its conflict isn't too contrived, so by event standards it's a masterpiece lol.
    I might be grading it on a curve since it's better than most other comic events, lol.

Spectacular Member

Maybe I'm too asexual to understand the appeal, but that is one of the least romantic takes I have ever read on PeterMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Maybe I'm too asexual to understand the appeal, but that is one of the least romantic takes I have ever read on PeterMJ.
    What take? I'm afraid I don't get what you're trying to say.

Not really. He has no frame of reference for who MJ is, so he just thinks of her as Holland-Peter's girlfriend.
    Considering he calls Gwen "his" MJ though, at least shows that he understands MJ is a big deal to Holland, the same way Gwen was a big deal to Garfield.

When Maguire-Peter references his being with "MJ" later on, the look on Garfield-Peter's face says it all. (Garfield's Peter also claimed he'd never be able to forgive himself for his failure to save Gwen, but it's made clear that happened too after he saves MCU MJ.)
    Huh, I either don't remember or I didn't notice anything like that.

I might be grading it on a curve since it's better than most other comic events, lol.
    That it is but, y'know, low standard lol.

What?

Astonishing Member

You mean Wells take? There's nothing romantic about being a separated couple. Is clearly the intent. There's nothing romantic in a divorce.

Spectacular Member

An individual's romantic life doesn't matter to destiny. God did not ordain their social life. No companion or lover is given to them by fate.

Suggesting that one's love life is predestined is nothing more than a tactic to escape taking ownership of one's life. Individuals are people, not objects of desire bestowed upon the protagonist by the forces of the multiverse.

I hate predestined romance lol.

Considering he calls Gwen "his" MJ though, at least shows that he understands MJ is a big deal to Holland, the same way Gwen was a big deal to Garfield.

Huh, I either don't remember or I didn't notice anything like that.
    He refers to Gwen as "my MJ" because he, at the time, has no frame of reference for who MJ is. That's part of why he's so surprised during the scene in the lab where they are making cures for everyone when Maguire-Peter says he and "MJ" made it work (which is what the ending of Spider-Man 3 implied).

An individual's romantic life doesn't matter to destiny. God did not ordain their social life. No companion or lover is given to them by fate.

Suggesting that one's love life is predestined is nothing more than a tactic to escape taking ownership of one's life. Individuals are people, not objects of desire bestowed upon the protagonist by the forces of the multiverse.

Stories of predestined romance have existed as long as storytelling itself, lol. Whether Peter and MJ should or should not be presented as such can be quite the discussion, but it is how NWH portrayed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    You mean Wells take? There's nothing romantic about being a separated couple. Is clearly the intent. There's nothing romantic in a divorce.
    Tell me you've never seen Kramer vs. Kramer without telling me you've never seen Kramer vs. Kramer.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-11-2022 at 07:07 PM.

You're talking about a setting where most of the Spider-Men are counterparts of the same guy, there is a very strong argument to make that stuff is predestined lol.

Whether it means he'll always end up with some chick who goes by "MJ" is anyone's guess though.

He refers to Gwen as "my MJ" because he, at the time, has no frame of reference for who MJ is.
    He still would have an idea of her importance to say it like that lol.

That's part of why he's so surprised during the scene in the lab where they are making cures for everyone when Maguire-Peter says he and "MJ" made it work (which is what the ending of Spider-Man 3 implied).

I still think that could go either way, but it'd at least make him think lol.

The protagonists in the novels To Kill a Mockingbird, A Song of Ice and Fire, Ender's Game, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, etc. are around those ages.

I'd like to think the idea that Peter is younger than 30+ is disproved if Normie is a preteen.
    Should be but they can always adjust the ages
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

He still would have an idea of her importance to say it like that lol.
    MJ and Ned (and Ned's grandma) are the only people from the MCU that he's actually met by this point, lol.

I still think that could go either way, but it'd at least make him think lol.
    He absolutely went on bing and tried to search for "MJ" when he went back to his universe, lol. (You don't need to say he switched to google in TASM 2. I know that.)

MJ and Ned (and Ned's grandma) are the only people from the MCU that he's actually met by this point, lol.
    Regardless, him saying calling Gwen "his" MJ means he sees Gwen as important to him as Michelle is to Holland.

He absolutely went on bing and tried to search for "MJ" when he went back to his universe, lol.
    He's gonna be disappointed to learn that his predestined romance with Michael Jackson ain't gonna work .

(Don't say he switched to google in TASM 2. I know that.)
    Man I don't keep track of what search engines characters are using lol.

Regardless, him saying calling Gwen "his" MJ means he sees Gwen as important to him as Michelle is to Holland.
    I think the implication is pretty clear that Garfield-Peter is going to finally move on with his life and meet his world's MJ. We should be happy for him, lol.

He's gonna be disappointed to learn that his predestined romance with Michael Jackson ain't gonna work .
    Garfield wanted Michael B. Jordan to play a male MJ in TASM universe, lol. You coulda made that joke.

I think the implication is pretty clear that Garfield-Peter is going to finally move on with his life and meet his world's MJ. We should be happy for him, lol.
    Hey MCU also had the implication that Vulture would do somethin' after the first movie, and we know how that went .

Garfield wanted Michael B. Jordan to play a male MJ in TASM universe, lol. You coulda made that joke.
    For fuck's sake, he even plays Marvel 2 (Though unfortunately he doesn't use Spidey), hindsight is a bitch lol.