Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2014 NFL Season Thread

Well, we're 4 days from kickoff. Final roster cuts after preseason are being made. Seems like a good time to start the latest NFL Season thread.

If anyone's got some bold predictions until Thursday night, now's the time to make 'em.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, we're 4 days from kickoff. Final roster cuts after preseason are being made. Seems like a good time to start the latest NFL Season thread.

If anyone's got some bold predictions until Thursday night, now's the time to make 'em.
    Bold prediction. Both Super Bowl teams lose week one.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Okey dokey! Let me chime in with all my division winners!

NFC
    East: Philadelphia
    North: Green Bay
    South: Carolina
    West: Seattle
    Wild Cards: New Orleans, San Francisco

AFC
    East: New England
    North: Cincinnati
    South: Indianapolis
    West: Denver
    Wild Cards: Baltimore, Kansas City
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

NFC

AFC
    Agree with all of that but Kansas City.

NFC

AFC
    The NFC is going to have the same division winners and wild cards as last year? I don't think that has ever happened in either conference. There are usually two or three new playoff teams in each conference per year.

I also doubt the AFC has the exact same division winners and one of the same wild card slots be the same either.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-31-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Well, another 49ers player will be missing some time, with a suspension at some point this season to come down. By the new domestic violence rules, 6 games is the minimum.

Which is soon to be what is going to be handed down to San Francisco's Ray McDonald.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    The NFC is going to have the same division winners and wild cards as last year? I don't think that has ever happened in either conference. There are usually two or three new playoff teams in each conference per year.

I also doubt the AFC has the exact same division winners and one of the same wild card slots be the same either.
    Well, I looked at it all like this. In the NFC, no one else is going to come out of the East, in the North, a healthy Aaron Rodgers makes all the difference for Green Bay in keeping Chicago at bay, down South, I based my prediction on Atlanta not being ready to return to the playoff stage while out West, I don't see Arizona surpassing either San Fran or Seattle, however, things could change with the Niners and the legals problems their players have been having of late. As for the AFC, I'll admit I did nothing more than go with the usual suspects, the Pats are the best of the bunch in the East, only the Bengals will be competitive in the North, Indy is the class of the South while Denver holds off the Chiefs out West.

Well, another 49ers player will be missing some time, with a suspension at some point this season to come down. By the new domestic violence rules, 6 games is the minimum.

Which is soon to be what is going to be handed down to San Francisco's Ray McDonald.
    Let's see if Roger's recent tough talk about stiffer penalties for domestic abuse bears fruit.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

We don't know the facts yet. And it might not even be this season as this will most likely go through the court process, which could take a while. It might be next season.

McDonald was already released on bail and says "the truth will come out". We'll see if he is guilty of any wrongdoing. This could just be another bogus claim by a woman like with the Kaepernick situation and Marshawn Lynch situation.

Even if McDonald is absent this season, we have two backups in Tank Carridine and Quiton Dial who have looked good thus far in reserve action. Especially Dial. So I'm not that worried.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-31-2014 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Default Seattle Seahawks traded away Percy Harvin?!!

What the H?!? Percy Harvin is the freakin' man! Why they would trade away the most dynamic playmaker on the team (and quite possibly the league) for a mid round and conditional pick is beyond me. I get that Harvin may be "hard to get along with" for whatever reason but who cares?!? What matters at the end of the day is the WIN. It's about as nonsensical as what's going on in San Fran with Coach Harbaugh!... Then again, if my division rival wants to go from NFC title games & superbowl appearances back to their losing ways prior to Harbaugh's arrival, I guess I could live with that :P

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

seaturkey is a-wonderin':

What the H?!? Percy Harvin is the freakin' man! Why they would trade away the most dynamic playmaker on the team (and quite possibly the league) for a mid round and conditional pick is beyond me.
    http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/inj...or/player/9286

He's played in only a little over half the possible games he could have played.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/inj...or/player/9286

He's played in only a little over half the possible games he could have played.
    as opposed to playing in zero games for the seahawks as will happen now? What exactly was youre point, here?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

That he's a potential liability that I'd dump, too. But then, I wouldn't have gone after him in the first place.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Cowboys do suffer a letdown and lose to the Giants today.
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit either, but man I would love for them to steam roll the Giants with the rush. This is the stat line I'd love to see at the end of the game:

DeMarco Murray - 25 Rushes for 225Yds & 2 TD's
    Joseph Randle - Fined almost a whole weeks paycheck and gets an underwear deal out of being arrested. NOT a joke!
    Tony Romo - 13/20 for 200Yds & 1 TD
    Defense - 2 Int, 1 Fumble Recovery and 250 Total Yards Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I grew up watching horror movies like the "Hellraiser" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" series because my father wanted to watch them and didn't care much if it scared us. Luckily it worked, scary movies rarely had an effect on me and I ended up loving them. Pennywise the clown was the one exception. Don't get me wrong, I like Tim Curry but he's a bit hammy and over-the-top most of the time. But something about his Pennywise really got to me as a kid. I went back and watched the TV movie and it really doesn't hold up. It was actually pretty awful, in every scene without Curry. He makes up for it. I still think of him sometimes when I walk over a sewer grate.

The book was much better (as it usually is), but the Pam bonding scene near the end was a WTF moment (he had a few of those in his early books, like having the main character hook up with a stranger in a supermarket while his wife was almost certainly dying in "the Mist", probably my favorite story of King's).
    Great book. Only read it last year. Ya, that last 10% of the book was just WUT!? The movie only works for me when alone. Watched some of it yesterday with my brother and it was only slightly scary. The still image is still CREEPY. The Mist I've only seen as a movie and personally loved. The ending if the same as the book is just depressing as hell...

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Ha ha ha tackling was optional for the bears.
    The patriots showed how awful the bears as they gave up the team's worst 38 points in the first half. But hey I guess the bears don't have to worry about a final month choke job as at their rate they could be eliminated by thanksgiving.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Watching the ESPN 30 for 30 "From Elway to Marino" on Netflix. There are some surprising stuff about that 1983 draft folks.

1.) Elway himself never entertained the idea about not playing for Baltimore. It wasn't til his young agent who was a former hippie asked him what team he would wanna play for ? This guy was just a normal lawyer and had never represented NFL players til Elway came to him. So John basically said he didn't like the head coach of the Colts "Frank Kush". Kush was considered a hard nosed type coach (he once punched a punter in the face in college) and Elway's dad didn't like him. To be fair Kush didn't like Elway and thought he was being a brat for demanding to go somewhere else.

2.) The lead up that spring was Elway was in training camp for the Yankees ....who WANTED ELWAY BADLY. The GM on this said he told George Steinbrenner , "I don't think we can get that Elway kid . He's gonna play pro football George." Steinbrenner held out hope he could get him and showed Elway's agent a board with Elway in right field and Don Mattingly in center . Elway thought Steinbrenner was a good guy but he told him he was thinking about it and he basically was leading all the players in camp before the draft.

3.) Ernie Accorsi was the assistant GM of the team for a few seasons , then suddenly Robert Irsay walked into his office and told him he was the new GM. This was right after the season ended and he was responsible for the draft on short notice. Accorsi was trying to work a deal and wanted 3 , 1st rd picks and 2 2nd rd picks for John Elway. Well as the clock ticked down Irsay got more and more nervous and soon tried to become the GM himself ...and asked Irsay , "How do ya feel about a 1st rd pick and pro bowl guard John Hannah from the Patriots ?" Accorsi by now had gotten pissed at this and told him , "Well when ya announce the trade , have 2 press conferences because the 2nd one is one I resign from."

Kush wanted Hannah but Irsay said it was up to Accorsi and he was like...fuck it. I'm selecting John Elway now and will work a trade later. Someone will give me what i want for the kid.

1983 NFL Draft .

1.) Elway gets picked , which pissed off the family. Kush called and tried smoothing things over but John told him , we told you for months I wouldn't play.

2.) Seahawks and Rams work a trade , swapping places. The Seahawks coveted Elway as well. John detailed how he respected and liked Chuck Knoll. That he was a good guy and his family was from the Pacific Northwest. His wife , is from Tacoma as well. But the Seahawks couldn't give the draft picks needed to get Elway and went with Curt Warner at RB. The Rams felt they needed a RB as well and had their eyes on Eric Dickerson the entire way.

3.) Before the draft Dan Reeves and Frank Kush had a telephone call as friends. Kush asked Reeves who he wanted in the draft. Reeves said he wanted Chris Hinton and Kush was wanting Hinton as well. The Broncos select him and they tell him Elway's agent , were gonna work a deal later. Give us time.

4.) In the most surprising deal to come out was Bill Walsh discussed possibly trading Joe Montana . But as Accorsi said , Walsh admitted he couldn't trade Montana. "He wasn't done winning championships with Joe." - Accorsi.

5.) - San Diego had worked a trade with the 49ers and seemingly acquired 3 1st rd picks in that draft. Everyone was believing the Chargers were ready to do the deal for John Elway with those picks.The reason for this was Gene Klein (the Chargers owner) was in a bitter contract dispute with Fouts. The guy was in his 9th season and at 31 , was a year removed from a great 4,800+ yard season and AFC Championship game.

Elway's agent felt that Klein was using John's name to get Fouts to sign. At the draft the Chargers offered Accorsi the #20th and #22nd picks in 1983. Then a 1st rd pick in 1984. Plus QB Ed Luther. The Chargers wouldn't budge on trading the 5th pick in that draft for Elway.

Accorsi wanted to trade Elway out and possibly get another 1st rd pick that draft early to get Dan Marino. He claimed Accorsi claimed he got along great with Marino. That draft day , the Chargers signed Fouts to a contract and that ended the Elway deal. This pissed off his agent who felt the Chargers jerked Elway around.

6.) Al Davis was friends with Elway's agent and he asked "Can this Elway kid throw deep ?" But the problem was the Raiders had the 26th pick in the draft. The Raiders called the Bears up to get the 6th pick from Bears GM Jim Finks. They were gonna possibly trade Howie Long , Ted Watts and 3-4 more players. The idea was to get to the 6th pick and work a deal with the Colts.

However once Don Weiss from the NFL office called Finks to ask about this trade he backed off. Finks claimed he wanted Long and others but Al Davis wouldn't pull the trigger. Ron Wolf (former Packers GM) worked for the Raiders then and claimed Pete Rozelle killed the trade themselves.

7.) Dan Marino watched as his team mate went to the Bears and then KC was up. Marino had a tryout with the Chiefs head coach and thought he had this. Instead the Chiefs instead selected Todd Blackledge. Many scouts (Mel Kiper) and others felt he had more upside than Marino. Blackledge however joked , he didn't think he was supposed to go that early and prepared himself to fall to New England or Buffalo.

8.) The Eagles selected a bust with Michael Haddix who has the NFL record for fewest yards per carry (3.0).

9.) The Oilers selected Bruce Matthews , Hall of Famer.

10.) The Giants selected Terry Kinard who would play in 1 Pro Bowl and 1 Super Bowl.

11.) The Green Bay Packers selected Tim Lewis who had 16 interceptions in 4 seasons before a career ending neck injury cut short his career.

12.) Buffalo was up next. Norm Pollom was the GM . The Bills had John Elway , Dan Marino and Jim Kelly on his draft board. Jim Kelly's agent asked him since Elway was picking which team he didn't wanna play for , what team did he not wanna go to. Kelly said he didn't wanna play for Green Bay , Minnesota or Buffalo. He joked he was closing his eyes praying they wouldn't pick him and he knocked his mom outta her chair by accident when they didn't at #12.

Tony Hunter had a career ending leg injury after 4 seasons. Kelly was celebrating and his agent looked at him , "Jim you better not relax yet , the Bills have the 14th pick in the draft too."

13.) The Detroit Lions selected James Jones . Who had the honor of being traded once the team selected Barry Sanders a few seasons later.

14.) Jim Kelly then watched as the Bills selected him. He claimed he shook his head , and was like..."Are you kiddin me ?" Kelly tried to be a nice guy and said nice words about Buffalo. Then the USFL stepped in and the GM for the Chicago Blitz told him they would pay him way more. He told Kelly to pick whatever team he wanted to play for. Kelly picked the Houston Gamblers.

15.) Elway's agent claimed that the Patriots wanted to trade for John the moment he came up. Ron Meyer wanted him so bad and Elway's dad seemed to like him. The Colts however wasn't gonna trade him within the division. Accorsi said no way could he possibly play Elway twice a year. Frank Sullivan was the GM and he wanted Kelly after the Elway deal fell apart. He considered Elway a Boston type hero fans would have loved.

Instead the Patriots selected Tony Eason . Meyer wasn't happy and claimed that the Patriots coaching staff wasn't allowed to even have a say in the pick. Eason wasn't a strong kid he felt and he debated if he could handle the punishment of the NFL.

END OF PART 1#
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.