Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Green Lantern Franchise: What Would YOU do?

Since the GLs and John Stewart have just gotten a new status quo in GL #12 and DC is teasing a new Emerald Knights book for John, it got me thinking about what could/should be done with the rest of the franchise.

DISCLAIMER:
    This is a thread for all of us to share our ideas and discuss with each other what we would like to see in the future. This isn't a thread to attack creative teams or particular status.

---------------------------

I'll start.

First, I think of the franchise's biggest problems is that it has many different characters who used to carry their own solos, but that are now somewhat in limbo because the franchise isn't really able to support many books at the moment.
    I'll my ideas here are dependent on the GLs being able to support 2-3 monthly books at a time. Even if that's also not very true at the moment, more than that would be too much fantasy even for this thread's purposes.

With that in mind, here's what I'd do with each main GL:

- John Stewart. To me, he should be the star of the main Green Lantern book. But that's not happening now and I can see that the character can ultimately benefit from a time apart from the Corps with his own cast and mission. So I wouldn't mess too much with Thorne's current plans. Give John an Emerald Knight book and promote the hell out of it.

- Hal Jordan. To me he is at his best in big cosmic scenarios and facing threats he may not be emotionally equipped to, so he'd be the GLC's new ambassador to the other Corps while Salaak became the new representative of the Oans in the United Planets. In this new role he'd be teaming up with Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire and going on cosmic adventures with other members of the Emotional Spectrum. Hal and Carol's stories would be published as Green Lantern: Spectrum, the main feature of a relaunched Green Lantern Corps book.

- Jo Mullein and Kyle Rayner. Sector 2814 still needs lanterns. Who better to become the partner to Earth's newest GL than the one who used to be the Last Lantern? Jo and Kyle return to Sector 2814 as their new protectors. Both of them try to readjust to life on Earth again as they share a flat in NYC. Their adventures would be told in a new book called Green Lanterns: Home Sector. This would be more "classic" GL book, with human supporting casts, recurring villains etc, but with a new spin and a new duo. I'd also explore Jo's African roots to try and steer away from the usual trope of all GLs being from the US.

- Jessica Cruz. I would like to see where the Yellow Lantern thing goes, even if eventually I would love for her to be back as GL and member of the main Justice League team. For now she would appear in GLC, both as part of Hal's supporting cast and also as the lead for occasional Yellow Lantern back-ups.

- Simon Baz. The Oan GL. Ring or no ring, he would be the one still around on Oa, making sure the planet's still functioning, helping other GLs deal with their loses, handling day-to-day duties and, most of all, making sure the Battery never gets destroyed again. He'd appear in GLC.

- Keli. Would be Simon's protege and part of the Oan supporting cast of the GLC book. I don't think she should ever become a regular lantern (we have way too many already), so if she ever returns to Earth, I'd give her back her Gauntlet.

- Guy Gardner. Seemingly retired and living on Earth again, Guy has actually agreed to patrol Earth for the Red Lanterns again, because he fears if another human gets the ring, things will start looking bleak for Earth. He would be part of the Kyle and Jo's supporting cast.

So there you go. Three new GL books and more or less a role for everyone:

Emerald Knight, Green Lantern Corps (Hal + back-ups) and GL: Home Sector.

Home Sector could become a feature of GLC if 3 books ended up being too much. This way the Emerald Knights and the GLC would each get one book.

If it were up to me I’d redefine the forces behind the spectrum, I would like to see the meaning behind the colors reinterpreted along wider concepts in oder to avoid having the different ring bearers be too monotone or one note characters.

RED war, chaos, fury, rage, warrior’s spirit, devilish
    ORANGE ambition, greed, growth, strength, appetite for life, pursuit of the body
    YELLOW power, energy, ability to exercise dominion over others (subjects feel fear), scientific logic (order), dictatorial
    GREEN will, pursuit of fair justice, balance, life, resolve, the good cops
    BLUE hope, faith, goodwill, idealistic, angelic, visionaries
    INDIGO empathy, intellect, knowledge, ability to see trough, understanding, pursuit of the mind
    VIOLET love, magic, passion, mystic, arcane
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I like fan idea threads and green lanterns so why not; for this exercise though I’m keeping Thorne’s entire run in mind. Now I don’t have a title count like factor so I’m just doing ideas here.

1. Super Lanterns (working title): Basically my thought is that while John Stewart is the emerald knight fueled by Godstorm but other lanterns have achieved great power and status over the years. I’m talking Kyle Rayner and Hal Jordan. Kyle has harnessed the power of Ion and all the lantern rings to be the white lantern. Hal has utilized Parallax power, Spectre, various other rings including white lantern, became living willpower, god of light, and connected to the multiverse grail.

Kyle will become the omega lantern, similar to his omega men look because I liked that costume and I think it differentiates him enough to be his own separate lantern. With the new power battery given off random rings why can’t the man who mastered them all get his own individual ring.

Hal Jordan should take a very familiar name...Ion. It’s a bit of a callback to his Parallax days I’ll admit but Hal has done so much and become so powerful that I’m pretty sure the Lantern Corps would agree to name him after their entity.

The idea is that fans of characters should get the idea that their characters are specially or at the very least their own individual.

2. Individual lanterns- those who haven’t gone god crazy power yet go here. They are unique but not John, Hal, and Kyle level.

Guy Gardner- Back in business as he is, but really surprised when he becomes dual lantern of green and red. He’s done it before so he just runs with it.

Jo Muellin- Pretty much how we left her, she’s a green lantern. Probably wants earth/vacation time after holding all of OA together.

Jessica Cruz- I’m thinking that she returns to the green lantern corps to be with her friends, but has secretly kept the yellow lantern ring, just in case. It picked her and it hasn’t gone away, she just doesn’t want to dual wield.

Simon Baz- Learning to use whatever his new role is amongst the corps.

Keli- Now this one I had to think a lot about and it got me to the perfect solution....Alan Scott. She was never a lantern but had an all powerful gauntlet. What does a teenager who may or may not have powers do without her power gauntlet? Reach out to the green lantern who was never a corpsmen and has a history of helping young heroes on the JSA.

3. Corps organization- Now that it’s made up of various different lanterns and the guardians are gone, I’m assuming the Corps would take a diplomatic vote for multiple representatives who will work alongside the United Planets to maintain order in the universe. I guess as the ring division of the UP.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-23-2022 at 07:05 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Justice League - John Stewart - Green Lantern - cartoon reason

JLI - Guy Gardner - Red Lantern - 80s reason with a twist

Titans - Kyle Rayner - White Lantern - 2000s reason with a twist

Teen Titans - Teen Lantern - it's just in the name

Green Lantern - Hal Jordan - duh

Green Lantern Corps - Everyone else - bi monthly with rotating cast

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    If it were up to me I’d redefine the forces behind the spectrum, I would like to see the meaning behind the colors reinterpreted along wider concepts in oder to avoid having the different ring bearers be too monotone or one note characters.

RED war, chaos, fury, rage, warrior’s spirit, devilish
    ORANGE ambition, greed, growth, strength, appetite for life, pursuit of the body
    YELLOW power, energy, ability to exercise dominion over others (subjects feel fear), scientific logic (order), dictatorial
    GREEN will, pursuit of fair justice, balance, life, resolve, the good cops
    BLUE hope, faith, goodwill, idealistic, angelic, visionaries
    INDIGO empathy, intellect, knowledge, ability to see trough, understanding, pursuit of the mind
    VIOLET love, magic, passion, mystic, arcane
    This. I very much like this.

Hal and Kyle back on earth and rebuilding their lives.
    Hal in Coast City and Kyle in New York.
    The next time they head out to space should be treated as a huge deal.

John as the JLA’s GL.

The rest of the GLs (Guy, Jessica, Jo, Simon, Keli) as a space based team.

DC can easily support three books between that many characters.

A lot of people have speculated on the idea that Green Lantern could be successfully transformed into a franchise with several titles but I have my doubts.

1. They all essentially have the same power and uniform which is not terribly exciting for the uninitiated, or outside reader, in comparison to other super hero teams

2. They are basically space cops and therefore a symbol of authority, which is less appealing than misfits and alternative outsiders like say the X-Men

I personally think the GL franchise is fu#$)ed and won't return to former glory because there are too many GL's with their own little fanbases who all want their favourite on the title, and....
    DC seems hellbent on replacing the one Green Lantern who can sell a large volume of comics, and keeping him off the Justice League (A discussion to be saved for another time)

But if I had a magic wand to create three titles here is what I would do...(assuming we are starting from scratch)

1. Green Lantern title (Staring Hal Jordan) situated on earth, and putting him permanently on the Justice League
    (The JLA is often the gateway for new readers to find the individual titles of the heroes they like on the team, so........... whoever headlines GL should be on the JLA.

2. John Stewart Mosaic title: A space sector title whereby John Stewart deals with international diplomacy. The writer could choose other GL characters as support (Guy, Kyle, Jessica) ect.

3. Green Lantern Corps (Led by John Stewart) featuring Guy, Kyle, and Jessica, Kiliwog ect.

Finally, I'd kill off the Green Lantern's that have the weakest fanbases, because there are just too many GL's.

Really wish that Jessica Cruz's solo series would get a revival; am really missing it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    A lot of people have speculated on the idea that Green Lantern could be successfully transformed into a franchise with several titles but I have my doubts.
    1. Green Lantern title (Staring Hal Jordan) situated on earth, and putting him permanently on the Justice League
    (The JLA is often the gateway for new readers to find the individual titles of the heroes they like on the team, so........... whoever headlines GL should be on the JLA.

2. John Stewart Mosaic title: A space sector title whereby John Stewart deals with international diplomacy. The writer could choose other GL characters as support (Guy, Kyle, Jessica) ect.

3. Green Lantern Corps (Led by John Stewart) featuring Guy, Kyle, and Jessica, Kiliwog ect.

Finally, I'd kill off the Green Lantern's that have the weakest fanbases, because there are just too many GL's.
    Remove GLC and put in Guy Gardner and you have the 90s era before Hal went nuts.

It was editorial not fans who screwed it up.

Because all those books actually sold and you still had a GL Quarterly book. So you had 4 GL books at one time. In fact the first 3 arcs of that GL run spotlighted a different lantern.

The key issue in Green Lantern has been editorial.

A simpler solution would be

A main GL book with restrictions. Four issue arcs with a lead lantern. So that would be 3. Or 2 issue arcs. You get 6.

A GLC book with the group (and can exclude whoever had the 4 issue arc in the main book).

A GLC Quarterly with say 100 pages for $10 (if that is the going rate for that type of book). 5 stand alone stories. Open to whoever. 4 issues.

The goal eventually everyone including some aliens like Arista get a solo story.

Other option- a few OGNs. Which would probably help Teen Lantern, Jessica, Simon, Jo, John and Kyle more than Hal.

At least you could get more Lantern stories out there with a different lead than just one.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Remove GLC and put in Guy Gardner and you have the 90s era before Hal went nuts.

It was editorial not fans who screwed it up.

Because all those books actually sold and you still had a GL Quarterly book. So you had 4 GL books at one time. In fact the first 3 arcs of that GL run spotlighted a different lantern.

The key issue in Green Lantern has been editorial.

A simpler solution would be

A main GL book with restrictions. Four issue arcs with a lead lantern. So that would be 3. Or 2 issue arcs. You get 6.

A GLC book with the group (and can exclude whoever had the 4 issue arc in the main book).

A GLC Quarterly with say 100 pages for $10 (if that is the going rate for that type of book). 5 stand alone stories. Open to whoever. 4 issues.

The goal eventually everyone including some aliens like Arista get a solo story.

Other option- a few OGNs. Which would probably help Teen Lantern, Jessica, Simon, Jo, John and Kyle more than Hal.

At least you could get more Lantern stories out there with a different lead than just one.
    I don't really know what your arguing? I was giving my opinion on what I would like to do if I had the power, not what should be done.

Though I do like my ideas better, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Since the GLs and John Stewart have just gotten a new status quo in GL #12 and DC is teasing a new Emerald Knights book for John, it got me thinking about what could/should be done with the rest of the franchise.

DISCLAIMER:
    This is a thread for all of us to share our ideas and discuss with each other what we would like to see in the future. This isn't a thread to attack creative teams or particular status.

---------------------------

I'll start.

First, I think of the franchise's biggest problems is that it has many different characters who used to carry their own solos, but that are now somewhat in limbo because the franchise isn't really able to support many books at the moment.
    I'll my ideas here are dependent on the GLs being able to support 2-3 monthly books at a time. Even if that's also not very true at the moment, more than that would be too much fantasy even for this thread's purposes.

With that in mind, here's what I'd do with each main GL:

- John Stewart. To me, he should be the star of the main Green Lantern book. But that's not happening now and I can see that the character can ultimately benefit from a time apart from the Corps with his own cast and mission. So I wouldn't mess too much with Thorne's current plans. Give John an Emerald Knight book and promote the hell out of it.

- Hal Jordan. To me he is at his best in big cosmic scenarios and facing threats he may not be emotionally equipped to, so he'd be the GLC's new ambassador to the other Corps while Salaak became the new representative of the Oans in the United Planets. In this new role he'd be teaming up with Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire and going on cosmic adventures with other members of the Emotional Spectrum. Hal and Carol's stories would be published as Green Lantern: Spectrum, the main feature of a relaunched Green Lantern Corps book.

- Jo Mullein and Kyle Rayner. Sector 2814 still needs lanterns. Who better to become the partner to Earth's newest GL than the one who used to be the Last Lantern? Jo and Kyle return to Sector 2814 as their new protectors. Both of them try to readjust to life on Earth again as they share a flat in NYC. Their adventures would be told in a new book called Green Lanterns: Home Sector. This would be more "classic" GL book, with human supporting casts, recurring villains etc, but with a new spin and a new duo. I'd also explore Jo's African roots to try and steer away from the usual trope of all GLs being from the US.

- Jessica Cruz. I would like to see where the Yellow Lantern thing goes, even if eventually I would love for her to be back as GL and member of the main Justice League team. For now she would appear in GLC, both as part of Hal's supporting cast and also as the lead for occasional Yellow Lantern back-ups.

- Simon Baz. The Oan GL. Ring or no ring, he would be the one still around on Oa, making sure the planet's still functioning, helping other GLs deal with their loses, handling day-to-day duties and, most of all, making sure the Battery never gets destroyed again. He'd appear in GLC.

- Keli. Would be Simon's protege and part of the Oan supporting cast of the GLC book. I don't think she should ever become a regular lantern (we have way too many already), so if she ever returns to Earth, I'd give her back her Gauntlet.

- Guy Gardner. Seemingly retired and living on Earth again, Guy has actually agreed to patrol Earth for the Red Lanterns again, because he fears if another human gets the ring, things will start looking bleak for Earth. He would be part of the Kyle and Jo's supporting cast.

So there you go. Three new GL books and more or less a role for everyone:

Emerald Knight, Green Lantern Corps (Hal + back-ups) and GL: Home Sector.

Home Sector could become a feature of GLC if 3 books ended up being too much. This way the Emerald Knights and the GLC would each get one book.
    Hera's hem! That is a lot of characters!!!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd have Guy Gardner as head of the Honour Lanterns.
    Not bound to any sector, trouble shooting across the universe. I'd also like to see him involved in the GL Black Ops division.
    Hal Jordan is for lack of a better term, major general of the GLC.
    Kyle Rayner on Oa as the lead trainer of new GL's alongside Kilowog and Honour Lantern.
    John Stewart GL of sector 2814 and the Justice League's GL member

I never really took a shine to either Jessica OR Simon.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

First and foremost:

NO NEW HUMAN GREEN LANTERNS.

OR

NO NEW HUMAN CHARACTERS FOR ANY OF OTHER LANTERN CORPS

-A maximum of 5 GL's can be active at any given time. When not active they're all hanging out at Guy Gardner's bar. Non active members are there too, just hanging out or on stand by.

- 1 GL in deep space with plots that have little/nothing to do with earth.

-1 GL on earth handling earthly stuff.

-2 GL's on two separate teams. Preferably one in space and one on earth.

-The 5th GL would be a plus one to one of the above mentioned GL's.

Keep it rotating. Maybe next time Kyle is in deep space, John is on earth while Hal and Jo are on a team while Simon is back up.

I like what DC did by having John as the star of the Green Lantern then spinning him off to his own ongoing. Do more of that. What wasn't cool is bringing him back to the JL only to 'kill him off' in a gimmick event.

Much like the Flash, I wouldn't mind a 'GREEN LANTERN: FAMILY' book just to accommodate everybody. If they don't have a solo title or are a part of a team why not have a title where they default back to?

So basically:

Green Lantern: Set in deep space, lots of aliens and politics. Far, far removed from any earthly conflict. Since Kyle has been away from the title for a while, let him take the reins for again.

Green Lantern Family: Main setting is the Guy's bar. Focuses on GL's who are currently not a part of the main GL title or on a team. Any character could show up. Make Alan Scott, Guy Gardner, Hal Jordan, Tai Pham and Teen Lantern the main cast of this book. If Hal is in the main tile, substitute with someone like Kyle or Simon Baz. Loads of guest stars from the DCU. Set it in Coast City.

Give the book a little Ben 10 Omniverse vibe. Make it a webtoon if you have to.

Green Lantern: Earth: Set it on earth. I would actually like to see an alien GL patrol earth for a change while the human one is in space. Either Kilowog or Toma Re would be good. Bring back some of the classic earth based GL villains like Hector Hammond, Goldface and Evil Star.

This could work as a web toon as well.

John Stewart & Emerald Knights: Just let Geoffry Thorne do his thing writing the title.

Justice League of America: Let Jo Mullein serve as the GL of the team. She's been in Far Sector, the main GL title, so maybe now it's time to transition into the JL title and interact with other heroes.

REBELS/Omega Men:
    This is a dream title for me. Vril Dox, Starfire, Adam Strange and Captain Comet on one team. Now add a GL and we're golden. Use this title to explore the Vega System.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Trim the fat and cull the herd. There are way too many Earth origin GLs. There are way to many spectrum lanterns in the galaxy. All the power in the universe and the GLs are still some of the biggest chumps in the galaxy.

Pick a handful of Lanterns from each corp and let them be the face of their respective color. I'd retire other lanterns who aren't active and haven't been active in the comics for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post

2. They are basically space cops and therefore a symbol of authority, which is less appealing than misfits and alternative outsiders like say the X-Men
    I strongly disagree. The unexplored concepts of space dc is so vast, it's crazy. If the best thing writers can think of is just human crimes but with aliens, that's on them.

Also, I really don't want to see Jessica permanently reduced to a support character. Having these "family" books rarely allow for the support characters to get any real growth or arcs or anything (an exception being tynion's detective comics). Even though Hal is my second fav, I don't want him performing crazier and crazier feats that diminish all the other lanterns either. Yes, he's the most powerful but c'mon don't go overboard with it.

I have a whole library of ideas for the franchise but I don't feel it's healthy to write it all out and fantasise. That's why I've resisted replying to this forum. But rest assured, I would Johnathan Hickman this ****.
    Last edited by Thephantasm; 04-24-2022 at 07:11 AM.