Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    That's likely controversial, but I think they should go in the near future (after Dark Crisis) go back to have the same Character lead the main GL Book as well as being the resident Lantern of the JL, and stick with that at least the next decade.

I think having one clear main character for the franchise is likely healthier over all, and more likely to bring the franchise back on track. Constantly switching the lead character every 2 years or so is imo not a recipe for success.
    If that's the requirement, then I'd choose Hal, since most of the time they're using the founding JL member

Unless they're using the cartoon JL lineup, then I'd chose John. So it depends on what the JL would be

If they're changing the roster of JL every run, then I'm changing the GL too, but if the lineup is neither the founder nor the cartoon, then it's a tossup. It can be anyone.

No, wait, I'll use Kyle in a JL team with Wally, and I'm keeping Guy in JLI

So those are the ones I want to keep consistent, the rest depends.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

When it comes to the JL, I think there we have also seen that line ups that are pretty close to the classic version tend to sell best.

Fantastic Member

Make greater use of DC existing space stuff, add to it, explore Qward more, it's a whole other universe of possibilities that's been there for GL since almost day one that has been criminally underused. I honestly don't tend to think about things in terms of how I would divide up books and the like. I also don't clime to know what has or will sell the best. Like obviously the Geoff Johns era was the franchise at its strongest, but people throw out a lot of facts to prove how good or bad things are now, and I'm not one to try and wade through all that.

BANNED

I'd start with Hal Jordan going insane and killing...

Just kidding.

I feel the GL mythos was at its strongest in the last twenty years when it focused on character. Hal was brought back and redeemed (as much as anyone could be given Emerald Twilight) and was given depth he really didn't have even before his fall. Meanwhile, the other Earth GLs were also developed along with non-human GLs and other Corps in the spectrum.

Robert Venditti's GL Corps Rebirth run was consistently enjoyable. Action, adventure, solid characterization and heart. He somehow gave adequate focus to the Earth GLs and added to the mythos.

I don't want to see DC make the mistake when it took the "either/or" approach back in the 90s. The central concept of intergalactic cops wielding rings to protect and serve is perfect. Just give us solid writing, art that takes advantage of the premise, and consistency.

I know that's not the exciting answer that DC is probably looking for but it is the one that I think is best for the franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    A lot of people have speculated on the idea that Green Lantern could be successfully transformed into a franchise with several titles but I have my doubts.

1. They all essentially have the same power and uniform which is not terribly exciting for the uninitiated, or outside reader, in comparison to other super hero teams

2. They are basically space cops and therefore a symbol of authority, which is less appealing than misfits and alternative outsiders like say the X-Men

I personally think the GL franchise is fu#$)ed and won't return to former glory because there are too many GL's with their own little fanbases who all want their favourite on the title, and....
    DC seems hellbent on replacing the one Green Lantern who can sell a large volume of comics, and keeping him off the Justice League (A discussion to be saved for another time)

But if I had a magic wand to create three titles here is what I would do...(assuming we are starting from scratch)

1. Green Lantern title (Staring Hal Jordan) situated on earth, and putting him permanently on the Justice League
    (The JLA is often the gateway for new readers to find the individual titles of the heroes they like on the team, so........... whoever headlines GL should be on the JLA.

2. John Stewart Mosaic title: A space sector title whereby John Stewart deals with international diplomacy. The writer could choose other GL characters as support (Guy, Kyle, Jessica) ect.

3. Green Lantern Corps (Led by John Stewart) featuring Guy, Kyle, and Jessica, Kiliwog ect.

Finally, I'd kill off the Green Lantern's that have the weakest fanbases, because there are just too many GL's.
    I like your ideas with one exception. While I have no connection to Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, and the rest that have followed in the last few years, I don't think they should be killed off. Move them to different Corps. and allow them some page time.

The idea of yours I like the most is Hal as THE GL of Sector 2814 and the JLA. All of the original Big 7 are back and it's long past time to put them all together as the JLA again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    I like your ideas with one exception. While I have no connection to Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, and the rest that have followed in the last few years, I don't think they should be killed off. Move them to different Corps. and allow them some page time.

The idea of yours I like the most is Hal as THE GL of Sector 2814 and the JLA. All of the original Big 7 are back and it's long past time to put them all together as the JLA again.
    Thank you I appreciate the feedback. It just makes sense sales wise that the GL in the main title should be the GL in the JLA.

I would never advocate killing off Jessica Cruz, her fanbase is too strong, and if you take Green Lanterns into account, she can move volume sales wise for a decent period of time.

For a female character that popular, you might want to consider changing her powers and moving her out of GL and into something like the Outsiders & Birds of Prey. I think she would have a better shot developing over the next 15 years if she becomes an original character instead of being a legacy hero in the shadow of other GL's. I'm sure some fans would disagree, as there is always the risk of falling into obscurity.

Extraordinary Member

I would never advocate killing off Jessica Cruz, her fanbase is too strong, and if you take Green Lanterns into account, she can move volume sales wise for a decent period of time.
    Btw. that is also a decision that kind of baffles me. With Jessica they had their "diverse female Green Lantern", who was actually popular with the readers and that they started to push in outside media (she was iirc the central character Justice League vs. the Fatal Five).

But than DC suddenly just creates Jojo Mullins and sidelines Jessica. Why?

I mean wouldn't it have made far more sense to make Jessica the GL for 5G/Future State/Dark Crisis?

Btw. that is also a decision that kind of baffles me. With Jessica they had their "diverse female Green Lantern", who was actually popular with the readers and that they started to push in outside media (she was iirc the central character Justice League vs. the Fatal Five).

I mean wouldn't it have made far more sense to make Jessica the GL for 5G/Future State/Dark Crisis?

I don't know, maybe because Jessica, John and Kyle aren't diverse enough???

With Jojo Mullins you get three in one (Racially diverse, women, & Lgbtq)

All you need now is to make Jojo mentally challenged and put her in a rocket powered wheelchair.... and were off to the races!

For a female character that popular, you might want to consider changing her powers and moving her out of GL and into something like the Outsiders & Birds of Prey. I think she would have a better shot developing over the next 15 years if she becomes an original character instead of being a legacy hero in the shadow of other GL's. I'm sure some fans would disagree, as there is always the risk of falling into obscurity.
    That goes against the essence of her character

When it comes to the JL, I think there we have also seen that line ups that are pretty close to the classic version tend to sell best.
    While this is mostly true, the particular GL on the team doesn’t really seem to have such an impact on sales.
    Morrison went back to the Big 7 concept and used Kyle to great success. Jessica was in Johns’ run for a big portion of it. And so on.
    Hal, John, Kyle, Guy, Jessica and even Simon were all part of pretty good selling JL runs.

This shows that the JL usually needs A Green Lantern, but it can basically be any of them.

AFAIK Jo Mullein was created for a very particular standalone mini because they got a big name novelist to do a DC comic.
    Reading Far Sector, I don’t think it was necessarily the plan all along to make Jo part of the regular DCU.
    But then 5G was being planned and they probably thought Jessica wasn’t fresh enough to be the “new” Green Lantern. I don’t know.
    I’m not against Jo or her creation. I just dislike how she is yet another American GL.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Question, what is the highest selling GL run besides Geoff John's?

No idea, but my wild guess would be Broome's and Englehart's runs.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Question, what is the highest selling GL run besides Geoff John's?
    It would have to be Ron Marz's run with Kyle Rayner. Starting in 1994 with Green Lantern vol 3 #48 (where Hal goes mad with grief and begins his journey to become Parallax) and ending in 2004 with with Green Lantern vol 3 #181. Kyle Rayner having seen it all and done it all as the only GL for 10 years.

Marz's run on Green Lantern: vol 3 #48-107, 109-114, 117-125, and 176-181.

During this 10 year period of Kyle as the main GL; John, like Guy was hockey pucked around. John becoming a Darkstar and Guy becoming a Warrior. John got a GL ring in GL vol 3 #156 in 2003. Mainly to capitalize on John's recent exposure on the JL cartoon series that started in 2001.

After Marz's run ends, it's straight into Rebirth with Geoff Johns for his 9 year run.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 04-28-2022 at 06:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    AFAIK Jo Mullein was created for a very particular standalone mini because they got a big name novelist to do a DC comic.
    Reading Far Sector, I don’t think it was necessarily the plan all along to make Jo part of the regular DCU.
    But then 5G was being planned and they probably thought Jessica wasn’t fresh enough to be the “new” Green Lantern. I don’t know.
    I’m not against Jo or her creation. I just dislike how she is yet another American GL.
    I haven't really read anything with her, so I don't really have anything against her.

But I think by bringing her into the main continuity and making her the GL in 5G/Future State/Dark Crisis they are kind of under cutting the success they had with Jessica.