Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If there were a new "Super Buddies" book, who would you want in the line-up?

If DC were going to do another book based on the Keith Giffen-era Justice League, what characters would you want in the book?

I'd say Booster, Beetle (Ted Kord), Fire, Ice, Guy Garner, Captain Atom and Power Girl would be "must haves" and I'd toy with maybe putting Red Tornado on in place of Martian Manhunter.

What would be your line up?

TIA.
    Last edited by edpower; 04-24-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

^^^Great line-up! My only additions would be Mary Marvel & Etrigan (for any magical/supernatural shenanigans):

In addition to Guy, Beetle, Booster, Captain Atom, Fire and Ice, I would throw in my faves: Zatanna, Donna Troy, Wally West and Starfire.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Hawkman, Donna Troy, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter

I'd definitely go with the major players from the Giffen run who haven't had a major role to play in any subsequent League line-ups, so:

Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Captain Atom
    Power Girl
    Guy Gardner
    Metamorpho

And then I'd bring in one character whose brief tenure with the League was highly flawed and would give the team a toe in the mystical world:

Blue Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'd definitely go with the major players from the Giffen run who haven't had a major role to play in any subsequent League line-ups, so:

Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Captain Atom
    Power Girl
    Guy Gardner
    Metamorpho

And then I'd bring in one character whose brief tenure with the League was highly flawed and would give the team a toe in the mystical world:

Blue Devil
    Oh! Blue Devil! Good one!
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Astonishing Member

No membership cap? Let's see . . .

Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Guy Gardner
    Mister Miracle
    Power Girl
    Dr. Light

At least, to start with. The JLI roster was often a bit fluid. I tried my best to add more women and PoC to the cast because, well, it's not the '80s anymore. Finding ones who fit was a bit tough, though.

I didn't include any of the typical leaders like J'onn or Captain Atom, because I thought it might be interesting to take Beetle who was always played as comic relief/an overgrown teenage boy (ironic considering the new Blue Beetle IS a teenage boy) and push him into the leadership role. For supporting cast, their government liaison would be Agent Lucas "Snapper" Carr, aka "The Kid Who Betrayed the Justice League" trying his best to live down that reputation and make his chicken-s#!t life and career into chicken salad.

Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Guy Gardner
    Martian Manhunter
    and to mix it up:
    Firestorm (I don't really care which iteration)
    Crush
    Live Wire

Captain Atom
    Atom
    Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Black Lightning
    Guy Gardner
    Vibe

Vixen
    Fire
    Ice
    Dr Light
    Gypsy

Basically the League members that get ignored most of the time!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Captain Atom
    Atom
    Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Black Lightning
    Guy Gardner
    Vibe

Vixen
    Fire
    Ice
    Dr Light
    Gypsy

Basically the League members that get ignored most of the time!
    Vibe would be a good choice! I don't think anyone's done anything with Cisco in a while. I nearly included Vixen on my lineup, but thought the size of the group was getting a bit unwieldy.

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    If DC were going to do another book based on the Keith Giffen-era Justice League, what characters would you want in the book?

I'd say Booster, Beetle (Ted Kord), Fire, Ice, Guy Garner, Captain Atom and Power Girl would be "must haves" and I'd toy with maybe putting Red Tornado on in place of Martian Manhunter.

What would be your line up?

TIA.
    Booster, Beetle (Ted Kord), Fire, Ice, Guy Garner, Captain Atom is such a great start for a JL team.
    I would replace captain atom with Bloodwynd and add Maxima and one or two newer characters...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Astonishing Member

Booster Gold
    Blue Beetle( Ted)
    Green Lantern( John Stewart)
    Killer Frost
    Zantanna
    Ms. Martian
    Plastic Man
    General Glory
    Green Arrow
    Wildcat
    Black Canary
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 04-25-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Captain Atom (leader)
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Guy Gardner (as whoever he is, at the time. GL, Red Lantern, Vuldarian, whatever...)
    Mr. Miracle (usually overlooked, but I've always loved his straight-man chemestry with Ted and Booster)
    Big Barda (extra muscle for the team, plus, one heck of a boss-woman. Cap would have his hands full.)
    Dr. Light (one of my biggest frustrations of the JLI era was the short tenure of Kimyo. She fit SO well, especially her bitchy self).

Most of the other JLI'ers that I love, IMHO, really fit better with other teams (Rex with the Outsiders, Wally with the Titans or the League, Kara with the JSA, etc..), so, I'll leave it at that.
    That's a powerful team, with a lot of great characters.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Captain Atom (leader)
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Ice
    Guy Gardner (as whoever he is, at the time. GL, Red Lantern, Vuldarian, whatever...)
    Mr. Miracle (usually overlooked, but I've always loved his straight-man chemestry with Ted and Booster)
    Big Barda (extra muscle for the team, plus, one heck of a boss-woman. Cap would have his hands full.)
    Dr. Light (one of my biggest frustrations of the JLI era was the short tenure of Kimyo. She fit SO well, especially her bitchy self).

Most of the other JLI'ers that I love, IMHO, really fit better with other teams (Rex with the Outsiders, Wally with the Titans or the League, Kara with the JSA, etc..), so, I'll leave it at that.
    That's a powerful team, with a lot of great characters.

Peace
    Mr. Miracle also kind of added to the whole "superheroes as regular people" vibe of the book as he was the suburban married guy. They even tried to have a cookout at his house that one time, until the Joker showed up in a tank. Plus, his friend/assistant Oberon ended up becoming a major member of the support staff.

Sideways and whoever else. Honestly it doesn't matter, as long as Sideways is in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.