Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Been reading a few interviews with the Screenwriters, Markus and McFeely. They had Hawkeye in a draft or two, but realized that Black Widow did essentially the same thing and could not make it work where both characters were included.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Look Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the movie suffers at all for lack of Hawkeye, it just would've been cool to at least get a line about him.

I'm on the side that thinks just because it's a shared universe doesn't mean everyone has to be referenced or appear in every film. If someone is its a cool bonus. Why do some people expect this of the films but not of the comics? I don't question why every other Marvel character in existence isn't in every comic Marvel publishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I'm on the side that thinks just because it's a shared universe doesn't mean everyone has to be referenced or appear in every film. If someone is its a cool bonus. Why do some people expect this of the films but not of the comics? I don't question why every other Marvel character in existence isn't in every comic Marvel publishes.
    Because all of SHIELD went to $#!+ and they didn't know who they could trust, and they were going up against a whole lot of dudes. Given the information available it would make sense for them to at least look for their former teammate, especially Natasha.

Now I'm not saying they have to always show up in every film, but this one certainly made sense for it it happen. At least a throwawar line from Natasha that she couldn't get in touch with Clint.

Again I want to reirerate that it's the tiniest most miniscule of thing, and it doesn't detract from the movie at all. Just thought they could've added that one line to at least give Clint a nod.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Because all of SHIELD went to $#!+ and they didn't know who they could trust, and they were going up against a whole lot of dudes. Given the information available it would make sense for them to at least look for their former teammate, especially Natasha.

Now I'm not saying they have to always show up in every film, but this one certainly made sense for it it happen. At least a throwawar line from Natasha that she couldn't get in touch with Clint.

Again I want to reirerate that it's the tiniest most miniscule of thing, and it doesn't detract from the movie at all. Just thought they could've added that one line to at least give Clint a nod.
    As someone already said, there wasn't enough time to make a Clint reference worth it. It adds about zero value for anyone who's not a Hawkeye fan.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Look Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the movie suffers at all for lack of Hawkeye, it just would've been cool to at least get a line about him.
    I'm reading as much as I can about the film (particularly screenplay/fx stuff) so I posted that info so you'd know why.

I completely understand your p.o.v.: As a fan you wanted a little nod (I'd like my favorite character to have more than 20-25 minutes between the two movies he's been in thus far too.)

Renner is probably too expensive to do a guest shot on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. unless Joss films a little something while they're shooting AoU, which could be a distinct possibility.

Regarding Clint, my imagination says he's already in Europe and Fury contacted him at the end of Cap 2.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I question why some big shot characters aren't in some stories. If it's someone who should clearly be able to help, or someone's friend, it'd make sense for them to be there.
    I surrender to the Contest

It actually made sense for him not to appear in the film. Fury made it clear that Steve shouldn't trust anyone. The only reason Widow was with Steve was because she got herself involved.

Clint definitely should have been mentioned at some point though. Either a throwaway line or a image of him being somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    I question why some big shot characters aren't in some stories. If it's someone who should clearly be able to help, or someone's friend, it'd make sense for them to be there.
    Don't get me wrong, I do see where you're coming from. My personal view of the comics is that what happens on the page is a very condensed piece of time compared to how long it takes for us to get each part of the story, unless otherwise stated on the page, so it is safe to assume these people are very busy. From the perspective of these things being written it's the writers discretion about who they use and they have their own agenda while having to make the main character the hero of the book. I'm personally glad they aren't always intertwining, if I want to read about guys together I read the Avengers.

I've thought before about how many other fictional universes have as many characters occupying the same space as Marvel and DC, it can't be many.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

I recall the writers saying that there was alot going on to begin with and that they didn't want to force Hawkeye in just to say he's in the movie.