Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cap 2 Hawkeye Missed Opportunity

The only small tiny miniscule thing I can thing to complain about this movie is that Hawkeye didn't even get a mention in what was essentially a SHIELD movie. And while I'm glad we got Falcon, I can't help but think how nicely a Hawkeye appearance would've dovetailed with the comics background. At the end disheartened at what transpired with SHIELD he could become a free agent....a Ronin....of sorts lol and Cap 3 could allude to a future team with Bucky Cap and Hawkeye/Ronin. And again while they don't have to, and perhaps shouldn't go this route ,I do feel like we could've got a least of mention of Clint in such a heavy SHIELD heavy movie. Maybe even do a Marvel one shot where he's off dealing with his trainer or Superior Offer who could've been enemy undercover agent Jacques Duquesne who happens to have a thing for swords. And then maybe it's revealed he's really a double agent who's only acting like he's part of the bad guys.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

It was pretty weird that Clint didn't appear but I feel it didn't hurt the movie. He'll appear in Avengers 2, he doesn't need to feature in every film. I do find it weird that he didn't appear when Shield was basically destroyed
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I thought most fans hated Hawkeye/Ronin in the comics

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well, if you go by Black Widow's diamond "arrow" necklace she wore, he was referenced to a few times. Plus, how long did Clint and Natasha know each other prior to the Avengers? Was it before her mission with the Iranian engineer was axed by the Winter Soldier?

I think Hawkeye will be referenced plenty in the Avengers Age of Ultron. It seems like he and Black Widow will have large parts to play in that.

In real world terms, perhaps they did not put Hawkeye due to contractal appearances and/or fees.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I understand the complaint - after all, if the MCU is a shared universe, neglecting to mention what's happening with a rather important character with significant ties to SHIELD is a bit glaring - but the movie was jampacked as it is with the characters they chose to focus on. I'm more than happy with the final product considering the main characters they chose to introduce/develop, and if adding Hawkeye could potentially had undermined the quality of the movie, then I'm more than happy to wait to see more of him in Avengers 2!

Eh.

I guess I am not one of those people who has to know where everyone is every movie.

SHIELD is international... easy to assume Clint is just somewhere else. Not like he can teleport or anything.

Hawkeye's non-appearance wasn't as bad as War Machine not being in The Avengers. Dude's got loads of weapons on his suit and they're fighting an alien invasion. where was he? A throw-away line about his suit being damaged or him being elsewhere would've been nice.
    I surrender to the Contest

I think it would have been worst for him to have a cameo in the beginning and then not come to the aid of Cap/Widow/Fury. Out of sight, out of mind.

Plus Cap was phenomenonal on its own and the movie was already juggling around a dozen characters.

It's no secret Jeremy Renner hasn't exactly been given the best of treatment as far as screentime goes. That's why I never questioned were Hawkeye was, I just knew he was never going to show up.

I agree. Its odd for him not to be with Widow or Shield. I get why she was featured in the movie more as she is in the storyline it was based off of as well. I was really hoping they'd at least mention him. I was hoping he would be in the end credit scene with the twins, like that was what he had been doing that time. And it would have been a nice nod to the comics when those three replace the origins with Cap.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    I think it would have been worst for him to have a cameo in the beginning and then not come to the aid of Cap/Widow/Fury. Out of sight, out of mind.

Plus Cap was phenomenonal on its own and the movie was already juggling around a dozen characters.
    Exactly. And unlike many films, the characters were juggled quite well. I like Renner's Hawkeye, but I'm not bothered by his omission. I would not be surprised if there is a Guardians post credit sequence which features him though.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Exactly. And unlike many films, the characters were juggled quite well. I like Renner's Hawkeye, but I'm not bothered by his omission. I would not be surprised if there is a Guardians post credit sequence which features him though.
    Agreed. Plus I believe Whedon has stated in interviews that Avengers 2 will heavily feature the characters that don't have solo movies or don't have big supporting roles in solo movies.

We'll always have the arrow necklace

Incredible Member

I'm surprised they haven't at least tried to include him in AoS to some degree. Or just name have Fury name drop him as someone he was meeting up with in Europe.

Ultimate Member

Given the time frames involved, it's not unrealistic for anyone who could be present to be somewhere else and unable to get there in time to make a difference. In the Avengers, the 'battle for New York' didn't last that long, and if Rhodey was in, say, DC, and the War Machine armor was at Tony's house in California, he'd still be en route to California to pick up the armor when the battle was all over, and by the time he flew from California to New York in the armor, not only would the battle be over, but the shwarma would be all gone.

Heck, the battle was over so fast, superheroes who lived in New York (and lacked flight or teleportation powers) might not have had time to get there, leaving Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc. stuck in traffic on one of the bridges, yelling at the cabbie.

Same with Hawkeye in Winter Soldier. Assuming he's on assignment somewhere, he might be in deep cover and unable to just run out at a moment's notice without blowing an operation that took years to set up, and when all goes to hell (which, being undercover and unable to receive regular updates from SHIELD, he'd learn about on the national news, like anyone else!), he might not *want* to risk moving openly using commercial airlines, as it's open season on SHIELD agents. So, a month later, he might show up in some US safehouse only he and Natasha know about, having had to move silently across borders and smuggle aboard boats and whatever.

Unlike the Agents of SHIELD crew, he doesn't have his own flying hotel...