Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Nice art
    Bland story

Did DC release 4 Williamson comics on the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It is what it is, i don't think anyone more than what we got, really. And the fact that no one is really dead takes away impact of the story. Looks like not even Ollie is dead, since we don't have any confirmation of this death.

This is just a stepping stone for Dark Crisis.

But hey, I'm actually excited for Dark Crisis.
    Yeah it’s basically just the opening act of “let’s take some of our more powerful and well known characters off the board to give our main stars a challenge”.

For what this issue promised it delivered, I knew it going into this, and I didn’t hate it like other crossovers I’ve read recently. So overall good day for me, I’ll see you all on FCBD.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

I felt like this was written by someone who has a very vague sense of the Silver/Bronze Age Multiverse crossovers. There's no real sense of fun or adventure, the humor and stakes fall flat since they're impossibly huge and there's little to no character development, and the art is middling. Since I was a five year old only allowed to look at my brother's copies of "Crisis On Earth-Prime," I've been fascinated by the Multiverse. I don't personally believe it should have been destroyed since it offered untapped potential. It seems that DC has little to no true understanding of how to utilize it or maximize its marketability and creative potential.

I also didn't like that some of the most compelling and well-known characters were removed from the playing field for "Dark Crisis." I have zero interest in "Jon Kent Superman," and while I love Wally, his presence alone won't be enough to get me to care about these "next generation" types who are going to be front and center in Dark Crisis.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Did DC release 4 Williamson comics on the same day?
    Yep, and at least two of them were pretty good.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I thought I would check this out to see what all the fuss was about and... I really needn't have bothered. What a dull, blandly predictable waste of time. Grant Morrison can do these big events, but everyone else really needs to stop trying: they're just never any good at all, are they? Loads of boring action, a really lackluster plot, and non-existent characterization do not make for a compelling read.

And the rest of the League are obviously just in other realities but if they really do actually "kill" off Ollie like this (ya know, for a bit) that was one lame ass death scene.

Nice art, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

First, it was Alex Luthor, Superboy Prime and Golden Age Superman the ones who turned evil.

Now, it is Pariah.

UI suppose than for the next Crisis, it will be Harbinger who will return as a villian.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

That was underwhelming as hell. I think most of us figured the ending in advance, that these would not be real deaths but merely sent to Pariah's worlds like Barry, but outright giving it away at the end killed any sort of dramatic tension they could've possibly hoped to milk from killing the League. Seriously. I don't know how I'm gonna be expected to take it seriously when Jon Kent starts weeping for his dead dad when they basically just told us he's alive and safe on some other Earth. Maybe you can argue saving that as a twist would be redundant when so many people saw it coming, but still.

Yeah, even if we all knew they wouldn't be dead for too long, they could have tried to save the how until after Dark Crisis and actually leave us guessing. They keep saying this was inspired by "Death of Superman" but did they show Clark in his regeneration pod at the end of the storyline to suck all the intrigue out of "Reign of Supermen?" No, they did not.

All I liked about this issue was the fight scenes and the art. The storytelling could've been better.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Okay forgive me, but who is Pariah again?

Also, seems like Williamson is taking the Marvel approach when it comes to set ups for events. Make everything transparent as hell for the readers so they don't have to worry about things. But at the same time, it can take away a lot of the wondering of the story. So there is that....

Also can't both Jo and Jessica be awesome and adorable, since both are.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That was underwhelming as hell. I think most of us figured the ending in advance, that these would not be real deaths but merely sent to Pariah's worlds like Barry, but outright giving it away at the end killed any sort of dramatic tension they could've possibly hoped to milk from killing the League. Seriously. I don't know how I'm gonna be expected to take it seriously when Jon Kent starts weeping for his dead dad when they basically just told us he's alive and safe on some other Earth. Maybe you can argue saving that as a twist would be redundant when so many people saw it coming, but still.
    This kind of reminds me of when Tynion "killed off" Tim Drake, although I think the execution was still better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Okay forgive me, but who is Pariah again?

Also, seems like Williamson is taking the Marvel approach when it comes to set ups for events. Make everything transparent as hell for the readers so they don't have to worry about things. But at the same time, it can take away a lot of the wondering of the story. So there is that....

Also can't both Jo and Jessica be awesome and adorable, since both are.
    Pariah is basically a scientist who brought the Anti-Monitor to his Earth and in the process of surviving got stuck having to constantly visit all the planets the Anti-Monitor devoured before he got there and witness their destruction.

To say he's not the most mentally stable individual is putting it lightly.

I'll run with the general consensus.

Story was way too rushed for something that is supposed to be a big event.....dare I say save a couple of bucks and find an.....alternate way of reading it if you must.

I highly doubt it will be worth anything $$$$ in ten years time.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This kind of reminds me of when Tynion "killed off" Tim Drake, although I think the execution was still better.

Pariah is basically a scientist who brought the Anti-Monitor to his Earth and in the process of surviving got stuck having to constantly visit all the planets the Anti-Monitor devoured before he got there and witness their destruction.

To say he's not the most mentally stable individual is putting it lightly.
    Thanks! I haven't read Crisis in a while, so I forgot about his role in it. Which brings up the question are we going to have a Mr. Oz situation with this? Like we think we know what it's going to be and then "Gasp" total twist that can end up pissing off readers?

Yeah I agree, Tim's death was not perfect but it was way more well done than what was done here. This was like...I want to say the book that was the lead up to Civil War II in Marvel where everything felt rushed and just there to serve as a way to say they had a prologue to what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, even if we all knew they wouldn't be dead for too long, they could have tried to save the how until after Dark Crisis and actually leave us guessing. They keep saying this was inspired by "Death of Superman" but did they show Clark in his regeneration pod at the end of the storyline to suck all the intrigue out of "Reign of Supermen?" No, they did not.
    It does feel like we are doing an evolution of sorts. It started with characters dying and creative teams claiming that it is real and done deal. Then at some point we switched to "well, if character is popular he might come back". Then to death being only a temporary thing. Now when characters "die" they often aren't even dead. So I guess Williamson is just doing the next logical step and not even pretending that characters who are being "killed" are even in any danger.

Maybe in few years we'll start getting oversized one-shots where character is killed and resurrected in the same story for "maximum drama".