Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sabretooth #3 Review/Spoilers

We open with the preview pages, recapping Melter's time before being thrown in the Pit. He claims he was just trying to train, but he was actually trying to spy on the Quiet Council. His reckless use of powers puts people in danger with his powers and harms Krakoa. Xavier warns him not to do this stuff again, but he does anyway.

At "Krakoa State Penitentiary," where the gang are escaping an Alcatraz-like prison via raft. Sabretooth is making them go through this dream because, when he escaped into his imagination last time, Krakoa made plant versions of him and people all over Krakoa could see him. (See issue #1) He wants to try again. He wants to attract old friends who crave chaos, so they can stir up some drama. Hopefully Hellion is among them.

At Nanny's Cove (which seems to be an actual place on Krakoa and not a dream), sand and stone versions of Oya and Nekra look for Scrambler. They catch Bling! patrolling on the beach, who's been looking for the bodies so they could be resurrected. She was under the impression that Oya and Nekra died.

Meanwhile, a plant Third Eye is off to find Vertigo. He goes to Mole instead. According to Mole, it's been a while since he last saw him. (See issue #2) Turns out time moves slower in the fantasy world and the prisoners thought they were gone for a much shorter time. Mole says that he's been talking to people who don't matter (so no Hellion?) in order to get the word out about what's going on, without alerting the head honchos. ("Some mutants are more equal than others," and all that. See Animal Farm.)

A sparkly microplastics cloud Madison is sent to find Prism. Unlike the others, he didn;t f@#% off to find someone else. But he found ended up finding Skin instead. Skin says he wasn't happy when his mutation first activated. Madison talks about how great he feels as a cloud of microplastics.

A regular Melter is in the Quiet Council chamber, where he meets Xavier. This is likely a dream, because Xavier has hairy Sabretooth hands. Melter asks Xavier to find his parents for him, out in the world. They were humans, but he missed them. Xavier is all "They're very happy you found people." Melter is like "Nah, I caught you in a lie. They're dead." In fact, this is all an illusion by Sabretooth, who doesn't trust Melter like he does the others. Melter says that he still believes in the Professor. Sabretooth kicks his ass.

The Feral Council meet again. Their plans are failing and they're upset. But one Sabretooth knew this was going to fail; he just went along with it because he's an asshole. But he has a better plan: he knew everyone would abandon their mission to find whoever they wanted. He purposely sent everyone out to spread the message amongst Krakoans and get their sympathy. To win the hearts and minds of the people. (Cameos: Marrow, Blob, Shark-Girl.)

In the Pit, Third Eye is aware of what their real bodies are doing. Oya an Nekra are holding hands, while Melter's hand is reaching out for Sabretooth. Third Eye speculates that he's desperate for a leader, and maybe he is. But in this case, he's reaching out to kill Sabretooth and protect Krakoa from him. He's prepared to die and take all the other prisoners with him if it protects Krakoa. He melts much Sabretooth's body to the bones.

There's no Krakoan at the end, meaning I wasted my freaking time learning it.

Pretty good, despite the lack of Hellion. But since a lot of minor characters are getting appearances, and Hellion has a big heart, he could easily show up in a future issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

I very much enjoyed this.

Looking forward to the next issue. Do we have 2 more? or 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    I very much enjoyed this.

Looking forward to the next issue. Do we have 2 more? or 1?
    We've got 2 more.

This was such a quick read! I'm really enjoying this series and hoping we get news about a follow-up soon! I think LaValle is asking a lot of important questions here and it'd be great to see him continue to flesh that out or have it acknowledged by the other books.

Fantastic Member

I was hesitant about this book because I'm not really a fan of Sabretooth, but the story is really quite interesting! I'm in it for the other prisoners now.

It's really a great book.

-Sabretooth is smart, instead of being a mindless berserker
    -All of the cast is getting used, and most of them get moments to shine
    -It's not just a "Ew, Xavier and the Council sucks" book, but portrays Xavier in a fair light, while still calling out what the Council is doing
    -It looks like they're giving all the main characters a fair shake: characters aren't being bashed or portrayed as perfectly innocent, instead everyone has good and bad sides
    -No grievous continuity errors in this issue
    -Minor X-characters make appearances

I hope LaValle keeps this up for the next 2 issues, and his 2 other books. This is the kind of stuff we need in the Krakoa era.

So... we have two that went down there for killing humans, one for ignoring the warning "Don't do this again because you hurt Krakoa and then it eats mutants to heal itself", and one that didn't do anything, is sneaked down there...

But do we already know what Third Eye did?

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    It's really a great book.

-Sabretooth is smart, instead of being a mindless berserker
    -All of the cast is getting used, and most of them get moments to shine
    -It's not just a "Ew, Xavier and the Council sucks" book, but portrays Xavier in a fair light, while still calling out what the Council is doing
    -It looks like they're giving all the main characters a fair shake: characters aren't being bashed or portrayed as perfectly innocent, instead everyone has good and bad sides
    -No grievous continuity errors in this issue
    -Minor X-characters make appearances

I hope LaValle keeps this up for the next 2 issues, and his 2 other books. This is the kind of stuff we need in the Krakoa era.
    Your review made me get this and the first 2 issues, and I really enjoyed them. LaValle is really keeping the quality high and I must tip my hat.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I'm wondering what the Boy and the Cat represent in the Feral Council, since LaValle already showed the Cap is cunning and the Beast is killing

Also, I hope Sabretooth's imaginary egos as King,Starjammer and Lucifer have something to do with next 2 issues
    I mean LaValle spent so many panels of #1 to describe them and they're really awesome

This book is so much better than it has any right to be. I love it.

Incredible Member

Is Vertigo on the Island? When is Birdy going to show up?

Amazing Member

Best issue of the series so far, looking forward to how he ends this first chapter of Sabertooth's Krakoan trilogy.

Mighty Member

Where is Toad? I thought he was also thrown into the pits?

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Where is Toad? I thought he was also thrown into the pits?
    Timeline of this book is earlier than ToM and the ending of Hellions