Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Oh, I just looked at the Tennis Battle and Twilight was deflecting runner bullets multiple times, at once point even returning a serve and smacking the bullet into the gut of one of his opponents in one swing.

And his reaction to Nightfall challenging Yor to a tennis match was basically resigned futility, and his reaction to [Edit: getting a relatively light] a kick to the chin from a very drunk Yor was basically composed terror about how close he came to death.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 05-09-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Spy X Family worth watching Sharp? I liked the art but anime is so hit or miss for me. Especially with how creepy it can get.
    Youtuber Mother's Basement has an essay up on it here:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Spy X Family worth watching Sharp? I liked the art but anime is so hit or miss for me. Especially with how creepy it can get.
    I highly recomend it, it's fairly good at comedy, action, and heartwarming things.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Oh, I just looked at the Tennis Battle and Twilight was deflecting runner bullets multiple times, at once point even returning a serve and smacking the bullet into the gut of one of his opponents in one swing.
    Oooo, boy.

*checks*

Okay, so it's not wildly out of what we've seen thus far. The 'bullets' are explicitly low-velocity rubber bullets, made to sting and bruise and distract during the match. So while it's impressive as all-get-out, it's not actual bullet-timing as we don't know how fast the darned things are going. Is it likely better than swatting arrows out of the air? Absolutely. Enough to make Twilight somewhere in the peak human range? Seems likely as well, especially since he does stuff like 'swat tennis ball AND bullet at the same time, accurately making a tennis shot while hitting his opponent with the bullet', yeesh, that's crazy (at least part of it would be skill, mind, not speed...but the speed allows him to pull that kind of thing off).

Which matches up well with Yor being possibly somewhere beyond peak human, but I don't feel there are enough feats with regards to speed to give Yor 'past peak human' speed.

And his reaction to Nightfall challenging Yor to a tennis match was basically resigned futility, and his reaction to [Edit: getting a relatively light] a kick to the chin from a very drunk Yor was basically composed terror about how close he came to death.
    Yeah, he clearly knew what would happen when Nightfall challenged Yor (in the manga, he even thinks 'That's why I told you not to challenge her' when Nightfall gets completely crushed), and Nightfall is *wiggles hand* somewhere close to Twilight's level, maybe his equal. So Twilight himself knows full-well that Yor's physical competence is...insane.

...and yes, he's aware of this possibly because of that scene where she goes to drunkenly kick him, and we see an expression on his face we've not seen through all of his crazy gun battles and other action sequences.

Drunk Yor 1.jpg

Drunk Yor 2.jpg

Yor has feats for consuming lethal poison and it acting like pain relief, and inhaling poisonous gas and it doing...nothing, all because she's trained to resist poisons. Alcohol seems to be a weakness, though, and she's so completely hammered here that she passes out after falling over, and despite that level of inebriation Lloyd* is absolutely shocked and horrified by her skill and power. This guy who goes through all kinds of gunfights and insane action sequences with complete confidence in his abilities is thinking to himself 'She's going to kill me!'

Yeesh.

It does illustrate an interesting blind spot on the part of Lloyd, in that he's fully aware of Yor's insane prowess and power. He also notes it when, again drunk, she accidentally slaps her brother in the face, sending him spiraling through the air across the room.

[Lloyd] Woah.

But he never questions it. It just is, and he never stops to think 'how did she get that way?' I mean, he's the best trained super-agent around, and she's an office worker who claims she took yoga and some self-defense courses. And Lloyd just kind of shrugs and says 'Okay.' ^_^

* the translation I'm reading uses 'Loid', but I think it's pretty obvious it's meant to be Lloyd.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-10-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Oooo, boy.

* the translation I'm reading uses 'Loid', but I think it's pretty obvious it's meant to be Lloyd.
    Loid is apparently a term used in Lockpicking, so it might be a punny name

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Loid is apparently a term used in Lockpicking, so it might be a punny name
    The official translation also uses Loid, so I suspect that it is meant to be a joke about his profession.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Valid points, all, so I'll head back to using Loid. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate