View Poll Results: Magic for the Amazons

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, baby give me magic amazons!

22 81.48%
  • No, they are fine as is no magic needed!

3 11.11%
  • Other, I would like to propose an alternative.

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Magic and the Amazons

Should the amazons be able to wield magic?

If no, explain.

If yes, how so? Where should they draw upon that power? Is it the elements or a more primordial source? What should it look like? Do they use staffs or wands or just their hands? How advanced or extreme should their magic be? Should it be something learned or something that is natural to certain amazons? What implications could this have on the larger universe? Should magic be something that the amazons are heavily reliant on? How would this look like if you'd want the amazons to have highly advanced technology? Would this actually just be technology so advanced that it seems like magic or the real thing?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think some of the amazons should be able to yield magic while some need magical staffs to yield it and some just are completely out of tune with it and are more old school.

I like them having smaller, floating islands, and some magical-like weapons. I want them to be technically advanced mixed with magic.

The purple healing ray should be a technical weapon that holds magic within it...basically what all we got w/E1 graphic novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think some of the amazons should be able to yield magic while some need magical staffs to yield it and some just are completely out of tune with it and are more old school.

I like them having smaller, floating islands, and some magical-like weapons. I want them to be technically advanced mixed with magic.

The purple healing ray should be a technical weapon that holds magic within it...basically what all we got w/E1 graphic novel.
    Interesting, Do you think that there should be different forms and different colors to signify that form? Like purple could resemble healing and destruction i.e. the PHR and the PDR (purple destruction ray)? What source should their magic come from? Hecate or someone/something else?

I also enjoy magic mixed with advanced tech too.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Interesting, Do you think that there should be different forms and different colors to signify that form? Like purple could resemble healing and destruction i.e. the PHR and the PDR (purple destruction ray)? What source should their magic come from? Hecate or someone/something else?

I also enjoy magic mixed with advanced tech too.
    Id be cool with colors for different things.

The source should come from various places on the island. I know the current run is adding in that The Gods stole the island from inhabitants for the Amazons but I think the island should be magically created by The Gods and with it comes various magical gifts from springs to weapons to wildlife.

I think a select few amazons should be able to use magic, but nothing to the degree of someone like Circe.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Id be cool with colors for different things.

The source should come from various places on the island. I know the current run is adding in that The Gods stole the island from inhabitants for the Amazons but I think the island should be magically created by The Gods and with it comes various magical gifts from springs to weapons to wildlife.
    Yeah, I prefer that the Gods gave the amazons the island via magic and that magic was part of their island. I would prefer that with all the amazon city states.

The Amazons are products of magical power so even if all of them can't shoot sparkles from their hands they should feel some kind of connection to magic. If there are ripples in the magical world, they should be able to feel it.

If an Amazon was a Homo Magi in their past life, they should be homo magi when they were resurrected as well. I like what some of the Amazons are doing by having different tribes built around different patrons. So may be the Homo Magi Amazons are with the Hecate Tribe. Even if they don't have the Magi they could be scholar knowledgeable about magic and draw power from various magical objects or rituals.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

There should be more Amazon mages than we've seen.

Incredible Member

Considering their connection to Ancient Greece, I'd love to see seers and mystics on the island. They don't have to be on par with Zatanna or Doctor Fate, but they would make an interesting addition to the mystical side of DC. Having it connected (in one way or another) to the Lords of Order and Chaos, or even the Shazam mythos would be fascinating as well.

Main reason why its hardly a thing at all is because for the first 30-40 years, they were very science heavy. A handwave made about how Athena is the goddess of knowledge and they dedicate themselves to her by striving for learning.

That said, we do get numerous oracles in later years, and the occasional sorceress. Magala, that one who died unnamed in the Messner-Loebs run, Galenthias the priestess of Hecate goddess of magic who in turn blessed Galenthias with powerful magic. That little cult of Hecate followers shown in Justice League Dark.

If you have a goddess whose thing is giving people magic powers, I say lean into it. Say, have those who devote themselves to Athena strive towards science while those decicated to Hecate go a more magical route.

I keep forgetting how much I disliked Earth One's art.

I'd go off with what Nyssane said, I'm fine with select Amazons being magically endowed or study it more than other fields but none really on the scale of what magical beings like Circe or Zatanna could do. Probably would incorporate Historia in that they all worship/are patrons of Hecate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think a select few amazons should be able to use magic, but nothing to the degree of someone like Circe.
    In-universe, Circe is on a level most can't even approach. But, amazons have access to stuff that, while lower level, is still far beyond mundane things.

They use it very differently that Circe uses her powers... for the most part, but that's because they want to use it for more, practical things to a certain extent.

I like the idea of the amazons using Hecate as their patron of magic. More than that, the amazons look to the stars and moon for guidance, power, and fate. The "head sorceress" could have a cool royal scepter.
    Last edited by Perseus; 04-29-2022 at 04:00 PM.

- Let Penelope keep her oracle powers. (that counts as magic, right?)

- I'm fine with having some magic user amazons, but stop having them be evil! Anyone else notice the magic amazons are almost always evil? And they can have enchanted armor and weapons and stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I like the idea of the amazons using Hecate as their patron of magic. More than that, the amazons look to the stars and moon for guidance, power, and fate. The "head sorceress" could have a cool royal scepter.
    ^^^
    I wanna see Circe in this hat...
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Since I basically want Historia to be the canon origin of the Amazons, that would only leave the original 30 Amazons we have so far as being borne from magic, while the rest of the nation they build will be mortal women. However, since Hecate is one of their patrons, their culture will incorporate many rituals paying tribute to and invoking her. As the nation grows, some Amazons will be more adept in following the teachings of Hecate in particular, so they'd be more magically inclined than the rest. But like Nyssane said, NOBODY on Circe's level.

Otherwise, there are oracles and Themyscira is an inherently mystical setting. But I also want the Amazons to have a sci-fi bent. Advanced tech should be mixed with mysticism.