Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default Neal Adams 1941-2022

Rest in Peace Mr. Adams

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/le...ms-dead-at-80/

Neal Adams, who helped reshape characters like Batman, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow, has died. He was 80 years old. Adams fought for creators rights in comics, conducted regular Q&A sessions with fans on social media, and created or co-created numerous beloved characters, including John Stewart, Ra's al Ghul, and Man-Bat. According to Adams's family, he passed away due to complications from sepsis. Adams, with writer Dennis O'Neil, helped to reshape the public perception of Batman in the 1970s, establishing the dark, vengeful spirit of the night that defines the character to this day.

large-2264491.jpglarge-2264491.jpg
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 04-29-2022 at 11:17 AM.

10chars

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

one of my favorite comic book creators.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

10chars
    ^^^This.

I don't know if their still available, but Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast did a three hour interview with Adams maybe about six or seven years ago now. It was absolutely fantastic and they actually did a great job digging into his life. It was a real eye-opener for someone who didn't always have the best personal reputation. Adams was always one of my favorite creator, but I started to see him in a really different light after listening to the podcast. He came off as a little self-aggrandizing, but overall he seemed like someone who was extremely passionate about the things that interested him.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This is heartbreaking. Neal Adams was a creative genius and a champion of creators rights. His amazing stories for Batman, the X-Men, the Avengers and everything else he touched will live on forever in my mind. R.I.P.

Less than two years after Denny. Rest in power, sir. Thank you for everything.

One of the biggest names, one of the biggest talents in comics. RIP Neal Adams.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My first Neal Adams story and definitive take on Joker's relationship with Batman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A true legend in the industry. RIP sir

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Reading a Neal Adams comic, or looking at one of the covers was just as good as going to a big screen Superhero movie. It was even better because you just knew they would never cast anyone as perfect as his comic books. He is the only creator I ever met. I was at the only signing I have ever been to, trying to take a selfie with him in the background, and he called me over, shook my hand, and told me, "Let's do this the right way." Later he went on to do a one man Q and A. He was singing the song 'Paint It Black' by the Stones as he got up to speak. Anytime I see "Superman created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster", I think of Neal Adams. I told him I spent hours looking at his covers in long boxes at the comic shop and he kept signing my books and said, "Nothing wrong with that!" He didn't charge a dime for his signature.

Adams and O’Neal helped bring DC into the modern age. It can be argued that they saved DC with their revitalization of Batman (since the Batman franchise keeps the lights on). Definitely one of the most influential artists in the history of the medium.

He did such amazing work in his crusades for creators’ rights and compensation, like the fight to get Siegel and Shuster credit and long overdue financial restitution for the creation of Superman.

His art was character-defining, genre-defining, and medium-defining and his commitment to creators rights and the effect that had will be as much of a legacy as the characters he brought to life.

RIP Neal Adams.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Wow, RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't know if their still available, but Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast did a three hour interview with Adams maybe about six or seven years ago now. It was absolutely fantastic and they actually did a great job digging into his life. It was a real eye-opener for someone who didn't always have the best personal reputation. Adams was always one of my favorite creator, but I started to see him in a really different light after listening to the podcast. He came off as a little self-aggrandizing, but overall he seemed like someone who was extremely passionate about the things that interested him.
    I loved that episode so much.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Dammit! This sucks!
    Assassinate Putin!