Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First artist I knew by name. His art was on my bedsheets, coloring books, record albums, t shirts, pretty much everywhere. If I saw a cover he drew, I didn’t care what was inside. I just bought it. He’s the artist I most often emulated when I sat down to attempt to draw. I can remember my mom coming home on a Saturday and throwing the comic below in my direction. I studied this thing like crazy! My all time favorite cover by my all time favorite artist!

D96AF651-974A-4EF3-939F-5928E84862DF.jpg

I'm torn about this news

Spectacular Member

The man who gave Batman his darkness back (no offense Moore or Miller). RIP

Thanks for everything Mr. Adams. It was a pleasure.

7a3e6288fe1d8e6de63de2faa83d491c.jpg
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'm very depressed about this. I think I bought most of his DC Comics (and Marvel Comics) when they came out starting with Deadman. He really changed the industry. I'll miss seeing his new comics coming out.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know what to say. Mr. Adams was the foundation of my Batman knowledge and experience. He was my entry into that world and all the wonderful stories he made possible, defining the character and other for me forever. For me it was him, and Denny O'Neill with Batman. And now the both of them are gone...
    Last edited by achilles; 04-29-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Invincible Member

RIP Mr Adams...

Fantastic Member

It wasn't just that he was a brilliant draftsman, though he was. His figures and layouts were energic. his facial expressions were lively. And his storytelling was on point. His stuff was easy to follow and often he added lots of great background and foreground details that enhanced the story. Heck, the fact that he USED the middle ground so much. That you were just as likely to see the main characters in the middle shots and far shots and not just close-ups put him ahead of so many others. A decade or two prior he could have easily gone toe to toe with a Hal Foster or Milton Caniff in the world of comic strips. And that says a lot.

Ah well we all have to go at somepoint....but that one hurts.

Astonishing Member

R.I.P. Neil Adams. A legend. When I think of Batman, Dennis O'Neil/Neil Adams run comes up. So thankful for that. Thoughts go out to Adams' family and friends at this sad time xxx.

Love his work on Batman, Deadman, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. Comics wouldn't be the same without him.

I'll miss him. RIP.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

RIP

Oh, geez. I just found out in another thread that Neal Adams has passed away. What a shame. In his own way, as huge an influence on comics art as Kirby was in the beggining. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Peace

Met him back in 2012 in San Diego. Neal was such an amazing human being. RIP.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I'm a Marvel man, but Neal was an early favourite artist of mine, when he did DC stuff: I liked his Batman in the 70s, enjoyed the GA/GL stuff, particularly with the drugs issue story, and I still have a lone issue of Spectre..No 5, because of that T-Rex running amok in the city..the Kree/Skull war issues of Avengers stood out too of course.

RIP Neal..gone too soon