Default Lois Lane: World's Greatest Journalist

From Day One, Lois Lane has always been a fiercely driven and deeply ambitious professional.

But her personal relationships (first Clark and now Jon) almost always trump that aspect of her these days.

So, what are some of the best stories out there that really focus on her amazing journalist life?

Superman can be there, obviously, but the spotlight
    has to almost totally be on Lois' unique ability to speak truth to power.

Adapting a top twenty Lois Lane list I posted from a few years back with what I thought were her best stories. I don't know if these all qualify under the criteria, but they at least focus on Lois as a reporter.

1. The Gwenda Bond YA Lois Lane novels are fantastic and definitely a must read. It's a "young" Lois, but Clark is only a pen pal in it for the most part if I remember correctly.

2. Adventures of Superman #625–648 (Vol. 1 Unconventional Warfare, Vol. 2 That Healing Touch, Vol. 3 Ruin Revealed) - Greg Rucka/Matthew Clark Adventures of Superman run is probably Lois' best modern portrayal. This deals with Lois getting shot while embedded in DCU's take on the Iraq War and her subsequent investigation of her own shooting. It's the B-Story to the Ruin plot at the time, but it's one of the best Lois stories out there IMO. These are kinda hard to find. And are not available digitally for some reason, which annoys me to no end because it's also my favorite Superman run.

3. Showcase 96 #3 - A Lois team up with Black Canary.

4. Brave and the Bold #175 - Pre-Crisis Lois & Batman team up to take on Metallo.

5. Smallville Season 11 - There are a lot of good Lois stories in this run. The Olympus collection is decent. Her team up with Lana (can't recall the issues) and the Batman run which has her working with Barbara Gordon are all very good. This is probably one of Lois' most consistently well done portrayals outside of Rucka's Adventures of Superman.

6. Lois Lane (1985) 1-2 - This is a pre-crisis miniseries that is ridiculously dark for a mainstream DC Book now, let alone in 1980's - basically Lois working on uncovering child molestation and murder.

7. Action Comics 884 - This was in the whole New Krypton storyline, but it's another great Rucka written Lois story where she squares off with her Dad and Perry White.

8. Injustice 2 Annual #2 - A flashback tale for featuring Lois & Clark helping track down who tried to kill Bruce Wayne. Tom Taylor gets Lois as well as anyone, and it's a real shame that he didn't get to write her more here.

9. Superman Rebirth #31-32 - Lois interviewing Deathstroke, a fill in for the Tomasi run, but I liked it a lot.

10. Birds of Prey #102 - Lois squaring off with Oracle. Nicola Scott and Gail Simone would make for a great followup to Rucka's maxi series.

11. Action Comics #792 - Clark investigating a local newspaper stand owners disappearance. But has some great interplay of Lois & Clark as reporters.

12. Superman 168 & Detective Comics #756 - Lois & Batman teaming up to steal Luthor's kryptonite ring after he becomes president.

13. Wonder Woman #170 She's a Wonder - This is basically Lois writing a profile of Wonder Woman and explores their dynamic. It's interesting because it gives a good look at how they play off each other and in relation to Superman, so that may not count for your criteria. Not the best story for Lois or Wonder Woman, but I think it ultimately is worth a read.

14. Supreme: Blue Rose - "Diana Dane" is Supreme's take on Lois Lane and this is Warren Ellis writing about Lois investigating the disappearance of Clark Kent at the behest of Lex Luthor. It's kinda trippy - it'd help the be familiar with Alan Moore's Supreme run and his take on the way continuity reboots work via "The Supremacy" - so definitely not for everyone, but I just picked it up and have really liked it.

15. Superman Family Mr. and Mrs. Superman stories starting in 201 I believe. Kinda dated, but I recently picked some of these up and they are a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-30-2022 at 07:07 AM.

^^^Excellent list! I'd also recommend...

Action Comics #597

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-29-2022 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Even though she didn't get the lead on page one, "True Love" might still be of interest (XD)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-29-2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

I wish I could remember the issue number but there was a comic book from the Bronze Age in which Lois was going to break a story and was being targeted for assassination. She was fending off assassination attempts mostly by herself. There was also a scene where somebody throws a grenade into her bathroom while she is in the shower and she simply walked out in her underwear, tosses the grenade back out the window then goes back to showering. Then she is attacked while in a cab going to the Daily Planet but she manages to run the car off the road and deliver the news to the DP successfully.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Great thread, definitely want to read a lot of these stories. Lois is badass.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Lois is one of the best characters in comics. I wish Siegel and Schuster were able to move forward with the K-Metal story. Lois is Superman's mortal partner in heroism and fighting corruption and oppression.

If I had my way. I'd do a character study that'd show her getting inspiration from the life of Ida B. Wells, one of the most impactful real life journalists of the 20th century.

For all that i disagreed with bendis on, i love what he was trying to to with Lois and I want to see more of that sort of thing. She is the bane of supervillains the world over and someone i think heroes would rely on to expose truth to the masses. I think the world trusts superheroes because of Lois Lane.

Just announced new YA Lois Lane OGN coming April 2023. Sounds pretty good. The prior Lois OGN was geared toward a younger audience (my 10 year old enjoyed it quite a bit) this sounds more in the teen YA range.

Writer Sarah Kuhn (From Little Tokyo with Love) returns to the DC Universe with Girl Taking Over: A Lois Lane Story. With expressive and lively art by Arielle Jovellanos (Black Star), Girl Taking Over follows Lois, an ambitious small town girl tackling summer in the big city with gusto. Lois is excited about her internship, her cosmopolitan apartment, and the future she sees unfolding before her, only to find that things rarely go according to plan.

When Lois uncovers a potentially explosive scandal, she must team up with the last person she’d expect to publish her own website for young women. And as Lois discovers who she really is and what she actually wants, she becomes embroiled in her own scandal that could destroy everything she’s worked so hard to create.

On sale April 4, 2023, Girl Taking Over is a charming young adult original graphic novel about finding the strength to embrace the messiness of life.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-ya-gra...-quinn-static/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Just announced new YA Lois Lane OGN coming April 2023. Sounds pretty good. The prior Lois OGN was geared toward a younger audience (my 10 year old enjoyed it quite a bit) this sounds more in the teen YA range.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-ya-gra...-quinn-static/
    I thought the last Lois GN was okay (gender-flipped Clark was a really weird twist) but I'm interested in seeing what this is like.

The last one was about Lois taking an interesting in journalism while this seems like it's progressing her from the gossip columns of CatCo to the genuine, hard-hitting, journalism of the Daily Planet.