Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mutates now allowed on Krakoa? (possible spoilers)

In Sabretooth #3, Vickie sends his team to recruit a trio of original Marauders including Prism, Scrambler, and Vertigo on Krakoa. However... Vertigo is not a mutant. Does this mean Krakoa now allows for mutant-like mutates to reside among mutants? Or is this just a case of the writer not knowing Vertigo is a mutate rather than a mutant? Or maybe they made an exception for Vertigo?

What are y'alls thoughts?

They have previously made exceptions for people with ties to mutants. However, I suspect that it is simply a mistake by the writer.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Sabertooth mentioned her as a good teammate, but note that none of the people he told the others to find actually appeared.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member

Yeah honestly, I've never seen any reason why mutates are considered all that different from mutants, especially given how many of them have been handwaved as having dormant X-genes that were activated by outside sources....with Trial of Magneto making even dormant mutants able to be resurrected, there should be zero reason why mutates aren't considered mutants IMO.

Buuuuut I'm not going to take this as indicative of there being a change in how mutates are perceived overall by Marvel editorial and writers, because its Vertigo. I'm pretty sure she's been assumed to be a mutant at multiple times in the past, both by characters and by writers in interviews and stuff, so I think Occam's Razor here, it literally just didn't occur to LaValle OR his editor that there was a member of the original Marauders who WASN'T (technically) a mutant.

*Shrugs* But hey, one way or another at least there's precedent for Vertigo being Krakoan now if writers want to do something with her in the future.

Well the Savage Land "Mutates"... have been treated as Mutants before. In fact, I think that the current idea is probably that they're basically artificial Mutants. Was that the original intent? possibly not, but.....

In Xmen: TAS, sinister temporarily amplified her powers by splicing her with some of Magneto's DNA. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Verti...)_(Earth-92131)
    That doesn't SAY "she's really a Mutant" but kinda implies it.

Also in https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Verti...)_(Earth-11326) It IS explicitly stated. Also Vertigo was living in Fortress X.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think it was established that the Savage Mutate Vertigo was indeed a mutate.

Things seems to have changed as the latest clone of het was eaten by Predator X, who was suppose to kill mutants only.

We might assume Sinister did something with her DNA when he cloned her.

Another fun fact is that Vertigo was seen on Savage Land long after the Mutant Massacre. So the original one might still be in Savage Land and never been aware she got cloned.

So there is a big change there were two: the original, still in Savage Land, still mutate and the clone. Makes you wonder which one was one was. part of Fortress X.

This is the mystery of Vertigo that was discussed several times and never resolved by any writer.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 04-30-2022 at 12:51 PM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

Things seems to have changed as the latest clone of het was eaten by Predator X, who was suppose to kill mutants only.

Another fun fact is that Vertigo was seen on Savage Land long after the Mutant Massacre. So the original one might still be in Savage Land and never been aware she got cloned.

So there is a big change there were two: the original, still in Savage Land, still mutate and the clone. Makes you wonder which one was one was. part of Fortress X.

This is the mystery of Vertigo that was discussed several times and never resolved by any writer.
    There was a semi-recent issue that had Vertigo as a joint leader of the Savage Land with Lupa and Whiteout where she mentions having dreams where she's dying over and over. I think the idea that the original Vertigo is still in the Savage Land but plagued by the actions of the cloned Marauders version is pretty cool.

Do people really just not read?

Humans were always allowed on Krakoa they just had to have a mutant with them. They couldn't come alone.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post

Humans were always allowed on Krakoa they just had to have a mutant with them. They couldn't come alone.
    OH be NICE..

They probably just missed it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well the Savage Land "Mutates"... have been treated as Mutants before. In fact, I think that the current idea is probably that they're basically artificial Mutants. Was that the original intent? possibly not, but.....

̶I̶n̶ ̶X̶m̶e̶n̶:̶ ̶T̶A̶S̶,̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶m̶p̶o̶r̶a̶r̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶m̶p̶l̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶i̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶M̶a̶g̶n̶e̶t̶o̶'̶s̶ ̶D̶N̶A̶.̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶m̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶.̶f̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶w̶i̶k̶i̶/̶V̶e̶r̶t̶i̶.̶.̶.̶)̶_̶(̶E̶a̶r̶t̶h̶-̶9̶2̶1̶3̶1̶)̶
    ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶S̶A̶Y̶ ̶"̶s̶h̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶M̶u̶t̶a̶n̶t̶"̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶l̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

̶A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶m̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶.̶f̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶w̶i̶k̶i̶/̶V̶e̶r̶t̶i̶.̶.̶.̶)̶_̶(̶E̶a̶r̶t̶h̶-̶1̶1̶3̶2̶6̶)̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶I̶S̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶i̶c̶i̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶V̶e̶r̶t̶i̶g̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶t̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶X̶.̶
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

Last edited by Micabe; 04-30-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    So what I'm getting from this is that... this was a machine that either gave people not born as Mutants an X-Gene, or something like that, since it directly states that it's "evolving" people to make them into Mutants.

At any rate it's entirely possible that there's more than one Vertigo, and they may not all be Mutants.... but that last part is just rampaging speculation with no real evidence. We have some evidence there's more than one, since they seemingly have different personalities. Hypothesis, the original Vertigo is a competent superhero living in the Savage Land. All the evil ones are clones made by Sinister.... which explains why they die so often.

Buuuut with her new rad...bad...and tad bit coquettish bod she's prob hands down a mutie
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

I'm not sure of why this is even a question. Mister Sinister is a mutate and he has a seat at the bloody Quiet Council. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    I'm not sure of why this is even a question. Mister Sinister is a mutate and he has a seat at the bloody Quiet Council. LOL
    There's always been a distinction between mutant and mutate in the X-Men comics. Maybe Sinister is the exception but I don't see Lorelei or Amphibius hanging around the Green Lagoon, and Vertigo wasn't one of the legacy Marauders who appeared in Hellions specifically because she's a mutate.