Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The Depp and Miller situations aren't even close to the same. Fantastic Beasts hadn't even filmed yet when they let go of Depp. Flash has already been filmed. He's the lead of the film. They would have to re-shoot pretty much the entire movie to get rid of Miller. That would cost a ton of money, not to mention delay it even more as they have to arrange reshoots around the other actor's schedules.

WB can say he's fired from all future films, but they aren't going to shove an already completed multi-million dollar film in the closet never to be seen, nor are they going to spend even more money on it to reshoot nearly the entire film.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yes...to save the reputation of your studio and everything involved you schedule re-shoots and remove Miller. Its the same way Tri-Star removed Kevin Spacey from "All the Money in the World" and re-cast with Plummer 2 months before release. WB can sit down , re-cast wisely and Gustin for a number of close up scenes and talking etc where he's needed . The CGI stuff they can place his face on those situations and go from there.

But yeah , this is bullsh-t and I like Batman and Keaton as much as the next guy here. This however is beyond the pale to keep an actor in a movie to save a few bucks.
    First- forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rumors of abuse by Depp start before or around the time of Crimes of Grindlewald? I remember people being upset that Depp was in THAT movie, and I felt that WB was reacting to that hate when they asked Depp to resign from the next one. Or that things blew up even more, and they felt they had no choice.

As for Ezra- while he had some issues before filming the Flash, as far as I know it was really just that one video that came out right before the Pandemic of him choking the woman outside a bar. They probably felt safe in moving forward, and so they did. All this other stuff has come out AFTER the whole movie had been filmed. And while there has been cases of replacing an actor in a film after filming was done due to scandal, I'm not sure there has ever been a case of doing that in a big, multi-million dollar tentpole film designed to relaunch a franchise where the star in question is the lead and plays multiple roles in the film, and who plays off multiple actors in the film. To replace Ezra, they really would have to reshoot probably 95% of the movie, and they would have to bring back actors for reshoots- and probably pay them more. So now you have to work around the schedules of Affleck, Keaton, and Calle (who isn't a big name, but she is a working actress). WB saw with Justice League how much a pain in the ass that could be.

So WB only really has two options- they shelve the film entirely, or they delay as long as they can and hope the famously short attention spans we all have are so distracted by the next scandal when it comes out that we don't even think about all the stuff Ezra's done (or has alleged to have done

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    First- forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rumors of abuse by Depp start before or around the time of Crimes of Grindlewald? I remember people being upset that Depp was in THAT movie, and I felt that WB was reacting to that hate when they asked Depp to resign from the next one. Or that things blew up even more, and they felt they had no choice.

As for Ezra- while he had some issues before filming the Flash, as far as I know it was really just that one video that came out right before the Pandemic of him choking the woman outside a bar. They probably felt safe in moving forward, and so they did. All this other stuff has come out AFTER the whole movie had been filmed. And while there has been cases of replacing an actor in a film after filming was done due to scandal, I'm not sure there has ever been a case of doing that in a big, multi-million dollar tentpole film designed to relaunch a franchise where the star in question is the lead and plays multiple roles in the film, and who plays off multiple actors in the film. To replace Ezra, they really would have to reshoot probably 95% of the movie, and they would have to bring back actors for reshoots- and probably pay them more. So now you have to work around the schedules of Affleck, Keaton, and Calle (who isn't a big name, but she is a working actress). WB saw with Justice League how much a pain in the ass that could be.

So WB only really has two options- they shelve the film entirely, or they delay as long as they can and hope the famously short attention spans we all have are so distracted by the next scandal when it comes out that we don't even think about all the stuff Ezra's done (or has alleged to have done
    Exactly this.

Miller’s situation is so complicated because most of his “transgressions” came out after Flash had been completed. It’s quite different to what happened with Depp. Re-shooting Miller’s role in the Flash would have been the solution but it’s very messy given that he plays multiple versions of Barry Allen in the movie and is the lead of the movie. Recasting will basically be like remaking the whole movie which will be very expensive and very unlikely given that WB doesn’t have infinite amounts of money to throw at their projects.

Honestly, the situation with Flash and Miller is so complicated that I really don’t envy the people that have to decide what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, the situation with Flash and Miller is so complicated that I really don’t envy the people that have to decide what to do.
    I don't either, but I imagine a media blitz with the other stars going on all the shows talking openly about Ezra being a troubled individual, but promoting the film as what it is and how a million other people worked really hard on the movie which is why it deserves to be seen.

Fantastic Member

Is Tokata Iron Eyes a female who just transitioned into a male or was she a teenage transgender? This is one of those situations where I think WB would love to just write a cheque and never speak or deal with this again. It doesn't help that the accusation is "grooming" which is such a nebulous term if this does go to trial it's going to be incredibly awkward.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Is Tokata Iron Eyes a female who just transitioned into a male or was she a teenage transgender? This is one of those situations where I think WB would love to just write a cheque and never speak or deal with this again. It doesn't help that the accusation is "grooming" which is such a nebulous term if this does go to trial it's going to be incredibly awkward.
    I believe she's a non-binary female. No surgery or transitioning, just someone who feels like she's both sexes. (Similar to Ezra I believe)

Reading the court filings, there's a number of red flags, but it reads like a parent/child domestic dispute case. I have to question what the heck kind of parent allows their kid to run off with a celebrity when they are like 14?!?!? At this point it's too late their kid is 18.

Fantastic Member

And this has been going on for 6 years but the family waited until the 100 million dollar film finished.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I believe she's a non-binary female. No surgery or transitioning, just someone who feels like she's both sexes. (Similar to Ezra I believe)

Reading the court filings, there's a number of red flags, but it reads like a parent/child domestic dispute case. I have to question what the heck kind of parent allows their kid to run off with a celebrity when they are like 14?!?!? At this point it's too late their kid is 18.

From a report they have been trying for a long time to locate Miller and the person he's with. Because he moves around the country so much its hard to serve him. They as well claim originally was supposed to go off to a school Miller was paying for and then dropped out going with him. So yeah...its not a good case.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to a report Johnny Depp is in talks now to return as Captain Jack Sparrow. His potential Disney deal will include the 6th film and a Disney+ series. The money Depp could earn is over $300 million...
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

According to a report Johnny Depp is in talks now to return as Captain Jack Sparrow. His potential Disney deal will include the 6th film and a Disney+ series. The money Depp could earn is over $300 million...
    That report has been debunked. The heft price tag is from the defamation trial.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2110766.html

At one point, Heard's attorney Ben Rottenborn asked the actor, "The fact is, Mr. Depp, if Disney came to you with $300 million and a million alpacas, nothing on this earth would get you to go back and work with Disney on a Pirates of the Caribbean film? Correct?"

Depp replied, "That is true, Mr. Rottenborn."

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I feel like Pirates could actually be really good as an episodic show, think Star Trek but on the high seas and more fantasy than science fiction.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

I can’t see Disney ever bringing back Depp to the Pirates franchise.

Same thing I'm thinking. But out of pride and pride alone. If there's ever a change in leadership, maybe, but as it stands now, no.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

They brought back Gunn so I wouldn't say never, but yeah it is unlikely.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Depp is the franchise. Let's be real, who would actually be interested in seeing a Pirates movie without Jack Sparrow?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Depp is the franchise. Let's be real, who would actually be interested in seeing a Pirates movie without Jack Sparrow?
    Eh, I don’t know if the number of people who would be uninterested in a POTC film without Depp would be any smaller than the number of people interest in a POTC with Depp now - and not because of the real life drama.

Jack Sparrow as a character works as the main attraction of an ensemble that can pick up the slack for role and functions he doesn’t necessarily fit - while the character was a sex symbol, I actually think he’s a poor romantic lead, and trying to make him the main POV character kind of wastes the fun of his ability to surprise the audience.

No, they couldn’t figure out how to properly replace Will and Elisabeth in the last two movies, but that just played into the diminishing returns the films were getting from the box office, and the real highlight of the last two films was Geoffrey Rush playing Barbossa. Jack having hijinks by himself or trying to have character growth front and center is a waste of time that gets boring pretty quickly, especially because he has to “reset” to work as a comedic character again.

I think the smart move for Disney is a slightly more modest budget and a lot tighter plot for whatever next POTC feature there is, whether Depp’s in it or not. An ensemble that works is more valuable than just Jack Sparrow.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP