Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The same logic could be apply to what Amber, found liable for defaming Johnny Depp in a Washington Post op-ed. She didn't write it — the ACLU did.

(1) “I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change.” - This was the headline written by the Washington Post editor.

(2) “Then two years ago, I became a public figure representing domestic abuse, and I felt the full force of our culture’s wrath for women who speak out.”

(3) “I had the rare vantage point of seeing, in real time, how institutions protect men accused of abuse.”

I'm not on Amber side or Johnny side but do these lines really meet the standard for malice. Did anyone actually read the op ed because that was what this case was about because the public knowledge of the alleged abuse can from the UK case were Amber was called as a witness.
    Objectively, I feel it does show malice since what she is saying is that her husband sexually assaulted her, if she did lie about it, than that is a malicious thing to do, to make that up about her ex husband.

it will be almost the same thing as when an ex wife or partner accuses the husband or former lover of sexually assaulting their children, see the woddy allen and mia farrow situation from Woody Allen POV, he felt Mia acted out of pure malice in making those accusation.

Not saying Woody is innocent or guilty though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Don't want to quote all that so I'll just cut to the chase.

And if it never went to court Depp would've gone down in history as a domestic abuser and Heard would've gotten away with it. Depp is lucky he actually had the resources to clear his name. Since Depp is a celebrity, Heard's previous article which started is slander on a global scale so yes it should have gone to court.
    This basically.

He had to clear his name and this was pretty much the only way he could it, win or lose.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Even now the effect of the article has folks with evidence shown , refuse to believe Depp was abused. With folks slamming how he got away with it etc.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    The jury both finding them defamed would in fact mean the jury found the claim Amber's abuse didn't happen to be false.

There's no reason she would have had anything ruled in her favor if that wasn't the case.

Well, he abused her, that is pretty much certain. Just like in the UK case where the newspaper won, with court ruling that they had every right to call him a wifebeater because he is. Whether she also abused him is another thing that wasn't a subject of the legal case.

Basically both were toxic people, probably made each other worse, but media is now painting saint Johnny as a victim of a vindictive ex, who has won a major victory when all he did was win a case claiming that her speaking about said abuse was a factor in ruining his career. If the jury believed there was no abuse, they wouldn't rule separately in her favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This basically.

He had to clear his name and this was pretty much the only way he could it, win or lose.
    He didn't clear his name. Many of us still understand that he is a toxic person and a shitty actor. All this means is that women will be even more scared now to come forward, because idiots all over internet are now claiming that this means all of MeToo is wrong.
    Last edited by Catlady in training; 06-02-2022 at 04:32 PM. Reason: I originally called Depp and Heard idiots, but it came out wrong, so I'm retracting that.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Don't want to quote all that so I'll just cut to the chase.

And if it never went to court Depp would've gone down in history as a domestic abuser and Heard would've gotten away with it. Depp is lucky he actually had the resources to clear his name. Since Depp is a celebrity, Heard's previous article which started is slander on a global scale so yes it should have gone to court.
    Losing in the UK for the actual case revolving around domestic abuse and not defamation would've done that.

Depp was doing an ad for Dior not long after that. Whatever turmoil he was facing with brand deals and work was never going to last long. Hollywood has always been kind to abusers, and that stands whether you believe he is or isn't abusive.

And, clearly not global scale if him and his PR team were able to launch a full-out campaign in his favor. He was never not in power about this.

Never mind the fact he'll be in court again for a film worker suing him for assault. I just find it unbelievable for people to act as if Depp has never hit or assaulted anyone when the evidence is in people's faces. It was even proven it court he cut his own finger and people have allowed a misinformation campaign to delude actual facts.

Because even in a world where Amber never laid a hand on him (which I'm sure people will ignore that victims can defend themselves, did no one consider that?) I'm sure there's plenty that will find some reason to ignore him hitting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Well, he abused her, that is pretty much certain. Just like in the UK case where the newspaper won, with court ruling that they had every right to call him a wifebeater because he is. Whether she also abused him is another thing that wasn't a subject of the legal case.

Basically both were toxic people, probably made each other worse, but media is now painting saint Johnny as a victim of a vindictive ex, who has won a major victory when all he did was win a case claiming that her speaking about said abuse was a factor in ruining his career. If the jury believed there was no abuse, they wouldn't rule separately in her favor.
    I agree he was abusive to her did you read what I said? That's not me defending him.

I said if the court felt she was defamed when she was claiming him as an abuser meant that they had to recognize in some capacity she was abused. So the verdict didn't even make sense, because she wasn't lying about the things she said.

The case wasn't about whether or out Depp was abusive (previously proven anyway), it was if the article was defaming him. The vast majority ignore that fact, Amber was abused, focusing on the defamation which isn't helping the misinformation being spread.

And, I agree people are acting like he's a saint. He was clearly abusive, that's been proven.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying because I'm not on his side and I've been a firm believer in what heard said about him the first time. Especially, when it was, again, already proven.
    Last edited by thefinalguy; 06-02-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

I agree he was abusive to her did you read what I said? That's not me defending him.

I said if the court felt she was defamed when she was claiming him as an abuser meant that they had to recognize in some capacity she was abused. So the verdict didn't even make sense, because she wasn't lying about the things she said.

The case wasn't about whether or out Depp was abusive (previously proven anyway), it was if the article was defaming him. The vast majority ignore that fact, Amber was abused, that's accurate.

And, I agree people are acting like he's a saint. He was clearly abusive, that's been proven.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying because I'm not on his side and I've been a firm believer in what heard said about him the first time. Especially, when it was, again, already proven.
    I wasn't arguing with you, just posting my thoughts about the case and using what you wrote as a springboard, since nobody else mentioned that fact that they also ruled in her favor on one issue.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I wasn't arguing with you, just posting my thoughts about the case and using what you wrote as a springboard, since nobody else mentioned that fact that they also ruled in her favor on one issue.
    You said you two idiots and I was quoted in it. But we are on the same page so whatever just miscommunication.

But, yeah what's bothering me is people have been very one-sided when it comes to the actual facts of this. False accusations in the realm of assault/abuse are much lower than cases that are true. And, these very things are exactly why people just don't come forward.

But, anything for a washed-up star who'll be in court for assaulting someone else sooner rather than later I guess.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Even now the effect of the article has folks with evidence shown , refuse to believe Depp was abused. With folks slamming how he got away with it etc.
    The article was not what caused Johnny problem, as someone who use to follow the celeb news their messy relationship and his drink and drug problems started to affect his career.

When Amber wrote the article he didn't take any action against her, he was only moved to take action when the UK Sun called him a wife beater, the UK is very favorable to plaintiffs, in order to win that case the Sun had to prove what they said was substantially true, the Sun called Amber along with several other witnesses to prove their case, out of the 14 allegations 10 were found to meet that standard, Depp appealed the U.K. decision and lost.

Since that ruling Sun would call him wife beater, even with this decision they still have the power to do that.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 06-02-2022 at 11:48 AM.

My thoughts about this are that I was forcibly dragged along to see articles about a shitshow about two shitty people doing shitty things to each other I had no interest in following.

Yet somehow it was plastered on every fucking feed (I should've genuinely have flagged them all as harassment tbh) and every other youtube video was recommended to me about this.

Fuck them both, but mostly fuck Johnny Depp for forcing this on the world by suing in a state where it would be made into a shitshow.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Losing in the UK for the actual case revolving around domestic abuse and not defamation would've done that.

Depp was doing an ad for Dior not long after that. Whatever turmoil he was facing with brand deals and work was never going to last long. Hollywood has always been kind to abusers, and that stands whether you believe he is or isn't abusive.

And, clearly not global scale if him and his PR team were able to launch a full-out campaign in his favor. He was never not in power about this.

Never mind the fact he'll be in court again for a film worker suing him for assault. I just find it unbelievable for people to act as if Depp has never hit or assaulted anyone when the evidence is in people's faces. It was even proven it court he cut his own finger and people have allowed a misinformation campaign to delude actual facts.

Because even in a world where Amber never laid a hand on him (which I'm sure people will ignore that victims can defend themselves, did no one consider that?) I'm sure there's plenty that will find some reason to ignore him hitting her.
    The case in the UK was also a libel suit and he lost because that case was not as extensive as this recent one and the judge had the final decision rather than a jury.

Just because he got one gig doesn't mean he lost others due to the effects of the claims/article.

How can you say it wasn't on a global scale? Is the internet only available in the USA and the UK? And what's wrong with him using a PR team in order to provide a defense for himself when Heard put together a PR campaign to start all this in first place?

The other assault is another matter, I can easily bring up the fact that Amber Heard assaulted her ex-gf as proof of guilt too. If there was proof that Depp perpetrated the majority of abuse the defense did a bad job proving it. I'm not even sure where you got that Depp's finger wound was self-induced cuz they got the cops as witnesses that Depp was the one injured when they reported on the scene and medically reports saying that the cut wasn't self-inflicted.

I'm not sure how you can say "victims defend themselves" as if that right doesn't apply to Depp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    My thoughts about this are that I was forcibly dragged along to see articles about a shitshow about two shitty people doing shitty things to each other I had no interest in following.

Yet somehow it was plastered on every fucking feed (I should've genuinely have flagged them all as harassment tbh) and every other youtube video was recommended to me about this.

Fuck them both, but mostly fuck Johnny Depp for forcing this on the world by suing in a state where it would be made into a shitshow.
    Unless Twitter employees literally dragged you in front of a screen to see this shit, this was your own fault.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 06-02-2022 at 12:29 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

It was like watching divorce proceedings play out in slow motion, writ large on every single source of social media, inescapable.

As Sartre once said, "L'enfer, c'est les autres" or "Hell is other people"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unless Twitter employees literally dragged you in front of a screen to see this shit, this was your own fault.
    I don't use twitter.

Ultimate Member

Amber Heard couldn't really produce credible evidence of said abuse. Therein lies the problem.

I 100% agree that they were both toxic. Correction, the jury didn't rule in her favor because of abuse, they ruled in her favor because Depp's lawyer called Heard's original allegations a hoax.

He didn't clear his name. Many of us still understand that he is a toxic person and a shitty actor. All this means is that women will be even more scared now to come forward, because idiots all over internet are now claiming that this means all of MeToo is wrong.
    Yes, the men's rights hacks and incel idiots have jumped all over this but to quote Sam Wilson from Falcon and the Winter Soldier (and I paraphrase) "they are outta line but they do have a point".

Based on the evidence that we've seen and read, Deep doesn't have a history of being physical towards his exes. What we do have is Amber Heard that has been violent towards her partners and there are recordings of Depp running and hiding in the bathroom from Heard's abuse (it's everywhere on the internet). This isn't consistent with a man that's abusing his partner, if anything it's the other way around here.

No one should be a victim of abuse and in this case, it seems Heard was doing the abuse not Depp.

Thanks a lot, you two idiots![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure who you're referring to here as none of us here had any hand in the case.

The case in the UK was also a libel suit and he lost because that case was not as extensive as this recent one and the judge had the final decision rather than a jury.

Just because he got one gig doesn't mean he lost others due to the effects of the claims/article.

How can you say it wasn't on a global scale? Is the internet only available in the USA and the UK? And what's wrong with him using a PR team in order to provide a defense for himself when Heard put together a PR campaign to start all this in first place?

The other assault is another matter, I can easily bring up the fact that Amber Heard assaulted her ex-gf as proof of guilt too. If there was proof that Depp perpetrated the majority of abuse the defense did a bad job proving it. I'm not even sure where you got that Depp's finger wound was self-induced cuz they got the cops as witnesses that Depp was the one injured when they reported on the scene and medically reports saying that the cut wasn't self-inflicted.

I'm not sure how you can say "victims defend themselves" as if that right doesn't apply to Depp as well.
    And was the UK judge exposed to a PR campaign like the unsequestered jury in this one?

I'm saying Depp has more social clout and resources that globally his outreach will supersede any bad press he received. Hence this very case.

And, it's bad because again there was no sequestering, cases like this shouldn't be public. This wasn't the OJ trial. Do you think jurors can't be persuaded?

If you look it up Amber's ex-gf said that wasn't the case and spoke about her in good faith. If some of Johnny's exes hold weight then hers should too. And, I checked that when this trial started because I wanted to make sure I had all the facts. Maybe you should do the same.

If victims can defend themselves then doesn't that apply to Heard as week?