Default Square Enix Sells Western Studios to Embracer Group

EMbracer Group has purchased Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, and Square Enix Montreal from Square Enix.

They also bought Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain, and more than 50 back-catalogue titles for $300 million on a cash and debt-free basis.

https://realotakugamer.com/embracer-...re-enix/81779/

Square Enix will retain Just Cause, Outriders, and Life is Strange.

What games do you hope to see get revived now?

Well, it's not like SE ever had any idea what to do with Legacy of Kain and they clearly lost interest in Deus Ex. I have no idea if this Embracer Group will be any better, but they can't do much worse.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This shocks me that Sony didn't make a move to get Tomb Raider at least here. With that price tag its wild.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

deus ex is the #1 revival hope for me

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This shocks me that Sony didn't make a move to get Tomb Raider at least here. With that price tag its wild.
    I'm wondering where Sony was at as well. For 300 mil they could have gotten way more out of this deal than their purchase of Bungie

Mighty Member

If this results in a new Legacy of Kain game, particularly one more in the style of Blood Omen than Soul Reaver, I am 100% ok with this.

Blood Omen is still one of my favorite classic games.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    deus ex is the #1 revival hope for me
    Same here. I'm still hoping for a decent wrap-up to the Human Revolution/Mankind Divided series and to see how that leads into the original Deus Ex.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm wondering where Sony was at as well. For 300 mil they could have gotten way more out of this deal than their purchase of Bungie
    Sony was chasing that "Live Service" money. I guess buying one of the few companies that has managed to make that model work was of utmost importance to Sony

I also have read that Squeenix may have sold off all those development companies to make themselves more appealing for Sony to buyout Square itself.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Sony was chasing that "Live Service" money. I guess buying one of the few companies that has managed to make that model work was of utmost importance to Sony

I also have read that Squeenix may have sold off all those development companies to make themselves more appealing for Sony to buyout Square itself.

That is the big rumor that Sony wants Square . No idea how true it is. (There is also a rumor Sony could try to buy From Software.)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

They sold the companies so they have money to invest in Blockchain and live services. Considering their ventures in the latter have been abysmal failures they are throwing money away

Is the Tomb Raider game that's supposedly supposed to harmonize the Survivor canon with the originals still being developed?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They sold the companies so they have money to invest in Blockchain and live services. Considering their ventures in the latter have been abysmal failures they are throwing money away
    That reminds me of when SQUARE tried to make it's own movie studio. It produced Final Fantasy the Spirtis Within and ... nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That reminds me of when SQUARE tried to make it's own movie studio. It produced Final Fantasy the Spirtis Within and ... nothing else.
    It also produced a short for the animatrix.