Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean yeah that's true I suppose. I would argue this haircut is also unlike all the other female superheroes:
    Yes, that one and the one where the tiara completely circles the head are also faves. I liked that Byrne used several of her looks over the course of his run.

Looking at the pic makes me think of the shorts and wonder where else have I seen in shorts in modern times. Off to de eenta nehtz!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    And I very much do! Thanks, Alpha! No longer shall I be ashamed!

I love Di's hair under the pens of Perez, Boland, Deodato, and Jimenez.So much body and so curly! It sets her apart from the bazillion straight haired/slightly wavy haired femmes in the DCU.
    I'm with you. Gimme those squiggles and loopty-loops all day. I can get down with looser curls though, e.g. Nicola Scott or more recently Marguerite Sauvage (though I'm biased because that's my curl pattern lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Yes, that one and the one where the tiara completely circles the head are also faves. I liked that Byrne used several of her looks over the course of his run.

Looking at the pic makes me think of the shorts and wonder where else have I seen in shorts in modern times. Off to de eenta nehtz!
    Maybe you're thinking of the animated movie Justice Society World War 2 which was also designed by the same artist as the drawing I posted. Otto Schmidt

Maybe you're thinking of the animated movie Justice Society World War 2 which was also designed by the same artist as the drawing I posted. Otto Schmidt

I was NOT. At least not for the hair. The shorts however do look neat!

Other than that, while there are some highlights (Black Canary) I can't say I was a fan of that. But I am not really down for Wonder Xena in general.

For the hair I was thinking of Byrne, but the more recent, experimental, felt-tip, self inking Byrne with those lush Mulvihill colours

Screenshot_20220922-194105_Kindle.jpg
    Last edited by Stanlos; 09-22-2022 at 04:43 PM.

I like Diana having thick curls too, but I also want her to have like a single gold hair band (with her tiara) that like keeps some of it out of her face while fighting. Similar to Zeus from GOW and all his golden hair bands.
    Zeus hair.jpg
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I'm with you. Gimme those squiggles and loopty-loops all day. I can get down with looser curls though, e.g. Nicola Scott or more recently Marguerite Sauvage (though I'm biased because that's my curl pattern lol)

Sauvage’s rendering of Diana’s hair is my quibble with her style. She makes it look like the strands are alive and moving independently. LOL
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Looks like she just got out of water to me

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Sauvage’s rendering of Diana’s hair is my quibble with her style. She makes it look like the strands are alive and moving independently. LOL
    I like the hair it's the empty area of the bottom eyeline that gets me. It's supposed to make the eyes look shiny and wet (which it does) but it also makes people look high.

I mean yeah that's true I suppose. I would argue this haircut is also unlike all the other female superheroes:
    That's because it went out of style in the 1940's. It's great for Golden Age images but it's too retro for modern times. That was my problem with Byrne's full circle tiara and duck bill boots, although they're distinctly Wonder Woman they look anachronistic in a contemporary setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's because it went out of style in the 1940's. It's great for Golden Age images but it's too retro for modern times. That was my problem with Byrne's full circle tiara and duck bill boots, although they're distinctly Wonder Woman they look anachronistic in a contemporary setting.
    I lile many different hairstyles, but Diana is inherently an anacronistic character. There's no reason why Diana couldn't have an anacronistic hairstyle.

This small pompadour with long hair curled up in the back makerd her look like a woman in charge, which is definitely her best vibe. That and the adventurer vibe

Incredible Member

I lile many different hairstyles, but Diana is inherently an anacronistic character. There's no reason why Diana couldn't have an anacronistic hairstyle.

This small pompadour with long hair curled up in the back makerd her look like a woman in charge, which is definitely her best vibe. That and the adventurer vibe
    While I understand what you mean by anachronistic, I view Diana as the definition of a Modern Woman, unbound by expectation's or the obligation's typical of women in Man's World and illustrating an alternative path. She's radical and subversive, and that manifests in many ways, her fashion and style being among them. Anywho, I don't know many women that don't change their hairstyle quite frequently so I'm all for it, as I know you are. I just found that term applied to Diana interesting, is all!

She's an amazon princess. There's nothing modern about that. Every example of royalty that you see nowadays is an allusion to an outdated way of living. The amazons themselves are always treated like they live in ancient times.

Heck, people here like the idea of her costume being inspired by ancient greek soldiers. She's anacronistic. I don't understand the surprise.

Like I said, I've enjoyed many if her different hairstyles and I like her to have an appreciation for clothing (not for the fashion model aesthetics, but that's a different discussion). But if you don't recognize that her having an hairstyle from the past makes sense for Wonder Woman, then you have a very selective view of her modernity
    Last edited by Alpha; 10-03-2022 at 06:13 AM.

Incredible Member

She's an amazon princess. There's nothing modern about that. Every example of royalty that you see nowadays is an allusion to an outdated way of living. The amazons themselves are always treated like they live in ancient times.

Heck, people here like the idea of her costume being inspired by ancient greek soldiers. She's anacronistic. I don't understand the surprise.

Like I said, I've enjoyed many if her different hairstyles and I like her to have an appreciation for clothing (not for the fashion model aesthetics, but that's a different discussion). But if you don't recognize that her having an hairstyle from the past makes sense for Wonder Woman, then you have a very selective view of her modernity
    I'm not arguing against it. You misunderstood. My opinion of her as a Modern Woman does not preclude her from rocking a pompadour. That'd be silly. As a modern woman, homegirl can wear whatever she wants and style her hair however the hell she wants without any regard for what anyone thinks of her or any ideas about the timeliness of the do. She's Wonder Woman, she ought to be the most fabulous looking woman and hero out there, whether it's in a battle skirt or bikini, rocking curls or pompadour or with a messy bun and up-do, with sandals or stilettos or knee high boots or just free-footing. She's Wonder Woman, y'all. She can do it all.

Okay what you said is more than fair. I'm sorry if I sounded aggressive, it wasn't my intention. I should have been more careful with how I wrote the message

Slight spoiler for Dark Crisis #5, but we have yet another example of DC telling us Wonder Woman is important, but they'll be god damned if they actually show it.