Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

https://tinihoward.substack.com/p/ex...-a-justice?s=r
    The kind folks at DC Comics said I could do something really cool and do an exclusive reveal of some covers for my upcoming one-shot, Worlds Without a Justice League: Wonder Woman, and I said hell yes!

This September, I join hands with Themysciran sister Leila Del Duca to bring you my first ever Wonder Woman story, complete with beautiful cherry blossoms and a cover homage to my home city of Washington, D.C.

I’ve loved Leila’s work since I was a green little comic shop employee myself, stocking shelves with Shutter, a favorite of the cool subscribers at my shop. She also drew one of my favorite Wicked + Divine issues, a super goth issue about the Morrigan that frankly rules. Getting to work with her feels like an exciting high five to 2015 Tini. Thanks Leila!

I don’t want to spoil too much - so I’ve kept things vague, but one of my favorite things about writing this story was getting to dig into the incredible Amazon mythos that’s been established recently by writers Stephanie Williams and Vita Ayala. Between the incredible Wonder Woman backup stories that led up to Trial of the Amazons to their joint work on books like Nubia and the Amazons, I’m more into their world now than I’ve ever been. They’re both doing incredible things over there, I genuinely was so excited to get to build on that mythos in this story.
    WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE: WONDER WOMAN

When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost...until now. To power his weapons of war, Pariah has captured each member of the Justice League and trapped them on worlds suited to their every dream and desire...while the planets themselves slowly eat away at their respective inhabitants. As Wonder Woman begins a new chapter in her life, Pariah has uprooted her to a reality he controls—how will the Amazon Princess adapt?

Also, Dan Watters and Brandon Peterson combine forces for a noir tale featuring Martian Manhunter! Where there’s life there’s hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of the DCU’s biggest event of 2022!

Written by TINI HOWARD
    Art and cover by LEILA DEL DUCA
    Backup written by DAN WATTERS

Backup art by BRANDON PETERSON
    1:25 variant cover by AL BARRIONUEVO
    1:50 foil variant cover by LEILA DEL DUCA
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | One-shot
    ON SALE 9/13/22

That's a lot of gold.

Again with the sword and Shield? How in the world do these people not understand who Diana is? She isn't a knight or Gladiator, she is a Wrestler. And the Lasso is one of the coolest things about her. I'm curious about this story, but since they don't even understand that basic thing, I'm guessing I won't appreciate their vision of Diana's Ideal World

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I don't even mind a sword and shield but I'm over it at this point lol. She doesn't need to be yielding them on every cover and in every fight. She's a hand2hand combat Amazonian. Lets get back to that.

So, what are we figuring here?

You'd think a story where the protagonist is transported to their dream world where all their desires come true would be an opportunity to explore the character's wants and needs and maybe offer some new or interesting insight.

Based on the covers, I seriously doubt we're getting that.

Maybe Diana will realize something's wrong with this fake world and this comic will show a turning of the tide where she leads the way for the other heroes escaping? The description claims that "all hope is lost...until now." It would actually suit Diana, given her connection to the truth to be the one who sees through Pariah's deception.

But that would actually mean Wonder Woman will play a relevant part in a major DC event story. I won't hold my breath.

Which just leaves the, IMO, most likely scenario: it's just filler. Diana meanders around her WandaVision world, encounters some sinister hints but never realizes something's up, the issue ends on a cryptic note setting up her inevitable rescue via the other heroes, and congrats, that's five bucks out of your pocket for a whole lotta nothing.

I think that's what's most frustrating about the roles they give Wonder Woman in these stories. I don't need her to be the game-changer the plot hinges on or to constantly be in center stage. But it's always the most basic, cookie-cutter, automatic pilot approach that demonstrates a complete lack of effort. Diana doesn't need to be the star, but god forbid they're ever arsed to think of something interesting for her to do.

And if they don't care, why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Again with the sword and Shield? How in the world do these people not understand who Diana is? She isn't a knight or Gladiator, she is a Wrestler. And the Lasso is one of the coolest things about her. I'm curious about this story, but since they don't even understand that basic thing, I'm guessing I won't appreciate their vision of Diana's Ideal World
    I can't see how you can say they don't understand Wonder Woman while saying stuff like this. Diana being a wrestler and occasionally using wrestling moves are not the same thing. And the lasso isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-07-2022 at 08:35 PM.

So her ideal world is a costume change? She could get it whenever she wanted! Lol

Not really much to go on since she says she's keeping it vague, covers already give off "Warrior Woman" vibes though.

Given it seems Dark Crisis (lol) #1 was bad, and all the leadup to it was bad, probably be a right call to just skip this.

Hopefully Historia #3 can come out September so we least get something good that month.

Her ideal world is where she cay slay things.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Her ideal world is where she cay slay things.
    Oh god! Her ideal world is the Injustice Universe. :P

I'm joking but I wouldn't put it past them tbh.

EDIT: I actually think the costume is fine.
    Last edited by Zagre; 06-08-2022 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Dark Crisis: Worlds Without A Justice League: Wonder Woman Covers by Leila Del Duca and Al Barrionuevo
    I like this art style but good god with this bad armor. It looks like a bad met gala costume. I really don't like this whole theme of Diana wearing armor, but it's basically skintight and pointless *cough* 1984 eagle armor *cough*. If your gonna give Wonder Woman in armor, make it actual armor. I mean this is just ignoring that 90% of the people she fights, she doesn't even need to wear it. I so over complaints about the sword and shield, like at this point she has them its whatever to me. As long as she uses them against credible threats i.e. Darkseid or other Gods and not someone like Silver Swan or Giganta I'm ok with it. But here, with the other one, we have what looks like regular dudes she's fighting, which like.... no. God, even in a fantasy world Diana is still being relegated to dealing with canon fodder.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Also, Dark Crisis, just feels so generic in plot even more so after that first issue.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Is it really that hard for DC comics to write Wonder Woman as a diplomat character?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Is it really that hard for DC comics to write Wonder Woman as a diplomat character?
    It was always hard for them to treat WW with some respect. And nowadays more than ever before. It is hard for them to care about anything not related to batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    How do you know she won't be written as one in this story? We don't even know what Diana's ideal world is like so far.