View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default If You Could Kill Off/Retire *ONE* Green Lantern Who Would You Choose?

Title speaks for itself.

I'm really curious about the results for this.

We all agree that the franchise bloated with too many human lanterns and some of them have to be benched for a while. So who would you choose?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

In my case, I voted for Simon Baz.

No distinct personality, his back story read like a collection of stereotypes (WTC? Car thief? Guantanamo Bay?) obviously written by someone who is *not* from a muslim community or background. Imagine if Neal Adams didn't fight for John Stewart and instead went with the stereotypical 'Lincoln Washington' gangbanger interpretation of the character.

DC can and should do better so I think killing off Simon and focusing on developing existing muslim characters like Khalid Nassour and introducing better and thoughtful representations of muslim characters would be a better deal.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I'd retire Keli. Let her grow up first and then think about whether she has a place there or not. But no 11 year olds in the Corps. Just because Batman keeps making kids Robins, doesn't mean an intergalactic peacekeeping force should do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In my case, I voted for Simon Baz.
    ^^^Same.
    He’s the least interesting of the GLs to me. Other than instantly disliking the gimp mask I’ve never really had reason to sit down and figure out any other specific reasons, but you covered things pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd retire Keli. Let her grow up first and then think about whether she has a place there or not. But no 11 year olds in the Corps. Just because Batman keeps making kids Robins, doesn't mean an intergalactic peacekeeping force should do the same thing.
    They instead should lock her up because she "knows too much" lol

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

it was a toss up for me between Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. Went with Cruz.

Probably Kyle.

Don't think anyone's really had a solid long-term idea what to do with him when he's not being the one lone GL in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably Kyle.

Don't think anyone's really had a solid long-term idea what to do with him when he's not being the one lone GL in existence.
    I’d settle for Kyle being the one lone GL on Earth. Keep the others in space and or in the JLA but have Kyle come back home and rebuild his life.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Retire?
    Alan Scott definitely. They’ve kept the Golden Age heroes around long enough. Besides, he has a daughter, Jade. Who can take over for him.

Hal Jordan - He’s seen it all done it all and can “pass the torch” to other lanterns.

Kilowog can go hang up the ring. Let Guy Gardener take his place training the new recruits.

John Stewart isn’t going anywhere. The comics have never given him the exposure or treatment they gave a Hal or Kyle. But pop culture knows John from the JL/JLU and Static Shock cartoons. You’re not about to bench a character like that.

Kyle Rayner can hang up the ring and pick up the pen. He’s done a lot he can be proud of and has nothing to prove.

Simon Baz could use another crack at the whips. Johns had big plans for him, but Jessica Cruz took off in a way Simon didn’t. Trial by fire, Simon.

Jessica Cruz is like John Stewart. Pop culture loves her and she isn’t going anywhere.

Keli Quintela - sigh* Teenage lantern on a team with other reckless and impulsive teenagers? Why?!

Sojurner Mullien - We didn’t need another Earth Green Lantern. Send her back to the far sectors or have her take a tour in limbo. Plenty of company in there.

Wow, that was a tough one to choose, since, what I'd really like to do is kill/retire ALL Earth's GLs with one single exception. Some, like Guy Gardner, could find a calling as another hero (maybe a reworking of his Vuldarian heritage), others, like Hal, should sail into the sunset to live happily everafter (except for special occasions), but most, IMHO, should get killed off. The one I'd choose to stay with would be John Stewart, for he was chosen for the same reason as Hal (the ability to overcome fear), as an architect, has an artistic background, same as Kyle, and the former Marine background (IMHO, an excellente later addition/retcon to his past story life that we have the JL cartoon to thank for) give him another really intresting layer. Plus, as much as most of the GLs have suffered personal tragedies, I think John takes the cake, and he just keeps on going.

Peace

Edit: By the way, since I only had one choice, I went with the annoying Teen Lantern, but there were so many I wanted to axe.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Just one?

Im not a fan of a teen lantern that is just a lantern because they somehow hacked a ring/power battery (never been a fan of the ULTRA smart humans that can hack anything in the universe) so I'd go with them.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    (IMHO, an excellente later addition/retcon to his past story life that we have the JL cartoon to thank for)
    it was added in the comic all the way back in MOSAIC the cartoon just made it his only feature.

Real toss-up between Simon and Teen. I admit I also noticed people, outside of here, who were super into Jo when she was in Far Sector INSTANTLY stopped caring about her once that was over and have not had anything to say about anything done with her since or even knowen more has been done with her. This does suggest to me she's better off at best just staying in Far Sector. But that is obviously a limited sample size so I don't put a ton of stock in it. But Simon I don't think has any fanbase at all and is the easiest GL to just... quietly retire. Though the upcoming HBO series might change that. Teen is really new so harder to say what her fanbase is, but she seems to have more than Simmon. But does feel like an odd fit for GL and more Brandis just... doing his Brandis thing with no real care as to how well it fits. Kyle is also a hard one. Like I've said it seems like so much of his base appeal is 'average dude in over his head and is the last ever GL' and just... none of that is true anymore.
    Last edited by NathanS; 05-03-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Just one?

Im not a fan of a teen lantern that is just a lantern because they somehow hacked a ring/power battery (never been a fan of the ULTRA smart humans that can hack anything in the universe) so I'd go with them.
    that never actually happened.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

To help Baz out. I suggest partnering him with Kyle. An experienced lantern show Baz the ropes of being a galaxy defender.

Green Lanterns vol 1 #23.

Kyle Rayner trolling and training Simon Baz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably Kyle.

Sadly I agree. Kyle was one of my favorite characters when I first started reading comics and I’ve always had a soft spot for the guy. Hell, when it was revealed that he was half Mexican-American I was so damn happy. But if one GL should go, currently it’s him. It would be meaningful since he’s played a big role in the past but also help alleviate the overcrowded GL franchise.