View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

None. Keep them all.

Gee, Hal has gathered quite a lot of votes since last time i checked this thread.

Let's see, we have 8 earth GL eh? 1 more and we have enough for a baseball team.

That could be a fun book.

Isn’t Simon Baz the only one who was a criminal before being chosen by a ring?

Or maybe some people just like the other characters more?

(That said, I am a little surprised he's "winning.")
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-13-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

Nah. This isn't about who you like more, but who you like the least and ... I think they guy earlier who explained that whoever a non-jordan fans favorite is
    they're most likely to want Hal gone because he's always been "That Guy". Like that main guy.

So you see simon has the smallest fan base but jordan has to go because he's a threat to "muh favorite". I was shocked to find out the plan was to replace the John though. crazy.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Isn’t Simon Baz the only one who was a criminal before being chosen by a ring?
    Criminal no, but in his original history Guy Gardner was a juvenile delinquent who later became a social worker for prison inmates. (I like that history more than rebooting him to be an ex cop)

Nah, it's headhunting for Hal.

He sells over 100,000 copies everytime he has a first issue....other Green Lanterns will be lucky to get over 60,000....yet he's leading in this poll???

Hell, John Stewart was selling less than 30,000 after issue 3!!! Makes you wonder how bad sales would be for other GL's.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Hal leading the poll likely has more to do with Hal having the most content and people feeling he can be put on ice for awhile.

We have the entire Silver Age, Bronze Age, 8 years of the post-COIE era, 9 years under Geoff Johns, Vendetti's New 52 run, Vendetti's Hal Jordan and the GLC run during Rebirth, Grant Morrison's run, etc. Hal has literally seen it all and done it all. One could say that he's overexposed.

A rotating roster wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    He sells over 100,000 copies everytime he has a first issue
    Most first issues sold well though.

Retired

Personally, when they killed off Hal, even though I hated everything that had been done with him before that, I thought they should let him rest in peace. The last thing I wanted was to see him revived and put through more abuse.

Other than death--I would have liked to see him return to the future as Pol Manning (resuming his role from Salakk) in the 58th century. I also thought Barry should have been left in the 30th/31st century with Iris, to raise their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Nah. This isn't about who you like more, but who you like the least and ... I think they guy earlier who explained that whoever a non-jordan fans favorite is
    they're most likely to want Hal gone because he's always been "That Guy". Like that main guy.

So you see simon has the smallest fan base but jordan has to go because he's a threat to "muh favorite". I was shocked to find out the plan was to replace the John though. crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Nah, it's headhunting for Hal.

He sells over 100,000 copies everytime he has a first issue....other Green Lanterns will be lucky to get over 60,000....yet he's leading in this poll???

Hell, John Stewart was selling less than 30,000 after issue 3!!! Makes you wonder how bad sales would be for other GL's.
    Frankly, all I'm getting out of this thread is how insecure Hal fans are (despite him almost certainly being the only character who will always be around and, apparently, sells the best).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Frankly, all I'm getting out of this thread is how insecure Hal fans are (despite him almost certainly being the only character who will always be around and, apparently, sells the best).
    Well, to be fair - and I'm saying this as someone who very much hates the character - Hal Jordan fans have to put up with a lot of shit.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

All I'm getting out of this thread is how divisive the Green Lantern fanbase is and why it's Fudged.

I like Hal sure, but....

If you put Kyle Rayner on the cover of issue number 1, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
    If you put Guy Gardner on the cover, sold!!!
    John Stewart I own most of Mosaic....I wasn't so hot on Thorne, but I liked the last issue, so I'm going to give it another go. But guess what! I dropped Hal to because I didn't like Morrison's writing!
    Simon Baz, Yes I like his backstory
    Jessica Cruz, to be honest probably not and don't get me started on Jo Jo 5g.

I however am the minority, I've read and conversed with countless GL fans that say they won't support Hal because he isn't their favourite GL....so, what are his fans supposed to think?

You go with the one who sells the most because then you get more GL titles and everyone is happy.

This coming from someone who loves Hal--

The argument that they should just keep going with the gl who sells the most is so tiring, because it doesn't matter who you use, if you write a good enough story, it will sell. Maybe the initial sales will suck, but you'll build a rep and a fanbase. From there the sales can go up. Someone like Jessica Cruz or Kyle Rayner with the right writer and artist can definitely climb the ranks. Gosh, this thread just keeps repeating the same tired arguments over and over again, and sure it makes sense but gosh dang who are you trying to convince so hard that you keep repeating it over and over again

If they can't sustain multiple titles at a time the best choice would be to rotate the characters every few years and put them on different teams.

We also need some GL Black Label titles.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, to be fair - and I'm saying this as someone who very much hates the character - Hal Jordan fans have to put up with a lot of shit.
    The biggest issue for Hal is how he is USED in certain stories.
    Usage and quality of story is pretty much all they have to worry about.

If Duke Thomas kicking Hal is the WORST thing... a LOT of fans would take that then what they are getting.

For so-called chump thing done to Hal there is 60+ years of stuff that counters it.

With everybody else there is always a pushback. Even if Jo was to have every single issue of Far Sector average 100K-it will be belittled and deemed not good enough with some claiming Obama bought all those books.

All we heard was kudos to DC for tossing out books for characters who did cameos or guest spots on the CW or DC cartoons. With this will help their profiles. Yet when it suggested for John Stewart-it doesn't matter and all the usual excuses gets tossed out.

It's like NOTHING is good enough when it comes to MAINLY Jo, John, Jessica and Simon.

What do Hal fans have to worry about??? They can scream sells all they like.

Guess what Peter Parker, Venom & Miles sell too.
    Batman, Harley, Nightwing, Red Hood, Azrael, Birds of Prey, Batgirl, Robin and others have sold too.
    Superman, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Superboy and others sold too.
    Flash once boasted 2 books at once.

Fun what happens when you don't Highlander a franchise to be about one person.

SO we can take it for what it's worth until until Discovery wants a franchise lead by a POC. GEE wonder who they are going to look at???