View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Thought that was Kyle's thing and one of Hal's traits was that he overused the boxing glove construct?
    Making big manga robots isn't "using the ring in unconventional ways." It was just that artists were drawing constructs with more detail. Kyle never had to think his way out of a situation dealing with the ring's weakness to yellow. For all Kyle creativity, Hal was always thinking his way out of/ around situations with the ring to overcome yellow obstacles. (i.e. super-heating the air around him to bust out of an air-tight yellow prison, super-cooling water from a lake to turn it into ice projectiles to launch at .... something yellow - I forget the details, but you know what I mean...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Making big manga robots isn't "using the ring in unconventional ways." It was just that artists were drawing constructs with more detail. Kyle never had to think his way out of a situation dealing with the ring's weakness to yellow. For all Kyle creativity, Hal was always thinking his way out of/ around situations with the ring to overcome yellow obstacles. (i.e. super-heating the air around him to bust out of an air-tight yellow prison, super-cooling water from a lake to turn it into ice projectiles to launch at .... something yellow - I forget the details, but you know what I mean...)
    Thank you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Why is it hard? On this thread alone I counted five examples of you accusing the hypothetical "Most Wally fans" of behaving a certain way. I counted zero examples of Wally fans acting said way, and I know who the Wally fans on this thread are.

It's difficult to go through years of old social media posts in comic groups on Facebook or reddit, as I explained. I generally avoid most of the Wally threads on this page, but I certainly remember it happening in the past. If you've never noticed it, good for you, I guess. If you don't do it yourself, great.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It's difficult to go through years of old social media posts in comic groups, as I explained. I generally avoid most of the Wally threads on this page, but I certainly remember it happening in the past. If you've never noticed it, good for you, I guess. If you don't do it yourself, great.
    Oh no, I noticed it before, from a very small minority of posters. I've done it once or twice if I was on a bad day and someone was trying really hard to get on my nerves, even. Still, you're saying, repeatedly, that this is the stance that "most Wally fans" take, all the time. I don't see it on this thread. I haven't seen it in a long time here in the boards.

I can find, easily and fast, quite a few examples of people doing what you're doing, though.

Wally, John Stewart, and (as much as I hate the character, it's true) Hal Jordan are frequently generalized into a straw man here. You're complaining about some vague sort of Barry bashing, please demonstrate. Or stop generalizing the single most mistreated and trolled (yet loyal!) fanbase DC has ever had, please. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I'm starting to worry about the toxicity that legacy heroes (or returns of original heroes) are having on the fanbase, particularly in sales.

Hal Jordan has been one of DC's best selling heroes, (though I'd argue his popularity is on the wane), and yes that might be a result off being left off the Justice League, but...
    I've met so many other GL fans saying they would never support Hal, because they want their GL on the title

The same goes for the Flash (Wally/Barry), and I've actually met Wallace & Impulse fans who actually think they should be running the Flash title. (reality check needed)

Now it looks like DC has been making moves to try to replace Arthur as Aquaman with Jackson...are we going to end up with a divided toxic fanbase there as well???

Whither DC

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    (though I'd argue his popularity is on the wane)
    Jordan had his ups and downs over the decades, as with anyone else. HE's not been a sales Juggernaut even before Johns left, and there are no accurate DC sales numbers we can access anymore, for a while, so it's a moot point. Comics sales may not be the only or even major factor behind these properties management at this point anyway.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Jordan had his ups and downs over the decades, as with anyone else. HE's not been a sales Juggernaut even before Johns left, and there are no accurate DC sales numbers we can access anymore, for a while, so it's a moot point. Comics sales may not be the only or even major factor behind these properties management at this point anyway.
    While it's true that comic sales pale in comparison to the profits to be made from licensing these characters out for movies and tv, I think it's still important for the comic industry itself to thrive.

As for Hal, like him/ hate him, he was a sales juggernaut from 2005-2012, and is still the only GL that can put up six figure $$$ signs on fist issues and special events.....but what does that matter if a large portion of the GL fanbase won't support him, or vice versa, for John, or Kyle, Jessica, Guy or take your GL pick

Same goes for the Flash, how many young and old Barry fans are sitting on their hands right now and not picking up the Flash because its Wally, and when it switches back to him or even Wallace, how many Flash fans are going to say....I'll pass.

Just doesn't seem good for business, and I've noticed it makes for a toxic fanbase because everyone wants their favourite hero and feels threatened by the legacy, or the return of the original hero waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    As for Hal, like him/ hate him, he was a sales juggernaut from 2005-2012
    The whole GL franchise was big back then. The GL corps book when Kyle and Guy were doing their cops duo was freaking awesome.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So G'nort isn't an option? Come on...
    My thought exactly! But it did say *human* Green Lantern, so I guess he'd be out of the running.

As much as I loved Far Sector, I'm not sure I want anyone other than NK Jemison to write Sojourner Mullein, so I wouldn't mind if she got retired to remain in the Far Sector / City Eternal (Undying?) or whatever.

Guy exploring his Vudarian heritage, and leaving the Lantern life behind could also be an interesting way of 'retiring' him as a Lantern, without killing him off as a character. Assuming Vudarians (or maybe just Guy?) can turn both their hands *and their feet* into energy-projectors, he could even fly on rockets that he creates at the bottom of his legs, giving him more than just shooty-hands. Sort of a dude-Starfire, without the purple metal bikini and big bonfire 'do.

BANNED

Oh no, I noticed it before, from a very small minority of posters. I've done it once or twice if I was on a bad day and someone was trying really hard to get on my nerves, even. Still, you're saying, repeatedly, that this is the stance that "most Wally fans" take, all the time. I don't see it on this thread. I haven't seen it in a long time here in the boards.

I can find, easily and fast, quite a few examples of people doing what you're doing, though.

Wally, John Stewart, and (as much as I hate the character, it's true) Hal Jordan are frequently generalized into a straw man here. You're complaining about some vague sort of Barry bashing, please demonstrate. Or stop generalizing the single most mistreated and trolled (yet loyal!) fanbase DC has ever had, please. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well, you were pretty defensive there, so I was just waiting for you to admit you were one of them. And luckily, I wasn't talking to you.

Well, you were pretty defensive there, so I was just waiting for you to admit you were one of them. And luckily, I wasn't talking to you.
    He, nice try. My position was clear and explicit from my very first post.

BANNED

He, nice try. My position was clear and explicit from my very first post.
    If you say so. Since you're one of the exact kinds of fans I'm talking about and since every post you've made in response is combative, I'm not really interested in indulging whatever this is. Take it somewhere else.

If you say so. Since you're one of the exact kinds of fans I'm talking about and since every post you've made in response is combative, I'm not really interested in indulging whatever this is. Take it somewhere else.
    Oh, I'm just someone who entered a Green Lantern thread to see "Wally fans" bashed five times in a row, with no provocation at all and despite unanimously polite responses.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 05-10-2022 at 03:41 PM.

BANNED

Oh, I just someone who entered on a Green Lantern thread to see "Wally fans" bashed give times in a row, with no provocation at all and despite unanimously polite responses.
    You're offended that I said Wally fans act the way you admit to acting? Okay, man.

Also, I'm a fan of the character, too, so give it a rest with the #notallwallyfans stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    The whole GL franchise was big back then. The GL corps book when Kyle and Guy were doing their cops duo was freaking awesome.
    Yes but generally speaking the Green Lantern Corps books sales followed the trend line of the main book. If sales were high in Green Lantern they were high in the corps, likewise if they were down, Corps was down.

Your right though, it was freaking awesome!