View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    This coming from someone who loves Hal--

The argument that they should just keep going with the gl who sells the most is so tiring, because it doesn't matter who you use, if you write a good enough story, it will sell. Maybe the initial sales will suck, but you'll build a rep and a fanbase. From there the sales can go up. Someone like Jessica Cruz or Kyle Rayner with the right writer and artist can definitely climb the ranks. Gosh, this thread just keeps repeating the same tired arguments over and over again, and sure it makes sense but gosh dang who are you trying to convince so hard that you keep repeating it over and over again
    Loves Hal? Did you just read what I wrote?

We all think our favourites will sell....unfortunately that's just not the way it is.

I love Arsenal, and in my brain I think he should be able to sell as well as Nightwing, but it's just not so. Dick sells Roy doesn't.....there is nothing I can do about it. (That's the way it is for most of my heroes)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    This coming from someone who loves Hal--

The argument that they should just keep going with the gl who sells the most is so tiring, because it doesn't matter who you use, if you write a good enough story, it will sell. Maybe the initial sales will suck, but you'll build a rep and a fanbase. From there the sales can go up. Someone like Jessica Cruz or Kyle Rayner with the right writer and artist can definitely climb the ranks. Gosh, this thread just keeps repeating the same tired arguments over and over again, and sure it makes sense but gosh dang who are you trying to convince so hard that you keep repeating it over and over again
    Simon and Jessica's run did that. In floppies and as trades (in fact still doing it as a trade).

GLC to a certain point did that.

The issues that keep happening is there is no follow up for those guys.

What did Simon do after that book ended?

DC does that with most of it's heroes.

If your not Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman your an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Simon and Jessica's run did that. In floppies and as trades (in fact still doing it as a trade).

GLC to a certain point did that.

The issues that keep happening is there is no follow up for those guys.

What did Simon do after that book ended?
    Justice league odyssey basically became jessica's solo book when abnett joined. When that ended was she ditched in favour of jo

But even then, Ryan Cady and Sami Basri knocked it out of the park with the short backup story she was left with in fiture state. Only when this infinite battier started, when almost all non bat characters have been neglected, has she suffered a draught in content.
    Last edited by Thephantasm; 05-13-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Frankly, all I'm getting out of this thread is how insecure Hal fans are (despite him almost certainly being the only character who will always be around and, apparently, sells the best).
    And I thought the go-to tactic of people crapping on this character and then ridiculing his fans by calling them insecure or accusing them of overreacting got old a long time ago.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-14-2022 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, to be fair - and I'm saying this as someone who very much hates the character - Hal Jordan fans have to put up with a lot of ****.
    Haven't seen that much of it, to be honest. Most complaints I've seen have been along the lines of "equal time for non-Hal Lanterns," not "Hal is the root of all franchise problems and must be erased forever for the good of the franchise," if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    All I'm getting out of this thread is how divisive the Green Lantern fanbase is and why it's Fudged.

I like Hal sure, but....

If you put Kyle Rayner on the cover of issue number 1, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
    If you put Guy Gardner on the cover, sold!!!
    John Stewart I own most of Mosaic....I wasn't so hot on Thorne, but I liked the last issue, so I'm going to give it another go. But guess what! I dropped Hal to because I didn't like Morrison's writing!
    Simon Baz, Yes I like his backstory
    Jessica Cruz, to be honest probably not and don't get me started on Jo Jo 5g.

I however am the minority, I've read and conversed with countless GL fans that say they won't support Hal because he isn't their favourite GL....so, what are his fans supposed to think?

You go with the one who sells the most because then you get more GL titles and everyone is happy.
    How is not buying stuff about characters you're not interested in putting down fans of that character?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And I thought the go-to tactic of people crapping on this character and then ridiculing his fans by calling them insecure or accusing them of overreacting got old a long time ago.
    Just calling it as I see it, no more, no less.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Haven't seen that much of it, to be honest. Most complaints I've seen have been along the lines of "equal time for non-Hal Lanterns," not "Hal is the root of all franchise problems and must be erased forever for the good of the franchise," if that makes any sense.

How is not buying stuff about characters you're not interested in putting down fans of that character?

As someone who isn't a Hal fan, I can say that non-Hal fans can be very obnoxious and insufferable. Just like any fandom.

Same here.

Never said it was.

But I'll happily support other Green Lanterns other than Hal Jordan if they are leading the title.

but people who don't like Hal Jordan because they are frustrated their favourite GL isn't in the spotlight will not. Not hard to read into what that means.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He didn't seem to lack any rough edges in Red Lanterns or Tom King's Human Target.
    Can't speak on Human Target but even in Red Lanterns (at least under Charles Soule) he was more like Guy after Peter Tomasi. He wasn't going around doing things like wrecking parts of Time Square or beating up superheroes.

Ultimate Member

Because you got folks who think you can ONLY be interested in a franchise if it's the so-called icons or entitled characters that don't have to worry about the barriers OTHERS have to deal with.

Example-I own over 200 Archie books. Some will ASSUME that is due to Archie or Jughead or Betty or Veronica.
    No. It was because of Chuck Clayton. Collecting his first appearance, solo OGN and other appearances lead to buying Chip Z's Jughead run.
    Cap America. Falcon and I have gone back and collected a ton of CA books including the US Agent run as Cap.
    Tim Drake & Duke Thomas are probably the ONLY reason I have Batman books. Outside of 25 cent bins.

The point?

Maybe to get new readers you try someone different. Because sometimes they can open doors for others.

There are aggressors on both sides. There are some rather, let’s say “animated” Hal Jordan fans who get extremely upset at DC putting any spotlight on any other Lantern and try to act as though it’s a conspiracy to erase Hal. I recall people getting upset over extremely minor stuff like John being the Justice League’s GL in the Harley Quinn animated series or the Teen Titans Go movie. It does come off as more than a little insecure when, to date, Hal’s had his own big budget live-action movie, an animated movie and a TV show, plus guest or supporting roles in a ton of other cartoons and games. There are characters you can accuse DC of not properly showcasing, but DC clearly gave Hal a fair shake.

That said, there are some rather obnoxious fans of other Lanterns who seem to take pleasure in the perceived misfortune (whether legit or imagined) of Hal fans, which is extremely petty. At the end of the day, he’s a fictional character, so it’s not his fault if he sometimes gets pushed at the expense of the others. Toxic discourse isn’t gonna solve anything or convince anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As someone who isn't a Hal fan, I can say that non-Hal fans can be very obnoxious and insufferable. Just like any fandom.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Same here.
    I see.

Never said it was.

But I'll happily support other Green Lanterns other than Hal Jordan if they are leading the title.

but people who don't like Hal Jordan because they are frustrated their favourite GL isn't in the spotlight will not. Not hard to read into what that means.
    Sounds a little black and white.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Sounds a little black and white.
    It's just been my general experience, when I read more of Hal isn't my first choice but I'm still reading GL, I'll change my opinion.

I'll support most GL's, I'm just not interested in Jessica Cruz because she became popular during a period when I quite comics, so when I came back, I was like....man another Green Lantern, do we really need that?

It's just been my general experience, when I read more of Hal isn't my first choice but I'm still reading GL, I'll change my opinion.
    I tend to latch onto specific characters more so than franchises as a whole.

I'll support most GL's, I'm just not interested in Jessica Cruz because she became popular during a period when I quite comics, so when I came back, I was like....man another Green Lantern, do we really need that?
    Jessica was actually the character that got me reading anything in the franchise in the first place, so she's my favorite. Also like Simon a lot since he was the co-star and they had a nice friendship.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)