View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Dear person who voted for Jo Mullen:
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Teen Lantern's already been retired, so I didn't vote for her (also, not a Green Lantern ... she's GL adjacent at best) John isn't a GL anymore either, but if the poll's just about characters within the GL franchise, I guess he still qualifies.

“Teen Lantern” definitely needs to go away and Jo should have stayed as a future tale/out of continuity GL. Give Guy a Red or Yellow ring.

The only active earth Lanterns should be Hal, John, and Jessica Cruz.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Hal Jordan has had enough story as Green Lantern that his death would be the most acceptable to me.

Keli is just a kid and I wouldn't want her killed off but she'd be my second choice to retire. If she had to die for narrative sake then yeah, I'd pull that trigger.

Simon Baz getting mentored by Kyle Raynor would be a blast of a book for me. Especially since Kyle and Simon were both White Lanterns or wielded multiple spectrums at the same time. I feel they have a niche that needs to be explored.

John Stewart is on a trajectory I'd like to see continue. Guy Gardner should become a Red Lantern again. Jessica Cruz and Jo Mullein have a lot of story potential.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

How did we get to 9 human Green Lanterns? things were crowded enough when we had Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and Alan.

Simple. You headline the one that sells the most product..... because than the franchise becomes popular enough that the other GL's get side series (GL Corps/Green Lanterns) and everyone is slightly happy.

You kill off the one/or ones that sell the least amount of product. Jo Mullen.

Who your favourite is....Guy, John, Jessica is immaterial, the only thing that matters with Green Lantern is the green dollars they can make for DC.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I voted for Simon.

Simply as I've never taken a shine to the character.

But really, I wouldn't bat an eye if this lot were put away for a while either.
    Jessica Cruz (out of the 4, probably the one I like most)
    Sojourner Muller
    Keli Quintela
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    How did we get to 9 human Green Lanterns? things were crowded enough when we had Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and Alan.
    Well, who was going to say "no" to Geoff Johns adding two more when the franchise was on the verge of becoming THE face of DC comics it was doing so well? And then who was going to say 'no' to Bendis when he wants to do his 'make a new legacy character' thing in the wake of Miles Morals blowing up in Spider-Verse? How they decided to make Jo I'm less sure. Mostly it seems 5g wanted as many all-new characters in legacy roles as possible even if fairly new characters were right there.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Well, who was going to say "no" to Geoff Johns adding two more when the franchise was on the verge of becoming THE face of DC comics it was doing so well? And then who was going to say 'no' to Bendis when he wants to do his 'make a new legacy character' thing in the wake of Miles Morals blowing up in Spider-Verse? How they decided to make Jo I'm less sure. Mostly it seems 5g wanted as many all-new characters in legacy roles as possible even if fairly new characters were right there.
    Jemisin likely agreed to do it in condition that she made her own character that wasn't necessarily restricted by continuity. Could be partially because of 5G as well but I think it was mostly for those reasons on Jemisin's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Simple. You headline the one that sells the most product..... because than the franchise becomes popular enough that the other GL's get side series (GL Corps/Green Lanterns) and everyone is slightly happy.

You kill off the one/or ones that sell the least amount of product. Jo Mullen.

Who your favourite is....Guy, John, Jessica is immaterial, the only thing that matters with Green Lantern is the green dollars they can make for DC.
    You know we're here speaking as fans - we don't work for DC's marketing and sales department as though the only valid opinions are the ones based on moving units.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    “Teen Lantern” definitely needs to go away and Jo should have stayed as a future tale/out of continuity GL. Give Guy a Red or Yellow ring.

The only active earth Lanterns should be Hal, John, and Jessica Cruz.
    Pretty much this. I’d definitely get rid of Simon. He just never appealed to me and clearly Jessica is the more popular of the two.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Def going with Kyle, Keli doesn't really count. She's in the same category as Alan or Jade, she's just GL adjacent.

I agree with others about keeping Jo as a future thing, Simon hasn't had enough done with him to actually retire.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Guess I shouldn't be surprised to see so many Hal votes even though he's been killed off or retired more than any of the rest. Wonder if they keep retiring him or killing him off really means all that much at this point. Even Morrison joked about it in their run when Hal dies and on the very next page you already see him back and looking similar to his Spectre days saying "Again?" If even the character himself doesn't take his deaths or retirements seriously, why would the reader.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-04-2022 at 04:22 AM.

So, how long before this thread becomes another bitch-fest?

Honestly, at this point I want DC to actually publish a story where all the earth Lanterns fight each other to the death where we end up with only 3 left standing. I wonder how that would sell. (should they also do an internet poll? I feel Hal would do well if the question was "who do you want to live" but not so well if it were "who do you want to die?" He's the easiest target for fans of all other GLs)

If it were down to three, I would chose Hal, John and Jessica.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, how long before this thread becomes another bitch-fest?

Honestly, at this point I want DC to actually publish a story where all the earth Lanterns fight each other to the death where we end up with only 3 left standing. I wonder how that would sell. (should they also do an internet poll? I feel Hal would do well if the question was "who do you want to live" but not so well if it were "who do you want to die?" He's the easiest target for fans of all other GLs)

If it were down to three, I would chose Hal, John and Jessica.
    Remember the first issue of Meltzer's JLA run where the Trinity can't decide which Lantern to put on the new JL roster and Diana suggests that maybe there should be a contest between Hal, John and Kyle. We can't say writers and fans don't think alike.