View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Could form a Suicide Squad entirely of GL’s?

I think we could rely on the Wall to get one or more of them killed.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Not sure how people can be anti-Hal and claim 'blandness'. Like my keyboard has more personality than every GL introduced after Kyle.
    "Cable was right!"

Keli is not a Green Lantern, so she shouldn’t be an option.
    Simon Baz for sure, he’s the least likeable of the actual GLs and his creation was full of unpleasant stereotypes.

Astonishing Member

Guy Gardner

He eats up too much screentime for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    What nationality is Jessica Cruz?
    She’s American, like all of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Not sure how people can be anti-Hal and claim 'blandness'. Like my keyboard has more personality than every GL introduced after Kyle.
    Well it's simple, Hal is the go-to guy seen as, for the lack of a better word, a "threat" to others. Taking him out has actual consequences to the future direction of the GL franchise as we've seen before, so naturally people would make the usual claims that they don't want him around because he is boring and overrated or that they only like him as a villain, since that's the most certain way he's not being prioritized over their favorites who get to beat him up. Getting rid of most of the other GLs is inconsequential since they don't pose a threat for anybody. There's a reason more than one person has mentioned Hal, John and Jessica as the only Lanterns they'd keep around. Getting rid of Hal has the most consequences so naturally he's the easiest choice to slander.

My apologies to people who were worried this thread would inevitably turn into another bitch-fest, but this needed to be pointed out.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-04-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Now, this really made me laugh. Can't say I disagree.

Peace

Fantastic Member

It was what the editorial threw out to justify making him into mass murder. That he was bland and no one ever liked him. Hence why the whole GL setup had to go. So it kind of just stuck. Never mind that what about him is supposed to be bland literally changed form letter page to letter page or that both Emerald Dawns had sold amazingly so clearly people didn't have an inherent issue with the character. But it is hard to shake off a decade of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Title speaks for itself.

I'm really curious about the results for this.

We all agree that the franchise bloated with too many human lanterns and some of them have to be benched for a while. So who would you choose?
    I am still puzzled by the creation of Jessica Simon, but Jess has grown on me. I just wonder why do that when there so many unused Lanterns like the Khund one from Gail 's WW run

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well it's simple, Hal is the go-to guy seen as, for the lack of a better word, a "threat" to others. Taking him out has actual consequences to the future direction of the GL franchise as we've seen before, so naturally people would make the usual claims that they don't want him around because he is boring and overrated or that they only like him as a villain, since that's the most certain way he's not being prioritized over their favorites who get to beat him up. Getting rid of most of the other GLs is inconsequential since they don't pose a threat for anybody.
    I can't speak for anyone else your description doesn't line up with my thought for his being on the shortlist for axeing. I don't see him as a threat at all and he was indeed bland and boring for much of his pre-Emerald Twilight existence. For me, he can go as we have seen we can do without him before. But there are two others just ahead of him on the short list at the moment. Still parsing which is the best choice

I haven't voted yet. But I'm surprised that Hal is getting the most votes so far, given that he has a lot of fans here.

I was expecting Simon Baz to get the most votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I haven't voted yet. But I'm surprised that Hal is getting the most votes so far, given that he has a lot of fans here.

I was expecting Simon Baz to get the most votes.
    Same. I voted Simon since I admittedly never really cared for him.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Fantastic Member

Hal also has a LOT of people who don't like him. He's deeply contentious. I spent most of the 90s and beyond in places were ANY mention of Hal got posts about how awful he was and how no one could possibly like him outside of blind nostalgia. I try not be assholes like people who do that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well it's simple, Hal is the go-to guy seen as, for the lack of a better word, a "threat" to others. Taking him out has actual consequences to the future direction of the GL franchise as we've seen before, so naturally people would make the usual claims that they don't want him around because he is boring and overrated or that they only like him as a villain, since that's the most certain way he's not being prioritized over their favorites who get to beat him up. Getting rid of most of the other GLs is inconsequential since they don't pose a threat for anybody. There's a reason more than one person has mentioned Hal, John and Jessica as the only Lanterns they'd keep around. Getting rid of Hal has the most consequences so naturally he's the easiest choice to slander.

My apologies to people who were worried this thread would inevitably turn into another bitch-fest, but this needed to be pointed out.
    Don't sweat it Johnny Boy, CBR represents a minuscule amount of the DC fanbase, Hal Jordan sells better than Clark Kent if you go back and crunch the numbers.

Truth is John Stewart (who I quite like) Jessica Cruz and Jo Mullen don't sell.

- Jessica put up some solid numbers but it is doubtful a female hero could carry the franchise
    - John Stewart - Green Lantern has apparently already fallen out of the top 100....(which is historically horrible numbers for GL. He's had lots of opportunity including replacing Hal in the JLA cartoon, but for whatever reason....he can't sell)
    - Jo Mullen - Worst selling GL of all time, don't even get me started on this mofo.

The only group you don't see headhunting for Hal, is Guy Gardner fans, because we don't have a woke crutch to help us along like the others, so we know DC won't pick him (not hard to figure out what that means.)

I can't say I'm surprised about Hal getting this many votes but I am surprised at how many votes Kyle is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I am still puzzled by the creation of Jessica Simon, but Jess has grown on me. I just wonder why do that when there so many unused Lanterns like the Khund one from Gail 's WW run
    Because once upon the GL franchise was strong enough to support multiple titles so naturally tried to branch.

It was also likely an excuse for DC to kill off John Stewart while arguing that there is no loss in diversity. Shortly after Jessica and Simon, the writer on one of the GL titles walked out because they didn't want to kill off John Stewart. It was a controversy, even the John Stewart's VA Phil Lamarr commented on it.

After it died down we got Far Sector and John was lead GL in Future State and post Infinite Frontier titles.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly