View Poll Results: Which One Would You Kill Off/Retire?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

36 26.87%
  • Guy Gardner

11 8.21%
  • John Stewart

9 6.72%
  • Kyle Rayner

20 14.93%
  • Simon Baz

32 23.88%
  • Jessica Cruz

3 2.24%
  • Sojourner Muller

9 6.72%
  • Keli Quintela

14 10.45%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Retire Keli and Jo. Kill off Simon Bazz.

I picked Simon. A bit of a boring, one-note character who doesn't have the qualities that bolster up most of the others, whether it's nostalgia, a significant presence in other media, interesting characterization, or just flat-out fun.

That said, I wouldn't mind all of them taking a bit of a break and giving the 2814 assignment to an alien GL, versus another Earthling.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    As a matter of my anti-Johns principles I’d want Hal, Simon and Jess completely off the board for at least a generation. Probably Alan and Jade too just because

As a practical matter I’d want rid of Hal (preferably by revealing the entire spectrum thing was Parralax screwing with everyone) and retire Simon and Kyle.

If I thought DC could ever commit to a direction that wasn’t edge I’d say retire Guy and have him reopen warriors as the centrepiece of a new DC initiative about the shared nature of the universe
    Lol. And this, people, is what it looks like to cut off your nose to spite your face. I mean, it might not be the best idea to kill off the most popular Green Lantern just because you have an axe to grind with a specific writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Lol. And this, people, is what it looks like to cut off your nose to spite your face. I mean, it might not be the best idea to kill off the most popular Green Lantern just because you have an axe to grind with a specific writer.
    Who suggested killing off John?

some Warner exec will see this thread and make a Green Lantern Civil War event in the next two years
    The J-man

You guys did see that John Stewart will be the star of DC's next feature animated film, right? Appearently, Hal buys the farm, and he is the chosen successor.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Nothing surprising or unexpected, and I don't blame people when they do that tbh. When your favorites weren't in the most famous GL run, aren't the ones the franchise revolves around, or you don't like their popularity, makes sense to have an axe to grind with the creators who made that happen. That's not to say the work of someone like Geoff Johns is beyond legit criticism of course. But it's what we do, if comic fans don't have an axe to grind, something's really wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    some Warner exec will see this thread and make a Green Lantern Civil War event in the next two years
    Might as well. Civil War made more bank than BvS.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-06-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Nobody did. Because John isn’t the most popular GL. And that’s not meant as an insult. It’s just a fact. John is not the Green Lantern who sells the most.

Ultimate Member

DC wanted to kill off John Stewart and have him be replaced by Jessica & Simon (Johns creations).

The writer slated to that refused and left DC.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    You guys did see that John Stewart will be the star of DC's next feature animated film, right? Appearently, Hal buys the farm, and he is the chosen successor.

Peace
    notably, the announcement is about when Hal went from third or second place in the poll to tieing or being in first place...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    DC wanted to kill off John Stewart and have him be replaced by Jessica & Simon (Johns creations).

The writer slated to that refused and left DC.
    Which project was this?

(Personally, I'd love to see Jessica and Simon get another crack at a series, but don't kill off other Lanterns to do it; since it's a Corps, you can just as easily say John or whoever is off doing things elsewhere until the time comes for them to be the star again.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Which project was this?

(Personally, I'd love to see Jessica and Simon get another crack at a series, but don't kill off other Lanterns to do it; since it's a Corps, you can just as easily say John or whoever is off doing things elsewhere until the time comes for them to be the star again.)
    Here you go, even CBR ran an article on it and Phil Lamarr also commented about it:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rece...green-lantern/

https://www.cbr.com/voice-of-john-st...-death-decree/

https://www.mtv.com/news/2628458/phi...lantern-death/

https://shadowandact.com/dc-comics-w...-green-lantern

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

oh wow I missed this entire situation
    The J-man

I don't think anyone did. But one thing that put Simon on the list for me was his carrying a gun as part of his GL getup. Like, what?

But honestly if they are doing a house cleaning why not stop this prismacolor approach to the Lanterns and restore the cosmic peacekeeping/patroling/adventuring forces that there were. "The cosmic scene is too big so let's kill off all these peace keeping forces that aren't Lanterns" only to say " Let's add a million more Lanterns but in every color. The that's the stuff". Ick

Thankfully that got binned.

Not only would you have alienated a fanbase who grew up watching John on the JLA unlimited cartoon, but you would have been killing off DC's first legitimate African American hero.....which would not have been a good look.

It looks like Thorne is taking Stewart towards option 3 (1.Kill, 2. Retire 3. Change powers)

Even though I've been up and down on Thorne as a writer, I am looking forward to Stewart's new title coming out, because I like the supernatural element that has been introduced now that's he's been endowed with powers by the source.

So I'm hoping that Alan Scott will show up, it would be cool if they could somehow tie Alan's ring to the powers that have been bestowed to John Stewart.