Default When Captain Atom joined Justice League Europe

I'm reading the early issues of JL Europe, and Maxwell Lord and Oberon are talking about how Captain Atom should never been put in charge in Europe because "he lied to us" or "was spying on us" just before JL Europe was formed. Lord goes on to say that "he didn't have a choice" or something.

Anyone know what they are referring to? I never read the late 80s Captain Atom series so I'm not sure if it was shown there.

Retired

I read both, two of my favourites reads at the time. It's a long time ago, however, and I can only guess. There was a cover story created for Captain Atom--which was supposed to be like his Charlton comics run. The truth came out that this was all one big lie fabricated by the military to cover up Nathaniel Adam's actual origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I read both, two of my favourites reads at the time. It's a long time ago, however, and I can only guess. There was a cover story created for Captain Atom--which was supposed to be like his Charlton comics run. The truth came out that this was all one big lie fabricated by the military to cover up Nathaniel Adam's actual origin story.
    Yeah that was basically it. Great series. Loved it and JLE.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm reading the early issues of JL Europe, and Maxwell Lord and Oberon are talking about how Captain Atom should never been put in charge in Europe because "he lied to us" or "was spying on us" just before JL Europe was formed. Lord goes on to say that "he didn't have a choice" or something.

Anyone know what they are referring to? I never read the late 80s Captain Atom series so I'm not sure if it was shown there.
    Captain Atom, or Nathanial Adam, was a convicted Air Force officer who was court martialed and sentenced to death during the Vietnam War (framed, of course). Without a way out, he volunteered to be guinea pig for a scientific experiment which was basically be strapped to a nuke in an egg made of alien metal. As a result, he was shot through time by way of the quantum field, emerging fused with the alien metal in the present (the late 80's, in this case). With his life completely turned upside-down, he wife dead, and his kids raised by the man who had him court-martialed, who married his wife after Nate was believed dead, Cap was forced to work for the U.S. Government, for the slim chance of being able to rebuild his life and clear his name. They came up with a cover-story to help sell him as a genuine all-American super-hero, and was soon pushed to join the newly reformed JLI, to spy on them for the U.S. Government, under the excuse of looking out for American interests, of course. (DC made a real push on the global politics theme after COIE, that I really liked). Noticing some inconsistencies in his story, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Mister Miracle got together to expose him, in the process actually finding out the truth and clearing his name (this all took place in Cap's own mag, not in the JLI's). Vindicated, Cap was still in the doghouse for lieing to his teammates, so, when the opportunity came to form an European branch, Lord, J'onn and Batman thought better to keep Cap away from the American branch, who still resented him, and ship him to Europe. However, being the veteran JLI member of the new team, it fell to him to lead the new bunch (Rocket "Dimitri" Red also transfered to the European branch to make it easier to transfer his family over from Russia, however, since he was the second Rocket Red to serve with the team, substituiting the previous one, who was a Manhunter, Cap had still served longer than him on the team). I think he turned out quite well. If you haven't read the 80's Captain Atom series, I totally recommend it, especially the first couple of years.

Peace

and was soon pushed to join the newly reformed JLI, to spy on them for the U.S. Government, under the excuse of looking out for American interests, of course. (DC made a real push on the global politics theme after COIE, that I really liked). Noticing some inconsistencies in his story, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Mister Miracle got together to expose him, in the process actually finding out the truth and clearing his name (this all took place in Cap's own mag, not in the JLI's).

Any idea what issues in Cap's series this takes place?

and was soon pushed to join the newly reformed JLI, to spy on them for the U.S. Government, under the excuse of looking out for American interests, of course. (DC made a real push on the global politics theme after COIE, that I really liked). Noticing some inconsistencies in his story, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Mister Miracle got together to expose him, in the process actually finding out the truth and clearing his name (this all took place in Cap's own mag, not in the JLI's).

Any idea what issues in Cap's series this takes place?
    It climaxes with Captain Atom 26-28, but it's seeded along the series.

Peace

perfect thank you! Knew I came to the right place.

perfect thank you! Knew I came to the right place.
    No prob. You're more than welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

Peace