Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Star Wars: Obi-Wan comic

Written by Chris Cantwell
    Art by Ario Anindito

With Obi-Wan Kenobi getting a new show on Disney+ later this month the powers that be at Marvel Comics have decided to produce a new comic series to go along with it. This new mini-series by Cantwell sets out to explore not only some of Obi-Wan’s time on Tatooine from a reflective frame narrative but also probes deeper into Obi-Wan’s past. While the main story seems to be focused on the young Kenobi, I really do think my favorite parts were the recollections of the aged Jedi Master biding his time in exile on Tatooine. Cantwell just really nailed the voice of the hermit like Jedi Master we first met in the original film, so much so that reading this issue I swear I could almost hear Alec Guinness' voice in my head. That isn't to say the action in the main part of the narrative wasn't good, I really enjoyed seeing Obi Wan as a youngling even if he was a little more head strong and brash than I'm used to seeing Obi-Wan but that's no big issue as age is often a strong teacher in that regard. All and all this is a great time to be a fan of Obi-Wan and I'm looking forward to both the new show as well as further issues of this book.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-04-2022 at 01:36 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Looking forward to reading it .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looking forward to reading it .
    Definitely worth the read, this an the new Han and Chewbacca mini they debuted last month I think have been the best star wars books put out in a while.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

We got a coming of age/first love kind of story in the first issue which worked well enough and the set up here for a horror story was promising as its not something we get often in Star Wars but it ultimately fell a little short. I really liked using the Shistavanen (the wolfman from the Cantina's species) as a werewolf but Cantwell didn't play into it enough, there wasn't that tension of being hunted and of fearing the dark that makes that kind of story work and with out that kind of atmosphere the story goes a little flat. Still and all it's a fun concept for a book and I'm excited to see Cantwell do a war story in the next issue when we jump forward once again.

Is this new material or is it a reprint of the "Obi-Wan journal interludes" in the previous Star Wars comics?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is this new material or is it a reprint of the "Obi-Wan journal interludes" in the previous Star Wars comics?
    It's an all new mini-series, although I do think they recently released a trade reprinting the stories from Arron's run as well.