Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

This week's DC's Saved By The Belle Reve anthology features a Azrael story by Watters and Juan Ferreyra.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    This week's DC's Saved By The Belle Reve anthology features a Azrael story by Watters and Juan Ferreyra.
    Part of me wishes it had a little tag saying "check out Azrael's further adventures in Sword of Azrael!" But it's pretty cool that Watters is working hard to give Jean Paul lots of stories right now!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It's nice to know someone's got Jean-Paul's back in one form or another at DC .

Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael #2 Preview
    Writer: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Čižmešija

Oh yeah, I guess this is an obvious match-up because of Azrael's history with Bane.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, I guess this is an obvious match-up because of Azrael's history with Bane.
    Also, Vengeance's backstory is extremely similar to Azrael's - brainwashed, rebelling against their creators, extremely violent.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm glad we're seeing poor fellow again, I thought the set up with her in Urban Legends was good but it seemed like this took place before those events in the last issue so it was good to see that clarified here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oooooh this was great, man poor JPV is a demented fellow. This is a very trippy comic considering everyone is out of their bleeding minds.

Only JPV has any grasp at self-awareness that he's not an angel on a crusade and even then the System still has him butchering people left and right.

Hopefully he can prevent Sariel from being weaponized like he was.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Oooooh this was great, man poor JPV is a demented fellow. This is a very trippy comic considering everyone is out of their bleeding minds.

Only JPV has any grasp at self-awareness that he's not an angel on a crusade and even then the System still has him butchering people left and right.

Hopefully he can prevent Sariel from being weaponized like he was.
    Yeah, it's setting up some really interesting drama. I'm really excited to see where this goes.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Really enjoyed this issue, still not keen on the art though, but it's growing on me.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm glad we're seeing poor fellow again, I thought the set up with her in Urban Legends was good but it seemed like this took place before those events in the last issue so it was good to see that clarified here.
    There was subtle confirmation in the first issue, but they didn't explicitly spell it out. During the recap of Azrael's history, he mentioned hunting down Arkham escapees- a reference to Arkham City: The Order of the World. The Urban Legends issues had an editor's note confirming the Urban Legends story took place prior to Arkham City: The Order of the World.

I'm really digging this story so far, and I'm hoping Watters has the opportunity to continue it whether in a second miniseries or an ongoing. Between UL, Arkham City, Saved by the Belle Reve, and this, he's certainly been doing a good job of building up Azrael and his world again. It's also really fun to see him bring in characters like Vengeance- and Father Valley, as solicits indicate- that make sense for Azrael and his story.

If they even gave him another ongoing, I'd love to see Watters work in Michael Washington Lane for an arc, since we haven't seen him since pre-New 52.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Finally got around to read this - thought it was the highlight of the anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    and Father Valley, as solicits indicate-
    Missed that in the solicits - if I recall correctly Watters and Ram V are studio mates so I assume Watters will be leaning pretty heavily into the stuff V did was Father Valley and Jean Paul's dad in the Catwoman annual.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Another fantastic issue!

Loving the quest for identity, self and religion as viewed through JP's attempt to find that identity for another. His whole deal was a quest for self and that continues here.

Vengeance is a decent shout for an adversary if they explore the same themes for her. I feel that's unlikely with only 6 issues.

I'm also loving this book taking a lot of cues from Manga. Sadly, non-DC reading Manga fans are unlikely to find it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Ooooooh with the recent solicits we have a good look at Sariel's suit

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Who commissions that second one as an alternate cover? It's like jumping back 30 years. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!