Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Looking forward to the next issue. This has been one of the best books DC is putting out. Kinda sorry that we're approaching the finale. Hopefully it's selling well enough to justify a second mini, or better yet, a full ongoing. I wouldn't mind having Azreal on my regular pull list again, month in and month out.
    Same here, I loved the original Azrael series and this one has been even better so for so I'd definitely pull an on going.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I caught up to issue 5 and it'd a decent read. A bit confusing if you haven't read Azrael before. The art style is anime inspired and its a little jarring at first but it does grow on you. Father Valley's appearance would probably make more of an impact if I read his appearances in Ram V's Catwoman but it was fine. I'm curious how it wraps up next issue.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-06-2022 at 05:44 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Penance.jpg

Just to be clear, this is basically Penance (f.k.a. Speedball) from Marvel's Civil War but done with such a clear acknowledgement of it's ridiculousness that I laughed out loud.

Bottom line, don't try to do this **** seriously. But if you absolutely must, don't do it to a beloved lighthearted kid superhero.

Dumas-dammit, I love this comic so much.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Oh I love how over the top it all is. It's like a Rob Zombie movie; utterly silly and impossible to take seriously, but still creepy and weird.

Been a wild ride that has utterly entertained me, and I've especially enjoyed the discussions about the radicalization and zealousness of faith and how that can be used to justify the most awful of atrocities. I don't know if this book has been flying under everyone's radar or not, no idea what sales look like, but hot damn did DC do a great job here.

DC, if you're reading this, you gotta keep this book and creative team going!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael #6 Preview
    Writer: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Cizmesija

spoilers:
    I thought it was a decent end. Vengeance gets a new direction as an uneasy ally to Jean Paul in the future. Same with Father Valley.
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    spoilers:
    I thought it was a decent end. Vengeance gets a new direction as an uneasy ally to Jean Paul in the future. Same with Father Valley.
    end of spoilers.
    See, I thought it was more than just decent...I loved that ending. It was such a great transition for Azrael and JPV and that it gave him a possible supporting cast moving forward was great. I really hope we see more Azrael.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    See, I thought it was more than just decent...I loved that ending. It was such a great transition for Azrael and JPV and that it gave him a possible supporting cast moving forward was great. I really hope we see more Azrael.
    Enjoyed it quite a bit even with disliking the art. I'm not sure why they always try to stick Azrael with a sword when he has them BUILT IN to his gauntlets, but whatever. I think there may be something to having Vengeance as a support character for Jean Paul.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Enjoyed it quite a bit even with disliking the art. I'm not sure why they always try to stick Azrael with a sword when he has them BUILT IN to his gauntlets, but whatever. I think there may be something to having Vengeance as a support character for Jean Paul.
    Yeah, the way that they are both weapons but looking for a new path together is an interesting journey that I really hope we get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    My interest waned in between issues but a reread would change that. The artstyle takes some getting used to. I'm more into Watters over Azrael but I'm curious where he goes next.

I loved the Arkham spinoff he did so I'm hoping there's a crossover between Azrael and them.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Well JPV did it. He managed to find peace with the Azrael personality and seek a new path as a fallen angel and stopped Poor Folk's plan from creating more super assassin's, and he even managed to help put Vengeance and Father Valley on the path to redemption.

Shame what happened to Sariel though. She's still alive though considering the procedure she was subjected to, its arguable whether it be better if she had died.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    My interest waned in between issues but a reread would change that. The artstyle takes some getting used to. I'm more into Watters over Azrael but I'm curious where he goes next.

I loved the Arkham spinoff he did so I'm hoping there's a crossover between Azrael and them.
    Yeah, it took me a bit to get used to the art but by the end I actually liked it.

Extraordinary Member

Thought it was a strong ending to a strong miniseries - really hoping Watters gets a bigger book at DC coming out of this.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Sword of Azrael #6 Preview
    Writer: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Cizmesija

This series is way better than it had any right to be - I really hope that Watters (and the artist) get another crack at Jean Paul and all of these characters. It was truly fantastic - an examination of faith, fanaticism, alien tech, theology, cults, and morality that really feels like a meditation on the DC Universe, superheros, and O'Neil's deep take on the character all at once.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Late to the party here, but finally caught up and got the TPB on pre-order.

Doesn't look like there are any immediate plans for Azrael, but I'm grateful we got a solid mini-run that advanced the character than he's advanced in decades and tied him to the larger DC universe instead of just the Bat-family drama.

They left the story open enough that he can pop up anytime and shake things up. That's pretty exciting.