Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Sword of Azrael by Dan Watters and Nikola Čižmešija

The August-debuting Sword of Azrael #1 is written by Dan Watters and illustrated by Nikola Čižmešija. If that creative team sounds familiar, it should - Watters and Čižmešija paired on the 'Sword of Azrael: Dark Knight of the Soul' three-part serialized story from Batman: Urban Legends #8-10 that leads into the new Sword of Azrael six-part series.

And despite picking up the sword again, Jean-Paul is doing so reluctantly. But hey, this is comic books. Retirement, like death, is usually only a temporary gig.

"The warrior angel of St. Dumas returns!" reads DC's description of the new series. "Jean-Paul Valley does not want to be Azrael ever again. All it has brought him is pain, violence, and misery. He has sequestered himself away at a monastery in Europe to find peace. But when a young woman who claims to have the same System programming that made Jean-Paul into Azrael arrives at the monastery, he won't have a choice but to don his violent mantle of Azrael once more to protect her from the deadly assassins who wish her harm."
    And in case any Azrael fans missed the Batman: Urban Legends serialized story, DC is collecting it in the 40-page one-shot Sword of Azrael: Dark Knight of the Soul #1 also by Watters and Čižmešija with a cover by Čižmešija and a variant cover by Juni Ba.
    Last edited by Hypo; 05-06-2022 at 07:07 AM.

I'm glad to see Jean-Paul headlining a book .

Sucks for his mental state though .

Dan Watters wrote Arkham Order. I'm wondering if this series would follow-up on that one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm glad to see Jean-Paul headlining a book .

Sucks for his mental state though .
    DC: "We have Chasm at home"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    DC: "We have Chasm at home"
    Original flavor Chasm! And better .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I love Azrael and Arkham City: The Order of the World is one of my favourite Batman books of the last several years so this is a definite buy for me.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael: Dark Knight of the Soul #1
    Writer: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Čižmešija

Sword of Azrael #1 Preview
    Writer: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Čižmešija

The art is more stylized and colorful than I would have expected. But hey, Jean-Paul .

"Bullet-Tooth" - Someone decided they'd rather be a Super-Criminal than get good dental work...

I read both today. One does lean into the other but they do exist seperate stories. "Dark knight of the soul" would have worked better as an issue 0 released before the first issue rather than on the same day.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read both today. One does lean into the other but they do exist seperate stories. "Dark knight of the soul" would have worked better as an issue 0 released before the first issue rather than on the same day.
    The release plan is perplexingly dumb.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Dan Watters wrote Arkham Order. I'm wondering if this series would follow-up on that one.
    Arkham order does get a mention and an explanation on Jean Paul's behavior is given.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Stylized art aside I really enjoyed this. I loved how it gave a pretty in-depth look at Jean-Paul's history and that it was pretty much on point to who he was pre-flashpoint.
    The Moon Knight style argument with the "system" was also pretty fun and I'm interested to see where the story goes with the daughter of Bane.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Isn't Dark Knight of the Soul just a reprint of Azrael stories that were already published in Urban Legends #8-10?
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Isn't Dark Knight of the Soul just a reprint of Azrael stories that were already published in Urban Legends.
    Yeah, that's where it was originally and it seems it was set after this story though it's hard to say. Still, I think the collected version should have come out last week to build excitement for the mini.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Just read it and the Dark Knight of the Soul one-shot. Yeah they really should have released the latter before issue 1 of the newest one.

Good stuff, good stuff, though I'm already seeing people having meltdowns over the existence of a female foil to Azrael which is both hilarious and infuriating at the same time.

Either way dope to have an Azrael series. Still need to finish reading Knightfall.