Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Just finished BOTH Azrael books this week. I can't believe I'm saying that!!! So happy!

I've always been a fan of Azrael as a character and I'm so glad his popularity sustained a run after the Knights-Saga (though I believe it needed a new/co-writer after the Bane arc) or he could have been quickly relegated to villain status or just forgotten.

While I liked the offshoot version of the Order of St Dumas, it makes sense for Jean-Paul to be straight Christian in this run as it allows a more direct and interesting exploration of the absolute fucking mess of insanity that is Christianity represents in today's U.S. I'm hoping things really venture into the political. Bring back Nick Scratch as a direct Trump parallel, and just have his followers outright reject/gaslight themselves the very obvious anti-Christian ("Satanic") values and persona, with his make up, business practices, etc. If you want, LeHah would make an excellent Libertarian candidate as an ineffectual but dangerous moron. Just fully dive into the absolute craziness of the modern U.S.A. and the terrifying, backwards direction it is heading with increasing rapidity.

***To note, before anyone thinks I'm just being anti-U.S., I am from the UK. Our only achievement of the last 20 odd years are that we're following a step behind the U.S. in all the worst ways and at least the U.S. isn't stupid/insane enough to cut their longstanding political and economic ties with their closest allies and majority trading partners. The mental political right masquerading as "good old Christian values" is in full force here, too. Azrael is a great character to challenge that. As are Captain America and Red Skull***
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    While I understand where you're coming from, as someone from the other side of the aisle, I personally hope (and think, based on the way Watters has been writing), that this series will focus on both the positives and negatives of Jean Paul's relationship to God and to his faith. I found the ending of the Urban Legends story (collected in the one-shot) very moving, because it really connects to my own relationship with God, others, mystery, suffering, and faith. If it becomes a one-sided attack on anything, whether what you would prefer, or things I would find objectionable, I think it would become a narrow minded, narrow-audience book.
    I personally would want Jean-Paul to come face to face with how nationalism, xenophobia, racism, and right wing politics have polluted and poisoned Evangelical Christianity - largely because I’m a Christian who finds the “Evangelical” movement to have become something horrific and ungodly, and I NEED to see it get deconstructed from the spiritual side. I want to see Jean-Paul deal with people who blatantly ignore pretty much everything merciful and compassionate in favor of trying to play-act as Old Testament Israelites, who can’t separate their faith from their skin-tone and desire for capitalism, and would be the type to follow a blatant charlatan.

I could see Scratch back as a “Hollywood Satanism” type of character, but honestly, I’d find it even more hilarious if he were to portray himself as a “born-again” “reformed” guy, complete with spray tan and holding a Bible upside down, even if it was just for a single arc. While I’m a (religiously evangelical, but not political) Christian myself, I also don't see much use in replicating Hollywood’s misinterpretation of Satanism anymore than in replicating Temple of Doom’s idea of Hinduism.

About the only type of religious approach I don’t care for would be the Dan Brown-type of “religious horror” that Jeff Lemire used with Michael Lane’s Azrael run - more because my education as a Social Studies teacher rebels against poorly researched mythologizing of real world mainstream religions than out of my religion itself. None of this “the eighth deadly sin is faith!” nonsense when Spectre can be far more terrifying without such nonsense, and when the Holy Grail and other stuff can show how to use myth stuff better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it had something to do with Mother and the weird gimmick of that storyline. I honestly don't remember much about it to be honest.
    It was, in summary, basically just a summary of his old origin in a highly abbreviated manner - Mother sold a New 52 version of the Order of St. Dumas a pre-brainwashed and trained Jean Paul, who then got freed from the order in time for the TEC book.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It was, in summary, basically just a summary of his old origin in a highly abbreviated manner - Mother sold a New 52 version of the Order of St. Dumas a pre-brainwashed and trained Jean Paul, who then got freed from the order in time for the TEC book.
    Alright that makes sense. Looking it up Batman and Robin Eternal was made before DC Rebirth came out, meaning it was still technically in the New 52 era setting which largely jettisoned a lot of history in favor of new stuff. Said run also feature new or changed backstories for Cass Cain and Stephanie Brown.

Which wound up being a boon in Azrael's favor for the long run, as while Eternal most likely wiped his prior history as Batman, Rebirth's arrival later on would allow him to regain his original history while avoiding his prior death.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I personally would want Jean-Paul to come face to face with how nationalism, xenophobia, racism, and right wing politics have polluted and poisoned Evangelical Christianity - largely because I’m a Christian who finds the “Evangelical” movement to have become something horrific and ungodly, and I NEED to see it get deconstructed from the spiritual side. I want to see Jean-Paul deal with people who blatantly ignore pretty much everything merciful and compassionate in favor of trying to play-act as Old Testament Israelites, who can’t separate their faith from their skin-tone and desire for capitalism, and would be the type to follow a blatant charlatan.

I could see Scratch back as a “Hollywood Satanism” type of character, but honestly, I’d find it even more hilarious if he were to portray himself as a “born-again” “reformed” guy, complete with spray tan and holding a Bible upside down, even if it was just for a single arc. While I’m a (religiously evangelical, but not political) Christian myself, I also don't see much use in replicating Hollywood’s misinterpretation of Satanism anymore than in replicating Temple of Doom’s idea of Hinduism.

About the only type of religious approach I don’t care for would be the Dan Brown-type of “religious horror” that Jeff Lemire used with Michael Lane’s Azrael run - more because my education as a Social Studies teacher rebels against poorly researched mythologizing of real world mainstream religions than out of my religion itself. None of this “the eighth deadly sin is faith!” nonsense when Spectre can be far more terrifying without such nonsense, and when the Holy Grail and other stuff can show how to use myth stuff better.

St. Dumas was pretty radically changed in Batman and Robin Eternal, and while it had similar beats JPV's Nu52/Rebirth origin was different and so was his suit. This however had his original suit(like Arkham City) and brought back the more sword and sorcery St.Dumas order too, completely ignoring the new take.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Got both the one-shot and the first issue yesterday and loved them.

Adore this new approach to Jean Paul, and I love how they're handling the System, JPV's faith, and the idea of other "angels" surviving the Templar's destruction. Feels like the creators read the original series and carried over some of its best elements while ignoring a lot of the newer stuff which makes me happy; the newer stuff is largely forgettable.

Really enjoyed how they dealt with issues of faith and radicalization and zealotry as well. I said a page or so back that I was hoping to see this book explore those topics and call that religion out on some of its bullshit and I feel like I got that, a little bit. But it also didn't focus exclusively on the negative elements of the religion, and highlighted some of its more positive messages, which ended up being some of the best scenes in both issues.

Art was good, in a real stylized, kinetic kind of way. Not familiar with the artist, I don't think, but I really liked their work and it felt fitting for the story.

I don't even mind the new-ish costume. It's not as good as the original, feels like it's trying a little too hard to look adaptable for live action honestly, but it's essentially the same as it was and the artist pulled it off perfectly.

Yeah I am absolutely adding this to my pull list.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-07-2022 at 05:45 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Got both the one-shot and the first issue yesterday and loved them.

Adore this new approach to Jean Paul, and I love how they're handling the System, JPV's faith, and the idea of other "angels" surviving the Templar's destruction. Feels like the creators read the original series and carried over some of its best elements while ignoring a lot of the newer stuff which makes me happy; the newer stuff is largely forgettable.

Really enjoyed how they dealt with issues of faith and radicalization and zealotry as well. I said a page or so back that I was hoping to see this book explore those topics and call that religion out on some of its bullshit and I feel like I got that, a little bit. But it also didn't focus exclusively on the negative elements of the religion, and highlighted some of its more positive messages, which ended up being some of the best scenes in both issues.

Art was good, in a real stylized, kinetic kind of way. Not familiar with the artist, I don't think, but I really liked their work and it felt fitting for the story.

I don't even mind the new-ish costume. It's not as good as the original, feels like it's trying a little too hard to look adaptable for live action honestly, but it's essentially the same as it was and the artist pulled it off perfectly.

Yeah I am absolutely adding this to my pull list.
    Yeah, right now, it looks like we’re building towards some Templar-remnant villains designed to showcase institutionalized fanaticism and self-righteousness as their motivation and POV, contrasted with Jean Paul dealing with a very literal brainwashing element of that in his mind like theirs while actually having awareness and humility outside of it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    St. Dumas was pretty radically changed in Batman and Robin Eternal, and while it had similar beats JPV's Nu52/Rebirth origin was different and so was his suit. This however had his original suit(like Arkham City) and brought back the more sword and sorcery St.Dumas order too, completely ignoring the new take.
    Its a good thing they brought back the original origin then, especially since it reinstated Knightfall and his tenure as Batman II back into continuity.

Like its a really important part not only to Azrael as a character but Batman history in general. Its a shame Azrael is only ever used generally as a religious nut like in the DC vs Vampire miniseries, which ironically apparently has Deathstroke trying to look for a successor to Batman but Azrael is simply there to be a ST. Dumas kook.

Finally got around to reading the first issue and I thought it was really good.

It's been a long time coming for Jean Paul fans, so it's good to see that they have a decent writer on it to. That's always important.

I hope it sells well enough to get a ongoing series.

Just wondering, what happened to the Michael Lane Azrael?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    Just wondering, what happened to the Michael Lane Azrael?
    At the end of his series he went away to reflect on his sins and then never appeared again after Flashpoint.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    At the end of his series he went away to reflect on his sins and then never appeared again after Flashpoint.
    That's a shame. I really liked the Killer of Saints story by David Hine. Hopefully, he will make a comeback someday. Thanks.

I think Morrison did have further plans for him but like Cass and Steph the reboot meant they no longer could write them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think Morrison did have further plans for him but like Cass and Steph the reboot meant they no longer could write them anymore.
    Why do you think that? I don't remember Morrison using him much besides couple of pages in Inc. Was something said in some interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Why do you think that? I don't remember Morrison using him much besides couple of pages in Inc. Was something said in some interviews?
    Uhhhhh wait I think I may be remembering wrong.

Its not that Morrison had plans for him, its that he flat out didn't exist anymore same as Cass and Steph. Cause while they weren't major parts of Morrison's run they still appeared in the background and group shots, like Cass becoming the Black Bat of Hong Kong.

So their total absence is fairly notable cause Morrison makes a point of including everyone no matter how minor.

I believe Morrison introduced a British Azrael-looking character during his run that was associated with Spyral.

The Hood was actually created by Alan Grant in Shadow of the Bat series, Morrison just brought him back.