Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael #3 Preview
    Writter: Dan Watters
    Artist: Nikola Cizmesija

It's not easy being Jean-Paul .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Dan Watters continues to make Azrael a must read book, as not only is a great superhero yarn but the deep characterization and world building are top notch. In the latest issue Watters makes this an ever better read for me as he takes the book in a serious turn towards horror as he explores the origins of the order of St. Dumas. Like a great horror story, it starts slow and moody, throws in a dash of mystery and melancholy before it bursts into action right at the end. A sleepy old Italian villa in the shadow of an ancient volcano, missing children going back decades and a myth of a dark beast...these are classic elements of a horror story and tying them into Azrael's back story not only makes for a great read but it deepens the character as well, giving him a unique niche in DC's world. On top of that I loved the way it tied into the greater cosmology of the DC universe with the way it showed us that the battle between the angel and demon who fell to Earth, the very genesis of the Azrael program was actually a battle between Orion and Kalibak making the technology that created Azrael from the New Gods...or possibly from Apocalypse, which is a really interesting question. And the monster at the end being the first angel of St.Dumas? He was a fantastic Frankenstein Monster like creature that totally stole the scene and that he was meant to be the embodiment of Satan was a great addition that will really make JPV question himself even more. I can't wait to read more and although this is part three of six I'm hoping it continues much further than that.

In terms of cohesion between the art and the story I really think this is the best issue yet. In this chapter Cizmesija really dialed in his style to better fit the tone of the story and the book is so much better for it. In this issue we see a greater emphasis on deep shadows and he's also scaled back his manga inspired stylization which gives the book a more realistic and darker tone which helps highlight that classic horror feel. I can't wait to see what he does next month when the battle with the first Angel really kicks into full gear!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael #4 Preview

Templar Flashbacks!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This is legit the most fun I'm having with US comics right now. This whole series has been a blast.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

All-New Member

It keeps getting better and better!

My feelings are still the same after this issue, enjoying the story, art not so much.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

With the fourth chapter things really kick into high gear with a combination of relentless, fast paced action and some really great world building. In the last issue we learned that the "system" that allows Azrael to be the super-soldier he is isn't actually a gift from the Christian god as he always assumed...but is rather based on a discarded father-box from Apocalypse that fell to Earth in a battle between Orion and Kalibak during the Crusades. While it was long known in the comics that Azrael was the result of programming one of the central dramas was whether it was actually inspired by god or man and here we get the definitive answer and it's honestly more interesting than the other two options and the way that the Azrael personality shuts down in the face of the revelation just highlights that. If it was the old dichotomy Azrael could simply say that it was the will of god working through man...but a pantheon from outside time and space? It turns Azrael's belief structure on its ear and it creates another drama: with Azrael incapacitated Jean Paul has to commit violence in order to survive destroying the barrier between the two personalities. How will that affect him going forward? It'll certainly be a big question to answer and I'm looking forward to what Watters does with it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    My feelings are still the same after this issue, enjoying the story, art not so much.
    The fight scenes were definitely a little muddled by the anime influenced art but the mood id great.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Ahahah Azrael has defeated Satan

Hell of a thing you can say about him now

Extraordinary Member

Sword of Azrael #5 Preview

Faith and family is a complicated thing.

Looking forward to the next issue. This has been one of the best books DC is putting out. Kinda sorry that we're approaching the finale. Hopefully it's selling well enough to justify a second mini, or better yet, a full ongoing. I wouldn't mind having Azreal on my regular pull list again, month in and month out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Well shit Sariel got the surgery

Very unfortunate