Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it took me a bit to get used to the art but by the end I actually liked it.
    Same. It's not a style that lends itself to flipping through pages. But once you actually read them it just pops quite a punch. I was not into it at the beginning of the run in Batman: Urban Legends. By the end of that storyline I was eagerly looking forward to this mini. It did not disappoint. I'm not even a huge Azrael fan but I really, really enjoyed this mini.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Same. It's not a style that lends itself to flipping through pages. But once you actually read them it just pops quite a punch. I was not into it at the beginning of the run in Batman: Urban Legends. By the end of that storyline I was eagerly looking forward to this mini. It did not disappoint. I'm not even a huge Azrael fan but I really, really enjoyed this mini.
    Yeah, it grew on me over time but now that it's over I don't think it would have worked nearly as well with another artist. I really hope they get to do another story.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it grew on me over time but now that it's over I don't think it would have worked nearly as well with another artist. I really hope they get to do another story.
    Yeah I think this creative team gels really well together. I definitely would like to see another mini from them whether it's for Azrael or some other character(s).

My TPB was delivered yesterday. Happy to have it and hope more people check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    My TPB was delivered yesterday. Happy to have it and hope more people check it out.
    It was definitely one of the best superhero books of last year.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-07-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Thanks for the reminder, I have now ordered a copy.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This reminds me that I should see if my LCS has it - I loved this series, but didn't collect most of it when it was coming out.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Posted this in the Detective Comics thread but Dan Watters has confirmed that the backups he'll be writing in Detective Comics will feature Azrael. Little unclear if the Azrael story begins in the first back up he's writing in issue #1074 or if it starts in issue #1077.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Posted this in the Detective Comics thread but Dan Watters has confirmed that the backups he'll be writing in Detective Comics will feature Azrael. Little unclear if the Azrael story begins in the first back up he's writing in issue #1074 or if it starts in issue #1077.
    Glad to hear it .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Dang and drawn by Laim Sharp, thats a good artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Dang and drawn by Laim Sharp, thats a good artist.
    Yeah, this is going to be a case where the back up is better than the main story

Awesome news, can we just give Dan Watters one of the Batman books? Plus an Azrael ongoing, of course.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Dammit! I refuse to buy a book just for the backup (I did that for Manhunter, and won't do it again) but I really want a follow up to this story.

It better get collected like the last backup did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I just read this collection. As a long time Azrael fan I must say this exploration of The System being tied to the Motherbox and New Gods sits a bit off kilter with me.
    Seems DC wants to separate Azrael's ties to organized religion.
    Then again, any DC characters tied to faith seem on the back burner by and large.

I also hope the Azrael backups he'll be writing will be collected cause I'm still curious to see where this direction is going even if it doesn't initially sit well with me.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Seems DC wants to separate Azrael's ties to organized religion.
    Um, what? This was all about religion, especially it's gruesome history.

Plus, the new Gods? Gods!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Then again, any DC characters tied to faith seem on the back burner by and large.
    You could argue Spectre is notably absent, though this happens from time to time, but what other prominent faith based characters do you feel are missing?

I always liked Zauriel, but he's hardly an overly important DC character.