Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marauders #3 PREVIEW

Looks like the art is improving
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Looks like the art is improving
    I’m positive it’s not, I think you are getting used to it though

Great backgrounds and dynamic panels but the body work is just eeeew
    Last edited by Daedra; 05-05-2022 at 03:15 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

It's hard to take this book seriously with this art. The style just doesn't mesh well with the material.

Story wise, I like it so far. But they need a change of art after this initial arc.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm digging it. I love Carlini's page compositions.

I see that Cassandra has decided to join her brothers in the funny looking helmet club. Must be a family tradition.

oooh a rematch between Nova and Gladiator that was already fun the first time !
    (the art is much better when she doesn't try to create too many details in the background)

Enough about the art!! I for one think it's great! If the book isn't for you then it isn't for you!

Loving this team and storyline. So nice to see Psylocke in something other than that leotard.

Tempo is the best! I wonder how her, Tempus, and Sway's powers are similar.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

So what are Novas powers again? I thought she is just a very powerful telepath but clearly she seems to be physically adept too with simply grabbing energy swords and the like.

Astonishing Member

Last time I checked in the Morrison run she could manipulate her body on the cellular level and rapidly regenerate. But Cassandra isn't opposed to brawling she went toe toe with Wolverine back in the day.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It's hard to take this book seriously with this art. The style just doesn't mesh well with the material.

Story wise, I like it so far. But they need a change of art after this initial arc.
    Looks like most people here agree with you on the art. The story and cast looks great too.

Hope they change the artist soon.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Enough about the art!! I for one think it's great! If the book isn't for you then it isn't for you!

Loving this team and storyline. So nice to see Psylocke in something other than that leotard.

Tempo is the best! I wonder how her, Tempus, and Sway's powers are similar.
    100% This.

Astonishing Member

Ok can I just say Cassandra's costume looks fantastic it's a great modernized version of her iconic safari outfit. Also I'm loving that Orlando is writing Cassandra as a powerhouse something that has been sorely lacking since the Morrison run.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I’m positive it’s not, I think you are getting used to it though

Great backgrounds and dynamic panels but the body work is just eeeew

When I checked out the artist's other works, I really liked her art but I was very disapointed with the quality of the art in Marauders because for some reasons it's very rushed, sketchy, unfinished and childish compared to her previous works. Art style is a personal preference of course, for me, I like this style but not in Marauders because of the quality.

I think the main problems in Marauders:
    • faces are not drawn properly, they don't even have eyes in many cases, like there wasnt enough time to finish them(except Cassandra Nova whose face is very detailed) - this I honestly think is unaccaptable in a supposedly high-profile book...
    • body shapes/poses/movements (faces too) are too exaggerated + the background is all over the place - it becomes too messy to see what's really happening at times and characters just don't really look good but silly
    • The tone of the writing is much more serious than the art. Because the art is too childish, it's hard to take the book/story seriously... And this can hurt the series.
      E.g.: the enemy(Eric the Red) who is supposed to be a threat looks laughable, even more cartoonish than other characters. he doesn't feel like a threat at all and it's distracting from the story.

But here in this 3 pages preview the art looks a bit more serious than in the first 2 issues. The characters actually have faces and aren't too exaggerated. Characters' body shape are detailed and not quickly drawn stick figures or too cartoonish, eg.: Gladiator looks imposing and not laughable like Eric the Red. All 3 pages but especially the third one is very clean -it's still very dynamic, but not to the point to become messy and it's easy to see what's happening. I hope this will continue and keep getting better(it's still not quite there...), I'd have much less problem with the art.

And yeah, I'm trying to be hopeful that it will improve because I know the artist can draw more seriously than what we've seen so far, and because there's a huge difference between the quality of the art in Marauders and what other X-books got -which is very disappointing-, I hope the editors see it too... Either help improve the art or change the artist. This book deserves as good art as the other titles; it's supposed to be one of the main books of Destiny of X...
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    When I checked out the artist's other works, I really liked her art but I was very disapointed with the quality of the art in Marauders because for some reasons it's very rushed, sketchy, unfinished and childish compared to her previous works. Art style is a personal preference of course, for me, I like this style but not in Marauders because of the quality.

I think the main problems in Marauders:
    • faces are not drawn properly, they don't even have eyes in many cases, like there wasnt enough time to finish them(except Cassandra Nova whose face is very detailed) - this I honestly think is unaccaptable in a supposedly high-profile book...
    • body shapes/poses/movements (faces too) are too exaggerated + the background is all over the place - it becomes too messy to see what's really happening at times and characters just don't really look good but silly
    • The tone of the writing is much more serious than the art. Because the art is too childish, it's hard to take the book/story seriously... And this can hurt the series.
      E.g.: the enemy(Eric the Red) who is supposed to be a threat looks laughable, even more cartoonish than other characters. he doesn't feel like a threat at all and it's distracting from the story.

But here in this 3 pages preview the art looks a bit more serious than in the first 2 issues. The characters actually have faces and aren't too exaggerated. Characters' body shape are detailed and not quickly drawn stick figures or too cartoonish, eg.: Gladiator looks imposing and not laughable like Eric the Red. All 3 pages but especially the third one is very clean -it's still very dynamic, but not to the point to become messy and it's easy to see what's happening. I hope this will continue and keep getting better(it's still not quite there...), I'd have much less problem with the art.

And yeah, I'm trying to be hopeful that it will improve because I know the artist can draw more seriously than what we've seen so far, and because there's a huge difference between the quality of the art in Marauders and what other X-books got -which is very disappointing-, I hope the editors see it too... Either help improve the art or change the artist. This book deserves as good art as the other titles; it's supposed to be one of the main books of Destiny of X...
    Thanks for breaking it down and really laying out the issues. Like you, I don't think the art is bad, it's just that the art doesn't fit the tone for the book.

As I've said, the story is interesting despite my initial reaction to Cassandra being on the team. But it's very hard to take this book seriously with the art style. It just doesn't mesh.

The art does look better this issue, but I still don't love it. I understand some artists need time to refine their characters and whatnot. I won't write this artist off, but the first two issues were rough