Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What makes Superman your favorite hero?

Title of thread,

Basically why do you care for Superman? What makes him the greatest hero? Why are you a fan?

I'll start, I'm a fan of Superman because he has all the power to do WHATEVER he wants and yet in the end....all he wants to do is help people.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yolo_dude View Post
    Title of thread,

Basically why do you care for Superman? What makes him the greatest hero? Why are you a fan?

I'll start, I'm a fan of Superman because he has all the power to do WHATEVER he wants and yet in the end....all he wants to do is help people.
    That's my current reasoning. Superman was always that great counterpoint to "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely"

But originally it was the Superman/Clark dichotomy. Back in the Pre-Crisis day it was the way Clark embodied the nerdy, awkward stuff in my personality and Superman/boy embodied what I always felt was there if anyone looked past my geeky surface. And then there was the way Superboy (and occasionally Superman) was shown as being isolated by the fact he saw the world so differently and wanted someone else that he could share that worldview with (Mon-El. pre-accident Lex, )

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman: Up in the Sky pretty much covers it better than I could put into words.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Superman: Up in the Sky pretty much covers it better than I could put into words.
    To that end...

20220410_120248.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Title of thread,

The same reason for me. He is genuinely compassionate and tries to help everyone, even his enemies. He could easily do whatever he wants. He chooses to be kind and help.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

At the end of the day, Superman is the manifestation of a simple concept: the superhero. He is the prototype, the original. I can't imagine loving superheroes and not loving Superman. He does the right thing, goes after those who use their power to harm others, and looks after those less powerful than himself. It's fanciful wish fulfillment and ethical catharsis rolled into one.

At the same time, there are tons of philosophical themes and questions surrounding him. What is the moral responsibility of a god amongst men? What does the culture and fate of Krypton tell us about civilizational advancement? How does a man who can see spectrums and fields of vision entirely invisible to us view life and the world? Where does his human side begin and end? What consequences are there to having an alien protector? What do the stories about him in certain eras tell us about our own society at that time?

Whether you experience him through the raw purity of a child, or dissect and deconstruct his many literary facets, he is a fascinating and inspiring character.

BANNED

This quote from JMS about sums it up for me:

"For a lot of people, Superman is and has always been America's hero. He stands for what we believe is the best within us: limitless strength tempered by compassion, that can bear adversity and emerge stronger on the other side. He stands for what we all feel we would like to be able to stand for, when standing is hardest."

I read an article recently about a study that found just looking at an image of Superman caused people to become more altruistic and pro-social. There's something about the very look of the character, as if what he stands for can be seen in his design and appearance. Of course, I also love Superman because of the endless possibilities for fun, adventure, and drama that's built into his mythos. This is why the Silver Age was quite possibly the best Superman has ever been in comics.

Edited to add: here's the article from Scientific American.
    Last edited by Kirk Brent; 05-06-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Not many writers get this aspect right. But when they do, Superman just leaps out of the pages and speaks to me. I would describe it as being, "Harder then a thunderbolt, but softer then a rose." He is one of the most dangerous persons who have ever lived. And yet you never feel like he's dangerous. The first time i felt this connection was in this. All Star Superman #9.

Everyone knows the story, so i'll keep to the point which touched my heart. After what the arrogant scientists did what Superman to them was astonishing. He tried to help them. Such compassion in a super hero? I have always liked Superman. Thanks to Superman The Animated Series from the 90s. But this particular moment made me sit up and notice. This dude has more to him then great superhero action. That's found everywhere. But there's a real strength in his character. Not just his muscles,

I might have been alive when Reeve was playing Superman. Perhaps i died and was reborn again. Because i connect so much to this. (Look from 2:40 mark).

The point that he's a friend. Most of my favorite moments are the little moments when he's not saving the world. Bringing down a cat from the tree. Returning back the kid his cap in Superman and Lois. Not being ashamed to admit that his mom made his costume. Playing with Krypto in the asteroid belt. Some people might say that's cheesy. But i find such moments heartwarming. Somehow after having so much power he's not drunk with power.

Apart from these there's the rich mythology. Krypton. Legion of Superheroes. Kandor. Fortress of Solitude. These kinds of concepts suits a sci-fi character like Superman. I love them. Clark Kent himself is fascinating. Most of the times, he's a dork. I identify myself with that sometimes. The missed opportunity of Clark Kent the energetic crusader of justice always hits me. That's one of the things writers miss out a lot of times. Keeping Clark important. Superman's comedic situations. His love life. Each can be a source of joy.

And finally there's something in Superman that has already been mentioned. He's something of a thinking guy's superhero. There are a lot of things you can think about. What if Superman existed in real life? How much should he intervene and what does it tell about power itself? If you were Superman what would you do? I have been engaged in many such discussions in the CBR forums. Some of his stories are like that. What would Superman do if he learnt that he has a few days to live? The result is stories like All Star Superman or Superman #156 from the Silver Age. If you want to know what a person is really like, check him during his time of death. And Superman did show that. Till the end he almost had a pathological pull to lend a helping hand to do something good, till he can.

Well these are some of my random thoughts? Why Superman is my favorite? All of the above. And imaginative stuff like this which are fun to read.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-06-2022 at 10:13 AM.

I guess 'cause of this:

And this:

And some of these:

And also a whole bunch of other stuff.

To be honest, there's so much wrapped up in my love for Superman, that it would be a tough time to explain it without reducing it. But to oversimplify, he's an elemental eternal champion of the people, a symbol of glorious boundless imagination, and a loveable goofball to boot. What's not to love?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He's kind, he roasts Batman, he has great smile no matter the actor or artwork (okay maybe this is pushing it), loves his mom and dad, he can be super cute or super hot, he shields other non bulletproof heroes, his golden age stories are very cathartic, his young New 52 enjoys helping people and take down villain like how I and a lot other young people I know would be if they have his powers (even if they don't read Superman) and...

People I don't like don't get him. They don't understand the coolness and happiness that comes from being kind, humble and helpful, and the happiness of reading someone like that.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Cause he is like some of the other heroes i am really into..And i can't really find another like that at dc or marvel.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

What I love about really really old comics of Silver Age and prior is that he has all these powers, but still uses more finesse and cleverness to solve problems than he uses brute force. A man of the people and for the people.

Later iterations made him grow to be the symbol of maturity, a person to look up to as inspiration for optimism and hope, a person you can still identify with at certain situations when it comes to humanity and humility.

The array of powers under his belt is a good thing too, it doesn't simply add to the fun of his stories, it's a key ingredient in a lot of them.

Also he's not a stupid overpowered evil dictator enforcing his rule on all those who like him and outlaw those who oppose him.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Retired

I think it's the prosciutto.

Title of thread,

I like Supes because I grew up with him. I watched the Superboy seasons and the various Superman shows and the Fleischer cartoons. I especially loved the RubySpears cartoon. He is a classic. Classic powers, classic garb. He was the modern idea of a hero.

I say "was" because here in the States we have a huge cultural problem where a powerful chunk of the population does not like heroism. They do not like Ethics. And they would rather laugh at another's pain, discomfort, or hardship. So the things I love about my favorites are things that today are being quite challenged.

Incredible Member

Truth, Justice, and the American Away! Has always worked for me!
    Last edited by gwhh; 05-08-2022 at 05:59 PM.