Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    The reason people are worried about it not doing insane box office is because the film was clearly marketed in a way to drum up hype similar to No Way Home, despite there not being the same levels of fan service, and therefore hurting its impact. Bob Chapek (Disney CEO) seems like the type of guy to pull the brakes on anything like this going forward if it doesn’t meet his expectations financially.

Of course it is a financial success (it’s passed the first film’s full global gross in a week and a half) - but I personally can’t help feel like the heads at Disney seeing it as a disappointment because it didn’t bring in NWH money. That marketing campaign was a stupid choice in hindsight

I don't believe for one second Disney thought this would bring in No Way home money.

Astonishing Member

Why is it even being compared to Fight Club here? Raimi has done “realistic violence” in his Spider-Man movies yes, however, this film borrows more from his horror movies. We don’t need to see injury like we do in Foght Club, we don’t even need to see it like on the Saw films.

This is a fantasy movie that is still made for nearly all ages. Acting like it would have been better if we had scenes like in Saving Private Ryan while still keeping the goofiness and camp that Raimi is known for goes against everything I’ve seen people critique about directors and marvel films
    He seems to be arguing that Doctor Strange shouldn't be rated PG-13 because it has less violence than an R rated movie. He also mentions Billy Wilder whose last movie came out before the PG-13 rating existed.

Wow, Dr. Strange 2 is doing better than Winter Soldier did in its theatrical run.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

People keep asking me if I watched the film, yes I did, 8 days ago
    It's okay. You can stop lying. Nobody here really believes that you've watched half the movies you said you have. Part of the reason for that is because of how you always give the most vague explanations of scenes and plot summaries possibly while frequently getting points wrong.

Now if you really have watched all these movies, then we'd REALLY be worried about you.

If we're to believe you, then you've watched over twenty movies (usually right after they come out and they're still in theaters) knowing that you'd hate every single one of them. If that's the case, you're just insane.

I'd much rather believe you were lying than you were crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Wow, Dr. Strange 2 is doing better than Winter Soldier did in its theatrical run.
    So far in 2 weeks it has brought in more domestic money than the total runs of:

- Incredible Hulk
    - Eternals
    - Captain America First Avenger
    - Ant-Man
    - Thor
    - Black Widow
    - Thor Dark World
    - Ant-Man & Wasp
    - Shang-Chi
    - Doctor Strange
    - Captain America Winter Soldier
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

DS2 also continues Marvel's incredible track record with sequels. 12/14 MCU sequels have made more domestically than their predecessor. And the two that didn't - Ultron and IM2 - were still super-successful.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 05-17-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Mighty Member

The music gets REALLY loud when mommy Wanda confronts Scarlet Witch in the end. What DID she say to her? I can't make it out...

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    DS2 also continues Marvel's incredible track record with sequels. 12/14 MCU sequels have made more domestically than their predecessor. And the two that didn't - Ultron and IM3 - were still super-successful.
    Do you mean IM2? Cause IM3 did better domestically than either 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    The music gets REALLY loud when mommy Wanda confronts Scarlet Witch in the end. What DID she say to her? I can't make it out...
    "They'll be loved."

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't believe for one second Disney thought this would bring in No Way home money.
    I’d hope not, and I don’t think a few years ago it would have been the case, but Bob Chapek doesn’t strike me as the smartest tool in the shed

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Do you mean IM2? Cause IM3 did better domestically than either 1 or 2.
    Yes, that was a typo.

Astonishing Member

I’d hope not, and I don’t think a few years ago it would have been the case, but Bob Chapek doesn’t strike me as the smartest tool in the shed

If I am reading this right No Way home is the 2nd biggest box office ever for a super-hero movie. And thats with no China. The idea that Dr Strange 2 would bring in those numbers is ridiculous. Correction 3rd biggest worldwide. 2nd biggest comic book movie domestic.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 05-17-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Ultimate Member

I’d be shocked if anyone thought MoM would do NWH numbers.

NWH was a “generational” event because it brought back all the previous live action Spider-mans and some of the villains (let’s not forget just how massive the first Spider-man trilogy was). If not for China, it would have done around Avengers Endgame money worldwide.

MoM was still a Dr Strange movie albeit with a large presence of the Scarlet Witch. Granted if it had held better domestically it would have done over $400m but I don’t believe anyone saw it doing Avengers or NWH figures. That’s a bit too much for a Dr Strange sequel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I’d be shocked if anyone thought MoM would do NWH numbers.

NWH was a “generational” event because it brought back all the previous live action Spider-mans and some of the villains (let’s not forget just how massive the first Spider-man trilogy was). If not for China, it would have done around Avengers Endgame money worldwide.

MoM was still a Dr Strange movie albeit with a large presence of the Scarlet Witch. Granted if it had held better domestically it would have done over $400m but I don’t believe anyone saw it doing Avengers or NWH figures. That’s a bit too much for a Dr Strange sequel.

I think some people think that Since Black Panther, and Captain Marvel did such huge numbers that this should to. But people forget Black Panther was MASSIVE in the states, because of the fact that it was a Black Panther movie. And Captain Marvel came out between Infinity War and End Game. What people dont really want to see is no movies in the last three years have done huge business. If I am looking at things right if this movie gets to 800 million WW that would be the 2nd biggest American film in the last 3 years. And I am guessing it will hold that spot till Thor. Or maybe Top Gun cause that might be huge. Although not sure how that will play overseas. Check that maybe jurassic world.

The reason people are worried about it not doing insane box office is because the film was clearly marketed in a way to drum up hype similar to No Way Home, despite there not being the same levels of fan service, and therefore hurting its impact. Bob Chapek (Disney CEO) seems like the type of guy to pull the brakes on anything like this going forward if it doesn’t meet his expectations financially.

Of course it is a financial success (it’s passed the first film’s full global gross in a week and a half) - but I personally can’t help feel like the heads at Disney seeing it as a disappointment because it didn’t bring in NWH money. That marketing campaign was a stupid choice in hindsight
    Disney doesn't decide what movies are being made, such creative decisions are made by Marvel Studios, namely Kevin Feige.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.