Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It was very much a Raimi film and I was surprised this was not R.

Between Blackbolt's head explosion, the brutal kill of Reed, the neck snap of Xavier, and the bisection of Captain Carter ... Holey moley.
    Yeah, I was legit surprised.

Raimi really went at it and had Wanda kill so many people in rather brutal ways. Even the Sinister Strange met a rather brutal fate.

My son was really freaked out and said he doesn’t want to watch it again. It’s my fault but I never thought we would see that level of carnage in a big budget PG-13 rated superhero movie.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-08-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I liked it. Did it have flaws and plot holes? Sure. I'd say wanting children is just as bad of a motivation for mass murder, genocide, or risking the collapse of a universe in the movies as it was in the comics ("No More Mutants", etc.). America Chavez was a pretty boring character/plot device. I'm not interested in Rachel McAdams' character at all, but I understand the need for an emotional ground for Strange. Didn't care about the mountaintop magic school or any of the students, and don't remember if the one who stood out because they were a cow-person even had a line. Captain Carter shouldn't have lasted as long as she did, but a good death scene (if neutered for rating). The Captain Marvel fight was kind of boring.

Complaints I disagree with:

1. It was too "Raimi" of a movie. 90% of Disney superhero movies this past decade have religiously followed the Guardians of the Galaxy formula, and while this film did have a few of those moments it's refreshing to see something not only not adhere to the formula but to also have a style of its own.

2. Too much CGI. As compared to what? Black Panther and the Phantom Menace droid soldier-style blue shields, rhino mounts, and futuristic city? Everything about Guardians, Thor, Infinity War, and Endgame (and Loki, Wandavision, etc.)? Black Widow doing flips through exploding helicopters without so much as a scratch? I don't like CGI either, it feels like I'm watching a cartoon and am expected to take it as seriously as if it were real, but if you're going to a movie with the Sorcerer Supreme (sorry Wong, but let's be real here) travelling through multiple universes to fight a mega-witch and you think there's not going to be a lot of CGI I have no idea what to tell you. For what it's worth Raimi is actually more prone to have real effects than most of the directors behind the Disney superhero movies.

3. Illuminati sucked/were fan service. On sucked, I'll say it'd have been nice to see more out of Reed, a little bit more stretcho, and again Captain Marvel could have done more than trade energy blasts with Wanda. I did think they handled Black Bolt well. As to fan service, good. It's a cameo (extended cameo to put over Wanda's OP status), we don't need deep development or a minor plot line. What's wrong with making fans happy?
    Yeah, I like that Marvel allowed Raimi do what he wanted to here. For good or for bad (as much as people praise Raimi now, his style is not to everyone’s liking).

The movie was made in his style and there were a TON of references to his previous work. Even Undead Strange at the end looked like a cross between Darkman and a Deadite.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think the violence has been overplayed, also I find it odd how these are some that claimed r was not necessary and r was bad and r made no sense, it is kind of odd that now they seem to good on here about the violence here.

I saw the film and not once was I scared or felt truly gory, maybe apart from black bolt's death but issue here is that, it all felt cartoonish so the violence does not really get you much if you have seen other pg 13 movies. I also missed out on all the jump scares, which I have heard people talk about a lot.

I think if the movie's style of fantasy had looked more like lord of the rings or even the Snyder Cut, the R-rating flirt would have been effective, if you look at other comic films that pushes of pg 13, why we say so is because those movies have grounded realism that marvel has never had, so the grit that births the violence is more believable, A character like Wolverine was extremely violence on film even before Logan that was R and we always bought it but then again, Bryan Singer was infamously a grounded comic book film maker.

Movie history has always shown that it is very hard to take cartoonish violence seriously (example been Mars Attacks, which is what dr strange 2 reminds me off in terms of violence) and I think that is how Dr Strange 2 would be looked at once compared to other pg 13 comics films that we wonder if they should have just gone r.

It feels like a big deal here for marvel, but outside the bubble, I doubt it will make any difference or shift conversation that MCU movies are too ''kid friendly'' at the expense of been more daring. If MCU had limited the overbearing CGI that was so animated and changed their cinemathogprhay, made it less colourful, the violence would have been very effective. this is a good example of what I mean.

This is a more believable violent movie that is pg 13 but what makes it convincing is how Nolan shot his movies to look very realistic so the violence is more enduring, even in sound mixing again my classic reference to a conversation I had on this forum about what made Saving Private Ryan a masterpiece in film making and been the one iconic movie that has had the most realistic violence about world war 2.

Marvel is thinking of violence here but they are so equally thinking about selling toys and their movies must still look like the best advertisement for their toys. This is what you get in Dr Strange 2.
    I think people are just surprised that it’s not R, not saying it should be, nor that it should have been harder violence - it’s clearly still fantasy violence, and personally I’m glad they kept it that way. The only thing I would have changed was to show Captain Carter’s death more obviously.

But I don’t understand the complaints about the realism, especially in reference to The Dark Knight. It seems a bit weird to look at a Sam Raimi movie and suggest it should be as realistic as a Christopher Nolan movie. The violence and action sequences in this movie were over the top, goofy, and campy - Raimi’s signature. A lot of people complain that Marvel don’t let directors do what they want, but this movie was completely Raimi, so it’s a bit strange (hehe) that this is a complaint honestly

Like, I understand it not being to your taste and there are certainly flaws, but to suggest there isn’t room for this type of violence in comic book based media is a moot criticism imo - I don’t think Marvel or Raimi were looking to make the film as realistic as Saving Private Ryan.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 05-08-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Bless your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    My Review

I just saw the movie and sometimes I wonder with myself, do I really like film/cinema so much as a craft that I like to be informed about it much and the answer is always yes. this is my only logical explanation why i still watch some comic book movies as they are now the big forces of cinema. its like the movie had so much but said so little and I feel in the coming months people are going to look at this film as maybe marvel's worst offender in excessive CGI , (which some were quite awful) over plot.

It is a marvel formula movie at its most excessive and perhaps maybe the weakest film they have released post pandemic. all my predictions that I said will likely be the outcome of the movie came to pass especially the cameos and the concept of how to do a multiverse story.

I have seen some MCU movies more than once at their time of release. I even saw NWH twice, but this movie, I have no intention to see again, one good thing I will say is Rachael Mcadams, looks so lovely in this film. 18 years since Mean Girls and she looks more beautiful than ever and Elizabeth Orsen gave a fantastic performance. Outside of that, most of the movie was severely lacking in content.

If I predicted that The Batman will be the top comic film of the year, this is going to turn out so and with a wide wide gap. This movies fails in many ways for many of the reason the Batman succeeds. First with the Batman, I can at least find a solid story, with better cgi, better cinemathogprhay and better direction, better film craft

Additionally can I say before I went to see this film, I was having a blast from the past of watching some old Hollywood movies again (Annie Hall) which I had to pause to go see Dr Strange 2 and when I was watching Dr Strange 2, all I could think about was going back to finish Annie Hall as I am doing right now and boy, what a difference. no wonder many directors like to come negatively for marvel

I once said that I know why Annie Hall beat star wars 77 for best picture and revisiting the movie, I can see why (again) , so I hope Disney don't even try to push Dr Strange 2 at awards season not even for Oscar VFX, which should have been a big strength here for this kind of film, especially with Sam Raimi as the director.

Hopefully I remember a lot about this movie because by the 2nd and 3rd arc things got so messy, had no clue what was going on and this is not my fault. I blame this on the mishap screen writing that they masked with the excessive cgi, if not that America Charvez ended up giving Wanda what she wanted, which had to be memorable by force (her kids, who ending up loathing her and seeing her as a monster) I wont have remembered much about the film and also Dr Strange getting the 3rd eye in the final scene. I hope this is not a plot point mcu ignores when we see him again.

Lastly I don't think Wanda is dead, she showed so much unlimited power, no way collapsing buildings would have killed her so easily, she likely escaped, hence the red energy burst we see as the building towers collapsed.

Over grade: C-

I wish I could grade this higher just for Elizabeth Olsen but you need more than one stand out performance. I also gave The Batman a B grade and that was a far better movie, so I think the C- here by that standard is deserving.
    Movie was just bad a complete mess. I give it a D+. I think once this initial hype dies down, people will look back on this movie and see it for what it actually is. I think it maybe the worst MCU film next to TDW…

Phase 4 where the tv shows have been better than the movies. That’s facts…

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Uhh I doubt that besides Wandavision shows have been hit and miss. Moon Knight turned out alright I guess.

Incredible Member

For me, it was the most enjoyable MCU movie in years. Strange was a competent Sorcerer for a change and there weren't any parts I felt where it dragged. The Illuminati was enjoyable and you knew they weren't going to last. A little surprised the did in Captain Carter since she seems so popular. I don't suppose that universes Wanda could have glued some of them back together?

I liked that Wanda was corrupted by the Darkhold but not controlled by Cthon. I thought they may exorcise her and 'all is forgiven' back to status quo. They made her the bad guy to the end. I was a little disappointed the Book of the Vishanti was so flammable, even if it was to evil magic.

They just need to put Bats in the next one.
    Sounds perfect.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

LOL, this is true

You can tell experimenting with MCU television is stretching the Quality Control with Feige.

All of the D+ shows have been good between 80 - 100, Moon Knight & Loki being at the top while What If? & FaTWS being at the bottom. I can forgive the latter because it was obviously short shrifted by the pandemic.

The last two MCU films have been atrocious because you can't green screen away the entire film. I mean Spidey felt like it was shot in a single bedroom apartment and Strange felt like a bad stage production with all of the horrible wigs.

I hope Thor can do much better, but I do not have any faith in Black Panther 2.

Ultimate Member

Regarding the Illuminati, is it possible that the Earth 838 is the Earth the X-men movies took place? (just a wild theory).

It can't be possible because Professor X is already dead in that world (if Logan is the canonical future of that universe).

Also, I chuckled at the X-men 90s music theme playing when Professor X appeared. The movie had all the Sam Raimi goofiness packed into it..LOLOLOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Regarding the Illuminati, is it possible that the Earth 838 is the Earth the X-men movies took place? (just a wild theory).

It can't be possible because Professor X is already dead in that world (if Logan is the canonical future of that universe).

Also, I chuckled at the X-men 90s music theme playing when Professor X appeared. The movie had all the Sam Raimi goofiness packed into it..LOLOLOL.
    The bit that got me was Dreamwalking Doctor Strange in his alternate body’s corpse winking at America Chavez - LOVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

That's awesome they have the cartoon music for stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    For me, it was the most enjoyable MCU movie in years. Strange was a competent Sorcerer for a change and there weren't any parts I felt where it dragged. The Illuminati was enjoyable and you knew they weren't going to last. A little surprised the did in Captain Carter since she seems so popular. I don't suppose that universes Wanda could have glued some of them back together?

I liked that Wanda was corrupted by the Darkhold but not controlled by Cthon. I thought they may exorcise her and 'all is forgiven' back to status quo. They made her the bad guy to the end. I was a little disappointed the Book of the Vishanti was so flammable, even if it was to evil magic.

They just need to put Bats in the next one.
    Maybe Bats will be Charlize's dog - I'd love that. I thought it was odd how easily the magic tomes were destroyed, given Sam Raimi's history with the Necronomicon in Evil Dead, but I guess they wanted to focus on the Witch actually being the inescapable threat. I figure books like that can never really be destroyed and just come back to you like a bad penny.

Harry73

For me, it's a amazing movie.
    I've just write an article about doctor Strange 2.
    What do you think about it ?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Movie was just bad a complete mess. I give it a D+. I think once this initial hype dies down, people will look back on this movie and see it for what it actually is. I think it maybe the worst MCU film next to TDW…
    Honestly that applies to most Marvel movies. All hype and fan service. People only noticing now cuz Phase 3 is over.

I mean Endgame is littered with so many ludicrous plot points (whole film hinging on a rat, said rat happens to free ant man just so enough time has past that Stark has a toddler, etc etc)

But admittedly they are a safe good time at the theatres which is why I don't own a single film nor have re-watched most of them. MCU movies are like a one and done kinda thing for me.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.