Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Regarding the Illuminati, is it possible that the Earth 838 is the Earth the X-men movies took place? (just a wild theory).

It can't be possible because Professor X is already dead in that world (if Logan is the canonical future of that universe).

Also, I chuckled at the X-men 90s music theme playing when Professor X appeared. The movie had all the Sam Raimi goofiness packed into it..LOLOLOL.
    The X-Men movies timelines are way to messy so I doubt they took place on Earth 838.

went into this movie this past weekend really wanting to LOVE this movie in the same way I LOVED No Way Home. But unfortunately, I didn't walk way on a nerdy high like I did with No Way Home, just a feeling of " that movie was alright". I watched it twice this past weekend to see if I would like it more on a second viewing but my feelings didn't change. Again, I don't think it's bad by ANY means but I was hoping for more. It's definitely a Sam Rami movie for better or worse and it has has style all over it. I do like that this was Marvel's first attempt at darker/ horror themed movie and for the most part it succeeds in that regard. I also like that this film goes full into the Dr. Strange comic lore and references which was cool. Also, Wanda is tragic and terrifying in this movie and she was one of the highlights.

The illumnati cameos were GREAT though and I loved how different the movie was from other MCU movies. But it is flawed and and gets messy in second half of the movie but it's still enjoyable.

7.5/10

Ultimate Member

Interestingly, I'm not sure the horror aesthetic of the movie will play well with the general audience.

On social media, a fair amount of people have been complaining about it.

How the hell does NWH not play a bigger role in this film? That film just came out a few months ago, dealt with the multiverse and Dr. Strange was involved yet outside of a quick mention, its like it didnt exist. I thought Strange's spell and messing with the multiverse was going to lead into the major repercussions that this film would deal with but it didnt touch on that which seems like a missed opportunity.

Also Wanda completely forgot about Vision? It doesnt seem to make sense that she wouldnt be yearning for him as well. Not to mention there is a version of him out there in the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    The bit that got me was Dreamwalking Doctor Strange in his alternate body’s corpse winking at America Chavez - LOVED IT
    Icing on the cake in that scene was Zombie Strange breaking the fourth wall and saying "You can do it, America!"
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How the hell does NWH not play a bigger role in this film? That film just came out a few months ago, dealt with the multiverse and Dr. Strange was involved yet outside of a quick mention, its like it didnt exist. I thought Strange's spell and messing with the multiverse was going to lead into the major repercussions that this film would deal with but it didnt touch on that which seems like a missed opportunity.

Also Wanda completely forgot about Vision? It doesnt seem to make sense that she wouldnt be yearning for him as well. Not to mention there is a version of him out there in the MCU
    Even Olsen had to think of a reason why she has no concern for him, bringing back her brother or her parents. All the focus is on the kids she spent 6 days with.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Because Doctor Strange 2 was supposed to be released prior to No Way Home but Covid messed things up. In fact, America Chavez was supposed to be the one who opened the portals in NWH apparently but this was altered when DS2 wasn't going to be released on time. I think it caused a few continuity errors like this.

I think we were all expecting this to be the culmination of the multiverse concept, however they’re clearly setting up Secret Wars down the line, seeing as they mentioned incursions etc. NWH was the introduction of the concept, Doctor Strange just happens to be a deeper delve into it via a different source.

As to Vision, I expect she came to terms with his death by the end of Wandavision especially seeing as he actually told her he was okay with “dying”, however I imagine her ties to her children are a bit stronger - she created life, found it to be fake, only to find it’s real elsewhere in the multiverse. I don’t blame her for focussing on the children rather than than Vision.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 05-09-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Even Olsen had to think of a reason why she has no concern for him, bringing back her brother or her parents. All the focus is on the kids she spent 6 days with.
    I think that’s kind of trivialising the love she has for who she considers her children.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I think that’s kind of trivialising the love she has for who she considers her children.
    Not at all, it's pointing out she should have other concerns and loved ones she would want to bring back that actually existed and she had real relationships with (rather than conjuring from the nether as a coping mechanism for losing the Vision).

A thought I just had that I haven't seen touched on: If a variant staying in the wrong universe can lead to an Incursion, what does this bode for Alt-Gamora and her stay in the 616?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    A thought I just had that I haven't seen touched on: If a variant staying in the wrong universe can lead to an Incursion, what does this bode for Alt-Gamora and her stay in the 616?
    One of two probabilities:

1) It will DEFINITELY lead to something bigger; or

2) They'll argue she's not from another multiverse but an alternate timeline of the same universe, therefore not the same thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    That's awesome they have the cartoon music for stuff like that.
    I thought the 90s X-Men music was cringe and it foreshadows what lies ahead of MCU X-MEN. Feige took a lot of the classic concept of X-MEN in the film but fails to understand why it works in the X-MEN universe.

1. The 90s song is iconic for many reasons, it introduced the series to a lot of kids, teen and adults in the 90s to the X-Universe. it is a very powerful intro that matches well with the tone of the show. Bringing it in here for only for fan references broke the 4th fall way too much. it took you out of the movie. Had this been a Deadpool movie, it would have been okay, but not this. It came off as trying too hard.

2. Feige takes a line from DOFP, a movie I feel he may have a superficial obsession with but he does not consider that DOFP is a proper movie, its a one man's craft directed by a competent director that did his job from A-Z, a director who cared a lot about his writing, VFX, Directing, story telling, when you take one of the famous lines of DOFP and bring it to the MCU just because the line was very memorable in the film, however your own film does not have the convincing story elements to back up the line, you run into issues and your story becomes hollow.

3. This movies also fails with the DOFP obsession because Wanda does not even acknowledge that she has a brother. it makes no sense, I think people are more likely to remember beloved siblings than lovers/husband, especially if they were a twin. Both Quicksilver and Vision, can be on her mind but they are not in the film. This is a big multiverse story and not one mention or showcase of Quicksilver in any of the multiverse of millions, all because MCU had to kill off their own Quicksilver because of the one in DOFP.

it just does not make sense at all, that she does not consider that her own twin brother may be alive in the millions of universe out there, even if she mentioned this in the film for like one minute, it would have done a lot of good. At least we can praise Wandavsion for having a Quicksilver, despite it been a fake one, but that was a lot more realistic that her dream fantasy of a happy life will consist of her kids, twin brother and husband.

4. And finally I read the yahoo review that said Xavier death here was disrespectful to Logan because the illumanti just felt like empty cameos. this one I saw coming with the reactions months back. I wonder how James Mangold (director of Logan) feels about this because he has been one of directors who criticised Marvel films of not been able to do a stand movie. I always felt they should have just gone with their own Xavier, meaning a new actor.

All in all Fiege has now borrowed form classic xmen adaptions for Dr Strange 2 (X-MEN TAS, DOFP and Logan) However, he did not bring any of the substance that they had and this is a perfect foreshadowing of what his X-Men will be, and this is just not good.

The realisation here now seem to be that Dr Strange 2, did not need to be about the multiverse. NWH was already enough to cover everything that needs to be covered about the theory.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-09-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Kind of a bad message, isn't it? No one ever seems to know what exactly to do with Wanda other than treat her like a hammer.

I don't really personally mind because the comics haven't know what to do with her for years, either.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-09-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Not at all, it's pointing out she should have other concerns and loved ones she would want to bring back that actually existed and she had real relationships with (rather than conjuring from the nether as a coping mechanism for losing the Vision).
    I don’t think it matters that they’re made from magic, that’s kind of the point right? To her they’re real, not fake. Also the fact that they’re children. I don’t think it necessarily is a problem that she didn’t look for Quicksilver or Vision, because she her children were actually born from her (magically, yes, but she still created them), it’s likely she feels a stronger connection.

We also didn’t actually see her plan fully come to fruition, we don’t know if she would have chosen the 838 universe if it was up to her, but she chose it because America Chavez was there. It’s entirely plausible that her children were the first part of the plan; if she wasn’t interrupted who knows how it would have panned out?