Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

The Illuminati lineup felt a bit off, and the second act was the weakest (not bad by any stretch of the imagination, mind you). Captain Carter definitely doesn't seem like the kind of person who would be comfortable with those decisions. Also weird that Prof X was okay with executing alt-universe Strange. Could see him launching Hulk to an abandoned planet like he did in the comics but not straight up killing, the man is all about loopholes. He probably would have attempted to mindwipe Strange and make him believe he was some John Doe living out a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The Illuminati lineup felt a bit off, and the second act was the weakest (not bad by any stretch of the imagination, mind you). Captain Carter definitely doesn't seem like the kind of person who would be comfortable with those decisions. Also weird that Prof X was okay with executing alt-universe Strange. Could see him launching Hulk to an abandoned planet like he did in the comics but not straight up killing, the man is all about loopholes. He probably would have attempted to mindwipe Strange and make him believe he was some John Doe living out a normal life.
    I know what you mean, but to my recollection this Illuminati is far less problematic than the comics version - it seems they’re known as heroes/Avengers types in the 838 universe and obviously they killed Strange, but he seemed to be resigned to that himself? I feel as though they’re setting up a 616 Illuminati in future films, who will be far more morally grey, and may be a bit more like the lineup in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I know what you mean, but to my recollection this Illuminati is far less problematic than the comics version - it seems they’re known as heroes/Avengers types in the 838 universe and obviously they killed Strange, but he seemed to be resigned to that himself? I feel as though they’re setting up a 616 Illuminati in future films, who will be far more morally grey, and may be a bit more like the lineup in the comics?
    Probably! It just seemed weird that Prof X, Monica and Carter signed off on killing Strange as the only way. But it fit thematically with Defenders Strange thinking he had to kill America Chavez and MCU 616 Strange discovering that wasn't the case.

Seems like the question of whether you sacrifice one or more lives for the good of the universe(s) is becoming the MCU's dominant theme.

Gonna be honest, I really didn't like this movie much. The story felt all over the place like they had a few scenes they came up with and then just made up a halfassed story to try and tie those scenes together. Best part of the movie was Olsen who killed it

Incredible Member

I didn't mind the lineup, as it seemed they were combining comic book Illuminati team members with what would be easily available to post-endgame MCU.
    If they didn't have to shell out a million dollars to get Robert Downey, presumably he would have been on the team as it aligns with both the comics and movies. I agree with Captain Carter, but can buy it as Carter being more pragmatic than Rogers.

However, I minded how easily they got curbstomped. Presumably since they had previous fought together against Thanos, they know how to fight together. They didn't fight as a team at all. Sure, the shock about what happened to Black Bolt (their big gun) threw them off their game, but it was weird that Captain Britain and Captain Marvel didn't really fight together strategically. But alas, that has always been the comic book fate of multiversal counterparts - they exist so to prop up a baddie, and allow the viewer to experience their favorite hero dying without it really meaning anything.

Speaking of the Illuminati, I was disappointed that all were from Earth 838. I initialy thought that they were characters from other universes that came together which i think would have been a more interesting concept, especially if Strange joined the group in future films as the 616 representative but obviously thats not the direction they took

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I didn't mind the lineup, as it seemed they were combining comic book Illuminati team members with what would be easily available to post-endgame MCU.
    If they didn't have to shell out a million dollars to get Robert Downey, presumably he would have been on the team as it aligns with both the comics and movies. I agree with Captain Carter, but can buy it as Carter being more pragmatic than Rogers.

However, I minded how easily they got curbstomped. Presumably since they had previous fought together against Thanos, they know how to fight together. They didn't fight as a team at all. Sure, the shock about what happened to Black Bolt (their big gun) threw them off their game, but it was weird that Captain Britain and Captain Marvel didn't really fight together strategically. But alas, that has always been the comic book fate of multiversal counterparts - they exist so to prop up a baddie, and allow the viewer to experience their favorite hero dying without it really meaning anything.
    Ha, the way they all just politely challenged Wanda to one on one combat was kind of hilarious. And Reed even announced Black Bolt's powerset which was convenient for Wanda to say the least (but I forgive that because "what mouth?" is such a great moment).

The Illuminati stuff was honestly the weakest part of a great film for me personally. But I'll have to watch it again and see if I feel the same. It wasn't bad by any means, just didn't live up to the rest of the film's lofty standards. Felt a bit obligatory.

So was Supreme Strange a villain?

Ha, the way they all just politely challenged Wanda to one on one combat was kind of hilarious. And Reed even announced Black Bolt's powerset which was convenient for Wanda to say the least (but I forgive that because "what mouth?" is such a great moment).

The Illuminati stuff was honestly the weakest part of a great film for me personally. But I'll have to watch it again and see if I feel the same. It wasn't bad by any means, just didn't live up to the rest of the film's lofty standards. Felt a bit obligatory.
    That Illuminati scene was damn stupid. More I think about it more pissed I get. Black Bolt was their big gun so they needed a way to remove him from the board first but instead of doing it in a clever way they made Reed f'ing Richards aka "the smartest man alive" reveal his power to Wanda. Then Reed himself died like a chump. Chuck wasn't in the scene until later as well since having him from the start means he could have distracted Wanda's mind while the others do their thing. Captain Marvel could have tried to blitz Wanda instead of shooting beams at her etc. There were so many creative ways for that scene to progress but they chose the worst approach. That scene felt like they wanted to show how powerful Wanda is but instead they showed how incompetent Illuminati are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    That Illuminati scene was damn stupid. More I think about it more pissed I get. Black Bolt was their big gun so they needed a way to remove him from the board first but instead of doing it in a clever way they made Reed f'ing Richards aka "the smartest man alive" reveal his power to Wanda. Then Reed himself died like a chump. Chuck wasn't in the scene until later as well since having him from the start means he could have distracted Wanda's mind while the others do their thing. Captain Marvel could have tried to blitz Wanda instead of shooting beams at her etc. There were so many creative ways for that scene to progress but they chose the worst approach. That scene felt like they wanted to show how powerful Wanda is but instead they showed how incompetent Illuminati are.
    Yep, I hated that scene too and laughed out loud at how ridiculously dumb it all was. Wanda is powerful, but they also jobbed everyone too.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I was hoping Jonathan Pangborn would be in this and that Nicodemus West would play a bigger part was hoping both would be set up as future villains

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Yes, it was the Worf Effect in full view. Still, I enjoyed it. There is no question in my mind that a fully powered up Scarlet Witch could beat them. I think most of her fans would agree that it at least could happen, even if the Illuminati were organized and not stupid about it. The battle would have taken longer, more talking, more special effects, blah blah blah - and bogged the movie down. It was ok with me that they just got it over with quickly rather than making it all drawn out in the name of comic-accuracy.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 05-11-2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Speaking of the Illuminati, I was disappointed that all were from Earth 838. I initialy thought that they were characters from other universes that came together which i think would have been a more interesting concept, especially if Strange joined the group in future films as the 616 representative but obviously thats not the direction they took
    I totally agree with this.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Personally I’m not too fussed about the Illuminati being taken down so quickly - the movie isn’t about them, and I’m sure the Illuminati as a concept will be explored again (possibly as a multiversal team, but I don’t really like that idea myself). Also, they’re multiverse versions of these characters, I have no problem with them being absolutely decimated by our Wanda. If we lingered to much on them it would take away from the story and actually make it a glorified fan service cameo fest imo

With Reed being introduced in the MCU himself soon, I’m sure we’ll get him creating an Illuminati to take care of future incursions along with Doctor Strange.

Astonishing Member

The alternate universe Illuminati dying like chumps is straight out of Hickman's New Avengers #13-14, which again emphasizes that Hickman's Secret Wars is probably part of Feige's gameplan.