Astonishing Member

Default Superhero comics you read where their powers aren't the main selling point

Generally, I tend to read superhero comics where the leads are either non-powered or generally low-powered, like Batman, Captain America, etc. When I do read superhero comics where the leads posses significant powers, those powers are usually at the bottom of the reason I pick up the book. For example, I read various Superman books because it's more what a vastly powered person chooses to do with those powers rather than the powers themselves. Another example is She-Hulk. The character's just so damn charming that if she doesn't throw a single punch or lift a single tank for arcs it wouldn't take away from my enjoyment of her stories in the least.

Anyone else pick up any books where the powers aren't even a high selling point for you?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Banner's Hulk from Peter David - I'll always read it for the combination of humor & pathos

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-10-2023 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Generally, I tend to read superhero comics where the leads are either non-powered or generally low-powered, like Batman, Captain America, etc. When I do read superhero comics where the leads posses significant powers, those powers are usually at the bottom of the reason I pick up the book. For example, I read various Superman books because it's more what a vastly powered person chooses to do with those powers rather than the powers themselves. Another example is She-Hulk. The character's just so damn charming that if she doesn't throw a single punch or lift a single tank for arcs it wouldn't take away from my enjoyment of her stories in the least.

Anyone else pick up any books where the powers aren't even a high selling point for you?
    Daredevil.
    Black Adam.
    Red Goblin.

I never pick up books because of powers, but for the prospect of a good story told nicely…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Banner's Hulk from Peter David - I'll always read it for the combination of humor & pathos

This is a great example.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I never pick up books because of powers, but for the prospect of a good story told nicely…
    Same here. The posers themselves are rarely the main draw.

Noble Causes and Deity from Image.