Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is it time for a new handbook

I love handbooks it keeps you updated to what's going on in the MU.I think its past time for a handbook

Bearing in mind the comics landscape is completely different than it was in the eighties and the handbook will likely be out of date by the time it sees print and will be the cause of countless arguments on versus forums on multiple sites?

Heck yeah, let’s do it. I loved those those handbooks as a kid; so much fun to read, and I loved the art and history of the characters, diagrams of weapons and HQs, etc.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I loved those too! I would be great to see them as a monthly again!

I do have a hardcover a Fantastic Four Encylopedia that came out in 2004. It is out of date because naturally it doesn't have some of the newer developments. But sometimes you will see seldom used characters in there, like Gray Gargoyle, Lancer, the Grapplers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I loved those too! I would be great to see them as a monthly again!

I do have a hardcover a Fantastic Four Encylopedia that came out in 2004. It is out of date because naturally it doesn't have some of the newer developments. But sometimes you will see seldom used characters in there, like Gray Gargoyle, Lancer, the Grapplers, etc.
    ^^^Thats awesome!
    My in-laws have never understood my comics hobby, but after I got back from my what, second deployment to Afghanistan after 9/11 they got me this:

I still have it tucked away somewhere.

Loved these. Shame marvel never did a star wars one in the 80s.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Loved these. Shame marvel never did a star wars one in the 80s.

[IMG][/IMG]
    so weird that you chose that cover... it was the first issue of that series I bought, before I went out and found the previous 12, while waiting for the remainder to hit the racks

I like the hardcover coffee table books now. With all the retcons that take place every month now in almost every "segment" of the Marvel world, I don't know how I'd keep up with a "Marvel Universe Update" series of books. They'd be better off as themed books like the last reboot, what was it, 10+ years ago? They had themed floppy volumes based on spider-man, Avengers, X-Men, Thor, etc.

I'd love to see new handbooks, especially if they featured original profile art for the entries. One of the big disappointments for me with the more recent 2000's handbooks is that they didn't feature any original art.

Only sad thing is some of the non marvel owned characters in or have visited the marvel universe won't have profiles just talked about in other profiles. (like dr who and transformers in death's heads profile and alf in high revolutionary's profile )

Sorry for the ad in second photo. Grabbed it from google search.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have all of these stashed away in boxes somewhere. I used to loved these. I even have the old RPG handbooks from the 80’s tucked away. I never played any of the RPG ‘s but I collected the books anyways.

Astonishing Member

All the Wikis out there make handbooks obsolete. Though it would be nice if Marvel had an official handbook on their website.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I poured over the original OHOTMU and subsequent updates and guides. Loved them. But I think the modern era is better served by "living" wikis that are updated more frequently in real-time. Marvel should have its official wiki, sure, managed by its writers and editors, but I also like that readers have created their own wiki, which in many cases have more precise information than what the publisher provides.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I feel Marvel could do so much more with their website. I like Marvel Unlimited but their indexes need a lot of work. For example when I look up titles that Doom appears in the have a lot of things missing and then some they do list are in error and Doom doesn't appear in them at all. But it would be great to just have character profiles there like the independent wiki does.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I poured over the original OHOTMU and subsequent updates and guides. Loved them. But I think the modern era is better served by "living" wikis that are updated more frequently in real-time. Marvel should have its official wiki, sure, managed by its writers and editors, but I also like that readers have created their own wiki, which in many cases have more precise information than what the publisher provides.
    case in point - when I'm looking for accurate details about pretty much any character, I always check https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Database before I'll read anything on Marvel's official site. as you say, it seems the fans and readers keep the info more up to date than Marvel themselves do, so... generally speaking, I'd have to agree that the era of the handbook is over, now that the internet exists.

and this is speaking as someone who became a Marvel fan BECAUSE of the handbooks

I love the Handbooks! Would love to see a new edition. According to a friend who said he "informally" heard a rumor--Marvel may release a new set within the next few years.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!